Manually adding dives, sync with DiveMate

Danila Mansfield

Mar 7, 2020, 9:54:13 AM3/7/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Greetings, new to Subsurface, like it so far! I've re-started logging after several years of not logging. Have Cressi Leonardo. Bought FusionIR, got Leonardo to upload to DiveMate on android phone, have managed to sync DM to Subsurface, on Windows 10 laptop and have the dives on Subsurface now.
I'd like to try to recreate/log my past dives, detail won't be possible, but something like 1-20 Belize. 21-30 Cozumel etc. What's the best format that I can then sync to Subsurface, and from there to DiveMate, that I can do maximum copy/paste, rather than manually type in 900 dives! Excel spreadsheet, CSV, something else? Is there a FAQ or help video somewhere please?
Many thanks! Danila

Dirk Hohndel

Mar 7, 2020, 11:03:02 AM3/7/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Please look at Appendix D in the Subsurface user manual: https://subsurface-divelog.org/documentation/subsurface-4-user-manual/

/D

Danila Mansfield

Mar 7, 2020, 12:54:03 PM3/7/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Dirk, many thanks for that! that helps me a great deal with the CSV.
Any thoughts as to whether I can export from Subsurface to DiveMate, to sync the 2?
- Danila

On Mar 7, 2020, at 6:54 AM, Danila Mansfield <danilama...@gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings, new to Subsurface, like it so far! I've re-started logging after several years of not logging. Have Cressi Leonardo. Bought FusionIR, got Leonardo to upload to DiveMate on android phone, have managed to sync DM to Subsurface, on Windows 10 laptop and have the dives on Subsurface now.
I'd like to try to recreate/log my past dives, detail won't be possible, but something like 1-20 Belize. 21-30 Cozumel etc. What's the best format that I can then sync to Subsurface, and from there to DiveMate, that I can do maximum copy/paste, rather than manually type in 900 dives! Excel spreadsheet, CSV, something else? Is there a FAQ or help video somewhere please?
Many thanks! Danila

Dirk Hohndel

Mar 7, 2020, 1:48:01 PM3/7/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I honestly have no idea. DIveMate is a commercial product that I personally have never used.
I'd suggest asking their support team.

/D

Jason Bramwell

Mar 7, 2020, 2:30:38 PM3/7/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

I’m not aware of a way to sync the logbooks but I know you can transfer data back and forth.

A friend was a DiveMate user and I was trying to switch him over to Subsurface and I believe we got his DiveMate data over to Subsurface via divelogs.de, this is not an ideal process but we figured it was a one-time transfer and from that point forward he’d use Subsurface to log his dives.

DiveMate say they can import Subsurface dives (https://www.facebook.com/DiveMateUSB/photos/a.130999980440218/302822836591264/?type=1&theater) so there is a manual way you can push dive data back and forth but it’s not a true sync.

If you are now using Subsurface, what is your reason for still wanting to use DiveMate? The only thing I can really think of is that you are using a tablet to download your computer and that computer is not currently supported by Subsurface-mobile on the tablet. If your computer downloads via Bluetooth then it may well be compatible with Subsurface-mobile, if it downloads via a cable or even IR then this may not currently be supported.

Regards

JB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/subsurface-divelog/5DC86B54-21C5-4DB7-A1B6-8FDA4446A8B6%40hohndel.org.

Dirk Hohndel

Mar 7, 2020, 2:45:10 PM3/7/20
to Subsurface Divelog

On Mar 7, 2020, at 11:30 AM, Jason Bramwell <jb2...@gmail.com> wrote:

I’m not aware of a way to sync the logbooks but I know you can transfer data back and forth.

A friend was a DiveMate user and I was trying to switch him over to Subsurface and I believe we got his DiveMate data over to Subsurface via divelogs.de, this is not an ideal process but we figured it was a one-time transfer and from that point forward he’d use Subsurface to log his dives.

DiveMate say they can import Subsurface dives (https://www.facebook.com/DiveMateUSB/photos/a.130999980440218/302822836591264/?type=1&theater) so there is a manual way you can push dive data back and forth but it’s not a true sync.

Thanks for the information - that's good to know.

If you are now using Subsurface, what is your reason for still wanting to use DiveMate? The only thing I can really think of is that you are using a tablet to download your computer and that computer is not currently supported by Subsurface-mobile on the tablet. If your computer downloads via Bluetooth then it may well be compatible with Subsurface-mobile, if it downloads via a cable or even IR then this may not currently be supported.

As luck would have it, we finally found a new contributor who is working on USB-serial support for Android. So there's a very good chance that we'll soon have USB-serial support on Android - but of course not on iOS.

I hope to have a beta version that enables this fairly soon.

