Logs lost on joining cloud

mjwr...@eclhws.com

Apr 1, 2020, 10:48:01 AM4/1/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I have been happily using Subsurface Mobile on my iPhone (version 3.0.1(4.9.3.1251)) by entering data manually and have been very pleased with it. When I opened the app earlier this afternoon it asked me to register for the cloud storage so I did so, but it then immediately cleared all my 141 dive logs and is now showing "No dives in dive list". Can you please tell me how to retrieve the lost dives?

Dirk Hohndel

Apr 1, 2020, 11:06:07 AM4/1/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Using the app with only local storage is possible, but generally not
what it was designed for. Normally when you transition from local
storage to cloud storage, the app should store the local data to the
cloud - but it appears that is not what happened for you. Since the
data are stored in two different locations, they should still be on
your device. So the easiest way to get them back would be to go to
settings and switch back to no cloud mode.

Of course I would like to understand what is going wrong - that would
have been easiest if you had sent an in-app support request right when
it happened, as that would hopefully have given me some insights into
what the app thought it was doing and why that failed.

I'll try to recreate the scenario here (it's not something that I test
frequently) and hopefully will figure out how to make sure this works
better in the future.

/D

mjwr...@eclhws.com

Apr 1, 2020, 11:24:32 AM4/1/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Dirk,
Thanks for the prompt response. To my relief, you are absolutely right and when I reset to "No cloud mode" the dive list reappears in full. Having tried to reinstate the cloud storage again and sync from the local list, nothing transfers to the cloud but at least the original data is still intact at the local level. Is there anything I can do to make the sync work or shall I just continue using local storage? Sorry to take up your time. I'm sure you have better things to do than deal with dinosaurs like me!
Thanks and regards, Martin

Danila Mansfield

Apr 1, 2020, 11:31:07 AM4/1/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Martin,
I'm also a dinosaur, recently started using Subsurface (it's going well, thanks to everyone's patience and input!)
Are you syncing between laptop/cloud/mobile?
I'm recreating all my dives (having stopped logging a few years ago, and now decided to re-start!)
I'm entering on laptop, save locally, then save to cloud. Then I open the mobile app, and do a manual sync with cloud, and magically they all appear.
What process are you using?
cheers, Danila

Dirk Hohndel

Apr 1, 2020, 11:33:04 AM4/1/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Martin,

I'm happy to hear that (as expected) you still have your data. As I
said, I will try to replicate your issue and ensure that the transition
to cloud storage once again works in Subsurface-mobile 3.1 (you should
get an update to 3.0.2 today, but that was released yesterday, before I
even saw your report).

I am certain that we'll be able to get this to work so you, too, can
take advantage of the cloud storage.

/D

mjwr...@eclhws.com

Apr 1, 2020, 11:43:49 AM4/1/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Thank you. I will try again once the update has been processed and let you know how it goes.
all the best, martin

mjwr...@eclhws.com

Apr 1, 2020, 11:54:57 AM4/1/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Danila, Thanks for your post. I am just using the mobile app on my iPhone. Today was the first time the app asked me to join the cloud, so I did but it wouldn't pick up the dives stored on the iPhone. I panicked a bit and thought I had lost all the data and would have to manually re-enter it. Dirk calmly came to my rescue, knowing (as I obviously didn't!) that the data was still there and just not being picked up, which was a huge relief. I will try again once the update has gone through. I will endeavour to use the cloud, particularly as Dirk recommends it, but it would not be the end of the world if I had to "stay local". Despite this issue, I really like the app and having all the dive records at my fingertips is a great resource. All the best, martin