Buddy table?

roneyrod

Mar 10, 2020, 4:35:31 PM3/10/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hello,

The software seems to keep the dive buddy list somewhere. It is a relational database, right? When I start entering a name it gives me a list of already stored dive buddies. However I can't find a way of managing that table the way I can with dive sites. It would be nice to be able to edit a dive buddy name and see it reflected in all dives in which they are.

I am pretty certain the table exists, it's just a matter of having access to it...

Thanks for the great job!

Roney

Jason Bramwell

Mar 10, 2020, 4:48:50 PM3/10/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
It’s not a database like you are thinking, it’s more a dynamically created list based on information in the log.

If for example boy have a load of dives with a buddy called Bob and you want to change his name to Bobby then the only real way to change this is to go through every dive with Bob and change the name to Bobby. Whilst you are doing this you’ll see entries for Bob AND Bobby but once you change the last Bob to Bobby then Bob will no longer appear as an option.

This can be a bit labour intensive but of course you can do a simple find/replace to change all the entries at once, this isn’t baked into Subsurface itself (I don’t think) but you can easily do this with a text editor.

Happy to do this for you if you are not comfortable doing this yourself.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

Linus Torvalds

Mar 10, 2020, 4:48:55 PM3/10/20
to Subsurface Divelog
On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:35 PM roneyrod <ron...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am pretty certain the table exists, it's just a matter of having access to it...

Nope.

There's no separate table for buddies, the autocomplete help when
entering a buddy is entirely based on just previous buddies you've
added.

Linus

Linus Torvalds

Mar 10, 2020, 5:08:34 PM3/10/20
to Subsurface Divelog
On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 1:48 PM Jason Bramwell <jb2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This can be a bit labour intensive but of course you can do a simple find/replace to change all the entries at once, this isn’t baked into Subsurface itself (I don’t think) but you can easily do this with a text editor.

Yeah, I end up editing the xml files directly (or the git files).

That said, subsurface does have _some_ support for doing it from
within the program itself - namely by just editing multiple dives at
the same time.

And you can combine the "edit multiple dives at the same time" with
the dive filtering logic.

So start out by filtering (^F) by buddy being "Bob".

And then select all those dives, and then edit the buddy from "Bob" to "Bobby".

That should change every dive where you have "Bob" as a buddy to
having "Bobby" as a buddy.

NOTE! Our "edit multiple dives at the same time" feature is very
cool, but it's also been broken multiple times, and has been known to
be slow. So be very very careful. It worked for me when I just tested
it, but I'll be honest: I was surprised when it did.

Linus

roneyrod

Mar 10, 2020, 5:21:14 PM3/10/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Thanks for the response and for your generous offer, Jason. I really appreciate it, but no need. I can do it.

I've been doing what Linus suggested (multiple dive editing), but editing the xml on a text editor is a very good idea.

Thanks again.

Roney

roneyrod

Mar 10, 2020, 5:26:02 PM3/10/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Thank you for your reply, Linus.

Having the buddies listed separately would add the capability of getting stats for each buddy: number of dives, for example. Not really a top-high priority, I admit...

I'm super happy with the software, thanks for your great work.

Roney

Barnaby S

Mar 11, 2020, 5:42:09 AM3/11/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I do like the idea of being able to pull stats out about how many dives are done with a particular buddy.

Robert C. Helling

Mar 11, 2020, 6:22:57 AM3/11/20
to Subsurface Divelog

Am Mittwoch, 11. März 2020 10:42:09 UTC+1 schrieb Barnaby S:
I do like the idea of being able to pull stats out about how many dives are done with a particular buddy.

For individual buddies you can easily do that: Use the filter to show only dives with that particular buddy (as Linus described), then the window title will tell you how many dives are filtered.

Best
Robert