Can't connect to Suunto vyper (Gentoo laptop)

Fredrik Park

May 19, 2019, 7:46:21 AM5/19/19
to Subsurface Divelog
When posting questions you can help us answer you more quickly if you make sure you include some basic information:
  • Which version are you using (hint: look at the About screen)?
  • Which OS are you running?
  • (if applicable) which dive computer are you using?
Feel free to delete this text when posting your question.

Using Subsurface-4.8.6-x86_64.AppImage on a Gentoo based laptop.

When I try to download my dives from my Suunto Vyper I get the following error in the log.

Starting download from  /dev/suunto2
[0.000112] ERROR: Inappropriate ioctl for device (25) [in ../../src/serial_posix.c:304 (dc_serial_open)]
Finishing download thread: "Unable to open /dev/suunto2 Suunto (Vyper)"

Steps I have taken to try to ammend this.

My user is in the usb group
> groups
wheel audio usb users plugdev sedrik

I have added a udev rule
> cat /etc/udev/rules.d/99-suunto.rules
SUBSYSTEM
=="usb",ATTR{idVendor}=="0403",ATTR{idProduct}=="f680", MODE="0666", SYMLINK+="suunto%n"

here is the lsusb output for the device

> lsusb -D /dev/suunto2
Device: ID 0403:f680 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd Suunto Sports Instrument
Device Descriptor:
  bLength
18
  bDescriptorType
1
  bcdUSB
2.00
  bDeviceClass
0
  bDeviceSubClass
0
  bDeviceProtocol
0
  bMaxPacketSize0
8
  idVendor
0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
  idProduct
0xf680 Suunto Sports Instrument
  bcdDevice
6.00
  iManufacturer
1 Suunto
  iProduct
2 Suunto Sports Instrument
  iSerial
3 ST01VUXQ
  bNumConfigurations
1

Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength
9
    bDescriptorType
2
    wTotalLength
0x0020
    bNumInterfaces
1
    bConfigurationValue
1
    iConfiguration
0
    bmAttributes
0xa0

(Bus Powered)

Remote Wakeup

MaxPower              300mA

Interface Descriptor:
      bLength
9
      bDescriptorType
4
      bInterfaceNumber
0
      bAlternateSetting
0
      bNumEndpoints
2
      bInterfaceClass
255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass
255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol
255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface
2 Suunto Sports Instrument

Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength
7
        bDescriptorType
5
        bEndpointAddress
0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes
2

Transfer Type            Bulk

Synch Type               None

Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize
0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval
0

Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength
7
        bDescriptorType
5
        bEndpointAddress
0x02  EP 2 OUT
        bmAttributes
2

Transfer Type            Bulk

Synch Type               None

Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize
0x0040  1x 64 bytes
        bInterval
0
can
't get device qualifier: Resource temporarily unavailable
can'
t get debug descriptor: Resource temporarily unavailable
Device Status:     0x0000

(Bus Powered)

Anyone that can help me get the dive computer to work?

Linus Torvalds

May 19, 2019, 3:32:31 PM5/19/19
to Subsurface Divelog
On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 4:46 AM Fredrik Park <sir.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Starting download from /dev/suunto2
> [0.000112] ERROR: Inappropriate ioctl for device (25) [in ../../src/serial_posix.c:304 (dc_serial_open)]
> Finishing download thread: "Unable to open /dev/suunto2 Suunto (Vyper)"

I think you're trying to open the raw USB device, judging by your udev rule.

The device *should* show up as a serial device, ie something like
/dev/ttyUSB0, thanks to the ftdi driver. What does dmesg report when
you plug in the cable?

Linus

Fredrik Park

May 20, 2019, 7:06:03 AM5/20/19
to Subsurface Divelog
After enabling USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO and adding my user to the uucp group I was able to get it to work. I did remove the udev rule as well.

Many thanks for the pointers and the amazing divelog software :)