So there may be even fewer reasons not to use Subsurface-mobile. :-)

/D

Jason Bramwell

Mar 7, 2020, 3:37:32 PM3/7/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

I’ve downloaded DiveMate onto my tablet and it says it can import “.xml/.ssrf (Subsurface Logbook) files located on your SD card in the folder DiveMate/Import”. This ‘may’ mean that you can use Subsurface as the primary logging application and store your data in the native Subsurface .ssrf format and DiveMate will just read it. I have tried this though and can’t get DiveMate to import the files even though I seem to be doing what it says, this might be because I don’t have the £6.99 ‘Data pack’ installed or it might mean that it isn’t quite this simple (it doesn’t work with a single exported dive either though so I think this might be because I don’t have the ‘Data pack’ installed).

If this did work this would however mean that you wouldn’t be able to use the Subsurface cloud storage but you would instead have to use a different mechanism like Google Drive or Dropbox to sync your files between devices (I did this for years and it works fine).

Can we have a little more info from you about your reasons for wanting to use both Subsurface AND DiveMate in parallel and your use-case, this may allow us to come up with a mode of operation that would work for you. This would possibly need some form of compromise from you though like having to perform manual syncs/exports. Re-reading your original request I think I can see now the reason for you using DiveMate and not Subsurface-mobile, that is because your computer uses an IR connection.

If you are willing to spend £6.99 for the ‘Data pack’ then you should be able to test this by just making some dummy dives in Subsurface and then trying to sync over to DiveMate (either exporting each individual dive or telling DiveMate to import your entire Subsurface logbook).

Jason

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mar 7, 2020, 3:59:19 PM3/7/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,
"Can we have a little more info from you about your reasons for wanting to use both Subsurface AND DiveMate in parallel and your use-case, this may allow us to come up with a mode of operation that would work for you. This would possibly need some form of compromise from you though like having to perform manual syncs/exports. Re-reading your original request I think I can see now the reason for you using DiveMate and not Subsurface-mobile, that is because your computer uses an IR connection. "
My computer is an old Cressi Leonardo, and will only connect with IR. I didn't want to spend money on the Cressi-only connection, as it's likely I'll upgrade in the future (just not quite ready to yet!) and the FusionIR will connect it to DiveMate. I can't seem to get the Leonardo/FusionIR combo to connect with Subsurface on my laptop. I'll try again with the drivers that Linus suggested. I was using DiveMate because I needed something to upload dives onto my phone, if I don't take my laptop on dive trips. But I prefer to work on my laptop rather than phone, so that's why I was using both s/w.
Do you happen to know if there's a way to upload from Leonardo to Subsurface Mobile?
Thanks so much for all the help!

---

Read my travel blog: www.notdunroamin.com

Jason Bramwell

Mar 7, 2020, 5:00:13 PM3/7/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for that additional info. Hopefully with those drivers that Linus suggested and a bit of luck you’ll manage to get Subsurface talking to the FusionIR (DiveMate say that it is compatible with Windows after all) and thus the Cressi Leonardo, I used to use Subsurface with IR (not the FusionIR, just a standard dongle) when my girlfriend had an Uwatec Galileo Luna and it worked just fine. To identify the correct COM port to use, have a look what ports Subsurface lists with the FusionIR disconnected and then look again with the FusionIR connected, you should see an additional COM port show up when the FusionIR is connected providing the drivers are installed ok, that new COM port would be the one to use.

Uploading from the Leonardo to Subsurface-mobile is probably a no-go at this time, this may change in the future like Dirk suggested but probably wasting your time going that route for the time being.

As I see it you currently have a couple of options

  • Dive computer downloads direct to Subsurface on Windows laptop (providing you get the FusionIR working), this is by far the simplest but requires you to lug a laptop around.
  • Dive computer downloads to DiveMate on phone and then that exports data to Subsurface via various routes (individual dive export, possibly entire dive log exports). This is a manual export/import operation but should be relatively straight forward. Depending what option you use and depending whether you then make additional changes to the dive log in Subsurface you may then need to export/import/sync in reverse too prior to your next trip so that DiveMate has the most up to date info. This could be important as if you didn’t do this there is the possibility that when you next did the export from DiveMate to Subsurface you’d then overwrite valuable data. This risk would be minimised if you did individual dive exports though so that might be my suggestion (I’m very protective about my dive log data).

I’ve bought the data pack so that I can do some testing for you. The Dropbox/Google Drive sync thing built into DiveMate should do exactly what you need and should simplify things for you.

Will report back.

