Petrel 3 download error 5.0.10

David Liddle

Nov 3, 2022, 9:23:01 AM11/3/22
to Subsurface Divelog
Never used this software before...

Dell laptop using windows 11 with Subsurface 5.0.10 and importing connection is bluetooth.

Using a Petrel 3 hardwired to a JJ rebreather head.

Paired the dive computer using bluetooth to the laptop.

Ran the shearwater desktop and imported my dive not an issue.

Shut shearwater desktop and started Subsurface.

Discovered the device; Petrel 3 ok.

Press download and it connects and starts to import the dive into subsurface but then pops up and error message as soon as it starts the import.

Attached the little popup error message; the message pops up at the start of the import.

Non Urgent...

Thanks

Dave

subsurface_err_01.jpg

Darrell Barabash

Nov 5, 2022, 1:20:52 PM11/5/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
> From: David Liddle <scubadiv...@gmail.com>
> Never used this software before...

Welcome David! Subsurface is, by far, the most capable dive log and
planner out there. And it's written by divers, for divers. I use it
with Scubapro, Uwatec, Mares and Shearwater computers. Really an
incredible piece of work by many, many people when you step back and
consider.

> Dell laptop using windows 11 with Subsurface 5.0.10 and importing
> connection is bluetooth.
>
> Using a Petrel 3 hardwired to a JJ rebreather head.
>
> Paired the dive computer using bluetooth to the laptop.
>
> Ran the shearwater desktop and imported my dive not an issue.
>
> Shut shearwater desktop and started Subsurface.
>
> Discovered the device; Petrel 3 ok.

Petrel 3 support was added a few months ago. I run MINT Linux and use a
BLE dongle on my PC. Understand this isn't Windows but wanted to check
for you that version 5.0.10 didn't somehow break the Petrel 3 support.
It did not. Connected right away and was able to download 8 dives, some
single tank and one two tank without any issues at all. Seems then that
the problem might be some issue with Windows and BLE. I don't have
direct experience with it but get the impression from others that it
can be inconsistent.

> Press download and it connects and starts to import the dive into
> subsurface but then pops up and error message as soon as it starts
> the
> import.

Might I suggest ... when you do "Import from Dive Computer", select
Shearwater and Petrel 3. Then click "Choose Bluetooth download mode"
and click on the "..." box to the right. That opens up a new window and
then click the "Scan" button. Find the Petrel 3 on the list and "save".
Then try "Download" again and see if this helps.

If it doesn't, select "Save libdivecomputer logfile" and also "Save
libdivecomputer dumpfile" try again and then reply to this group with
those files attached.

I'm not smart enough to decipher the logs but the experts in this group
are and might be able to give you some more specific things to try.

The group is very helpful. Don't feel like you'll be left to fend for
yourself!

Darrell ...

David Liddle

Nov 6, 2022, 5:10:06 AM11/6/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for assistance...

Tried the download a few times...

there is no bin file

subsurface.log
subsurface_err.log
subsurface_out.log

Jef Driesen

Nov 6, 2022, 5:14:42 AM11/6/22
to David Liddle, Subsurface Divelog
The Petrel protocol doesn't support downloading a memory dump. Trying to
download a memory dump will always fail. You need to select just the "Save
libdivecomputer logfile" checkbox, and send the log.
> <mailto:subsurface-divelog%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/subsurface-divelog/4250b2157a8042512c1b14120bf587fa9e8403cf.camel%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/subsurface-divelog/4250b2157a8042512c1b14120bf587fa9e8403cf.camel%40gmail.com>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/subsurface-divelog/CAJ1y%3DVeqS7dwQe5xYq7G%2BshmxJHXsgtwGyYwARuw8GMSm0x%3DBA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/subsurface-divelog/CAJ1y%3DVeqS7dwQe5xYq7G%2BshmxJHXsgtwGyYwARuw8GMSm0x%3DBA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Liddle

Nov 6, 2022, 5:17:12 AM11/6/22
to Jef Driesen, Subsurface Divelog
Ok, thanks for the quick reply...

Pretty sure I did the log files also or should I do them again...

The error is in there... but I can do it again... if requires

rick.warren4

Nov 6, 2022, 9:17:15 AM11/6/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Jef Driesen
I use a Petral 3 (open Circuit) and Petral 2 (Rebreather) and both Shearwater computers can be troublesome to get to connect to Subsurface on my mobile (Android) and laptop (Microsoft, unfortunately).

I sometimes have to try to connect  multiple times but, eventually it will connect and download dives.

I have issues like this with Shearwater Cloud (vendor's dive logger) on both the mobile and laptop also though so I feel it is mostly an issue with Bluetooth protocols more than the log apps themselves.

