Unable to access cloud storage and unable to download data from Suunto Zoop Novo

Matt Ruglys

Apr 23, 2021, 10:47:43 PM4/23/21
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi, I am using Subsurface 5.0.1 on a MacBook Air running macOS 11.2.3. Both are recent updates. Having used Subsurface quite satisfactorily for years today I was not able to access my cloud storage data (however the app on my iPhone can access the cloud data). Then when I went to download my dive from my Suunto Zoop Novo I got an error message (see attachment).
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Matt
Screen Shot 2021-04-24 at 14.22.38.png

Dirk Hohndel

Apr 24, 2021, 4:28:54 PM4/24/21
to Subsurface Divelog
The cloud storage issue should be fixed.

The issue with your serial device is of course completely unrelated... macOS 11 disabled a lot of kernel drivers. I wonder if that includes the Suunto driver / actually likely an FTDI driver that you were using.
Has this ever worked since you updated to macOS 11?

/D

Message has been deleted

Matt Ruglys

Apr 24, 2021, 8:18:41 PM4/24/21
to Subsurface Divelog
The cloud storage is good now, thanks. This was the first time I had tried to connect the Zoop Novo to Subsurface since updating to macOS 11

Matt Ruglys

Apr 27, 2021, 9:39:36 PM4/27/21
to Subsurface Divelog
The data download problem with Suunto DCs seems to have happened before, ( https://groups.google.com/g/subsurface-divelog/c/RZV5OuBu_FE ) but Subsurface updates seem to have fixed it. I am now running macOS 11.3, nothing else has changed. From what I read there is an enduring problem with Big Sur and FTDI drivers. Is anyone else having this problem, and if they have got it to work - how did you do it? Thanks, Matt

Linus Torvalds

Apr 27, 2021, 9:46:19 PM4/27/21
to Subsurface Divelog
On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 6:39 PM Matt Ruglys <mattr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From what I read there is an enduring problem with Big Sur and FTDI drivers.

Have you tried using just "FTDI" as the device node (instead of the
/dev/tty* ones)? That skips the OS serial driver, and uses libusb to
talk directly to the FTDI chip.

That seems to work for some people.

Linus

Matt Ruglys

Apr 27, 2021, 10:15:48 PM4/27/21
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Linus
Sorry but I have no idea how to do that! :)
Matt

Linus Torvalds

Apr 27, 2021, 10:25:02 PM4/27/21
to Subsurface Divelog
On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 7:15 PM Matt Ruglys <mattr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry but I have no idea how to do that! :)

When you've selected "Suunto" and "Zoop Novo" as your dive computers,
just type in "FTDI" in the "Device or Mountpoint" box (instead of the
default /dev/tty.usbserial.. that shows up)

Linus

Matt Ruglys

Apr 27, 2021, 10:42:34 PM4/27/21
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, that worked perfectly, thank you Linus!
Matt