Jb

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Danila Mansfield

Mar 7, 2020, 5:15:04 PM3/7/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I looked at the driver link that Linus provided, but I am so non-techy, I haven't got a clue what to do now! I see drivers listed: VCP, D2XX, D3XX, but when I click on them, none of them mention using IR to connect, so I'm rather stuck.
I bought the DiveMate data pack, and was able to upload from DiveMate to Subsurface, but haven't been able to do it in reverse (which I'd like to do when I manually add in my previous approx 900 non-logged dives!)
Stumbling my way through technology here, thanks so much for all your patience and support!

---

Read my travel blog: www.notdunroamin.com

Jason Bramwell

Mar 7, 2020, 5:52:15 PM3/7/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

For the IR drivers, I’m pretty sure it’s the VCP drivers you need. https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm. If you are UK based and anywhere near me (I’m in Berkshire/Surrey) then I’m happy to try working with you directly to get this sorted on your laptop.

I also bought the data pack for testing this out for you and am seeing exactly the same behaviour, I can get the dives out of DiveMate and import these to Subsurface (even though most of the information is lost as it’s simply not exported) but then if I edit these dives to add extra information or add additional dives via Subsurface I can’t go the other way to update DiveMate (their software says that this should work). DiveMate might be fine as a stand-alone app but the import/export tools don’t really seem to work properly.

The way I personally would do it would be to use Subsurface as my ‘master’ and use DiveMate purely as a data transfer tool (Cressi Leonardo to DiveMate on the phone exporting to Subsurface where you’ll add all your information/data) accepting the fact that this would be sub-optimal (it would make logging whilst on trips a bit harder for you). DiveMate is possibly a required tool if you want to download via the phone with your current computer (because of the IR) but if you were willing to forego the ability to use the phone and do everything on the laptop (this would be my preference as there are then fewer ‘moving parts’) then see if you can return the FusionIR (and the data pack), ditch DiveMate altogether and instead buy the official Cressi IR adapter and use this directly with Subsurface. Do bear in mind that these are my personal views and not the views of the Subsurface developers.

JB

Dirk Hohndel

Mar 7, 2020, 5:57:59 PM3/7/20
to Subsurface Divelog

On Mar 7, 2020, at 2:52 PM, Jason Bramwell  wrote:

For the IR drivers, I’m pretty sure it’s the VCP drivers you need. https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm. If you are UK based and anywhere near me (I’m in Berkshire/Surrey) then I’m happy to try working with you directly to get this sorted on your laptop.

You are a rock star, Jason... you spent your money on software you don't need, you are offering to help in person. That's really above and beyond...

[...]

I am wondering if the Cressi Leonardo would work with the latest Subsurface-mobile Android Beta.

IIRC, this one isn't really IRDA, it's just an FTDI cable that uses IR to talk to the dive computer.
So I think there's a very good chance that with the Android usb-serial support that was added TODAY this might actually just work...

/D

Danila Mansfield

Mar 8, 2020, 8:17:11 AM3/8/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Jason, you are indeed a rock star! I'm immensely grateful for your suggestions, and your very kind offer to work on this personally! I'm not that far from you (SE London, Kent) but I'm rather home-bound, as I'm currently caring for my elderly mum.
My preference would be to take my laptop when I'm able to get away for diving (only once or twice a year currently) and not bother uploading dives to my phone, but it's not always feasible to travel with a laptop.
I'm going to keep trying all the suggestions, when I run into a road block, you can be sure I'll ask more questions!
Thanks so very much!
- Danila

---

Read my travel blog: www.notdunroamin.com

Danila Mansfield

Mar 8, 2020, 2:01:02 PM3/8/20
to Subsurface Divelog
By the way, in case you're wondering, I'm also asking DiveMate support the same questions about problems syncing from Subsurface back to DiveMate, but no replies so far!
I created a test dive manually in Subsurface, and then tried exporting to DiveMate, so I can keep both systems in sync, but no luck. DiveMate just tells me 60 dives imported not the 60 plus 1 test dive.
Any suggestions please?

Jason Bramwell

Mar 8, 2020, 4:59:18 PM3/8/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

No suggestions really, it sounds like you are doing everything correctly, this is the same as I was trying for you last night but the DiveMate import just doesn’t seem to work, that’s why i’m getting a little frustrated with it (especially since this is a pay-for feature).

I guess see what the DiveMate people say, they may be able to fix it from their end and make it work.

Jason

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

By the way, in case you're wondering, I'm also asking DiveMate support the same questions about problems syncing from Subsurface back to DiveMate, but no replies so far!

Danila Mansfield

Mar 8, 2020, 5:02:51 PM3/8/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
thanks so much Jason - you're responding to DiveMate issues, and they're not!
much appreciated!!

---

Read my travel blog: www.notdunroamin.com