Wish I could offer a solution other than keep trying and eventually it will connect but, at least you know you are not suffering alone.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/subsurface-divelog/CAJ1y%3DVf-wFYxA3Fmw6dUkv6D6Tzoc5rrFTHcOncrriOOgmMNqQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Linus Torvalds

Nov 6, 2022, 2:59:29 PM11/6/22
On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 6:17 AM rick.warren4 <rick.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have issues like this with Shearwater Cloud (vendor's dive logger) on both the mobile and laptop also though so I feel it is mostly an issue with Bluetooth protocols more than the log apps themselves.

It's probably a combination of the bluetooth hardware and the firmware
on the older Shearwaters.

The newer gen Perdix 2 apparently has a new BLE chip, and is both
faster and more reliable to download.

I would have *thought* that the Petrel 3 also shared the new hardware,
so I would have expected that the endless BLE connection problems were
a thing of the past.

Let me go look at the logs.

Linus

Linus Torvalds

Nov 6, 2022, 3:22:05 PM11/6/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Jef Driesen
On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 11:59 AM Linus Torvalds
<torv...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> Let me go look at the logs.

Hmm. Everything looks good initially:

Found service "{00001800-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}"
.. ignoring standard service
Found service "{00001801-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}"
.. ignoring standard service
Found service "{fe25c237-0ece-443c-b0aa-e02033e7029d}"
.. recognized service Shearwater (Perdix/Teric/Peregrine)
starting service characteristics discovery
.. service state changed to QLowEnergyService::DiscoveringServices
.. service state changed to QLowEnergyService::ServiceDiscovered
.. done discovering services
Found service "{fe25c237-0ece-443c-b0aa-e02033e7029d}" "Unknown Service"
c: "{27b7570b-359e-45a3-91bb-cf7e70049bd2}"
d: "{00002902-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}"
d: "{00002901-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}"
Using service "{fe25c237-0ece-443c-b0aa-e02033e7029d}" as preferred service
.. enabling notifications

and that's all the normal Shearwater GATT services, and we're
recognizing it ("recognized service Shearwater") and picking the
correct one.

But then when we want to enable notifications (to get replies), we have this:

Using read characteristic "{27b7570b-359e-45a3-91bb-cf7e70049bd2}"
now writing "0x0100" to the descriptor
"{00002902-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}"
error discovering service details QLowEnergyService::DescriptorWriteError

and that "DescriptorWriteError" means that things went south. We
*should* have seen

Descriptor write confirmation
"{fe25c237-0ece-443c-b0aa-e02033e7029d}" 14 "0100"
QLowEnergyService::NoError
BLE write completed

instead.

We then try to send a command anyway:

QTime("21:02:21.768") packet SEND "0100ff0105002e902000c0"

but even if that were to work, we'd never get a reply because the
notifications needed for reading the reply were never enabled. I doubt
it worked, and instead returned and error, and we just do

Deleting BLE object
Finishing download thread: "Dive data import error"

and that's all she wrote.

Anyway, this doesn't much look like the old traditional Shearwater
issues where even just finding the device and doing service discovery
was sometimes a chore and the dive computer just wouldn't respond.
This looks like everything works, but then the dive computer is
explicitly rejecting us writing to it.

Anyway, an inability to enable notifications is almost certainly due
to the dive computer having been paired securely, and probably using a
long-term key (LTK, one that isn't per-connection).

So I would not be surprised at all if what is going on is that the
Shearwater Cloud application did its own private secure pairing, and
then when you try to connect from another machine, or even on the same
machine without subsurface knowing about the LTK, any access will fail
due to key mismatch errors.

It is also quite possible that even if the LTK is maintained by the
system, the QtBluetooth subsystem isn't able to deal with it. We've
actually seem these kinds of errors occasionally before (from
non-Shearwater cases), and the previous cases seem to have been mainly
on Windows (but I see one that looks like MacOS). And QtBluetooth has
traditionally been weakest and had the most problems there.

So in at least one other case downloading from an iphone instead of
the windows machine "fixed" the issue.

You might also try to just explicitly unpair and re-pair the
Shearwater, _without_ running Shearwater Cloud. In case it's that
Shearwater Cloud enables some secure pairing thing.

It might be something entirely different, of course, but from the logs
it really does look like some secure pairing issue where subsurface
doesn't end up using the proper security key.

Linus

David Liddle

Nov 6, 2022, 6:48:38 PM11/6/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
OK thanks...

I did not have shearwater could running at the time of the download.

I do have the Petrel 3 paired with my laptop so I will unpair it and try again.

I paid it with my laptop as Subsurface could not locate the computer until I paired it with my laptop.

David Liddle

Nov 8, 2022, 3:30:57 AM11/8/22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Ok I unpaired my Petrel 3 from the laptop.

Rebooted the laptop...

Paired the Petrel 3 to the laptop.

Ran Subsurface and was able to connect and download the dives from the Petrel 3.

Tried to download again but dump the output to log files but it kept erroring so I am sorry but I am not able to get you a good dump for your analysis; I will see if I can dump first and the download after the next dive.

Thanks so much

Dave