Subsurface 4.9.6 will not start under BigSur

Oliver Baumeister

Jul 22, 2020, 6:03:53 AM7/22/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I just updated to Big Sur 11.0 (public beta) on my MBP 2020 and failed to start subsurface 4.9.6-

even though its just a beta version that could indicate problems coming up in coming fall when the final version of Big Sur will be available- and anybody that wants to try out big sur should be aware that subsurface 4.9.6 cannot be used then...

Regards,

Olli

Robert C. Helling

Jul 22, 2020, 6:51:00 AM7/22/20
to Subsurface Divelog

Am Mittwoch, 22. Juli 2020 12:03:53 UTC+2 schrieb Oliver Baumeister:
I just updated to Big Sur 11.0 (public beta) on my MBP 2020 and failed to start subsurface 4.9.6-

even though its just a beta version that could indicate problems coming up in coming fall when the final version of Big Sur will be available- and anybody that wants to try out big sur should be aware that subsurface 4.9.6 cannot be used then...

Thanks for the report. Could you be more specific on the "failed to start" part, e.g. were there complaints about wrong/missing code signing/notarification or some other error message? What happens, when you start it from a terminal window (run /Applications/Subsurface.app/Contents/MacOS/Subsurface), are there any error messages?

Best
Robert

Oliver Baumeister

Jul 23, 2020, 5:55:54 AM7/23/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Dear Robert,

I am afraid, I just failed to make use of the terminal app, it seems to be different in this beta, too... ;-(
When starting the subsurface app by clicking on the icon, there is a black screen right away and the infamous ball circulates infinitively- with right mouse click I receive the massage, the programm does not react... in the apps window no other notifications or whatsoever...

Hope that helps- kind regards,

Olli

Dirk Hohndel

Jul 23, 2020, 12:00:28 PM7/23/20
to Subsurface Divelog
What exactly does "I failed to make use of the terminal app" mean?
I'll admit that I'm not overly tempted to try the Big Sur beta... the days that new macOS versions seemed exciting are at least a decade in the past. I still have the iMac I'm writing this email on on 10.14 and an older MacBookPro that I occasionally use for testing is on 10.13 :-)

/D

Robert C. Helling

Jul 23, 2020, 12:41:58 PM7/23/20
to Subsurface Divelog

Am Donnerstag, 23. Juli 2020 18:00:28 UTC+2 schrieb Dirk:
What exactly does "I failed to make use of the terminal app" mean?
I'll admit that I'm not overly tempted to try the Big Sur beta... the days that new macOS versions seemed exciting are at least a decade in the past. I still have the iMac I'm writing this email on on 10.14 and an older MacBookPro that I occasionally use for testing is on 10.13 :-)

Same here, my Macs are still running 10.14 as I am afraid to lose 32bit programs. That said, thanks to the Corona virus, I have an extra MacBook waiting on my desk at work. Next time I got there, I will bring it and install Big Sur for testing. Will take a few days, though.

robert kochheim

Aug 8, 2020, 11:16:23 AM8/8/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi,

I run big sir and got this after starting on terminal

can't find Subsurface localization for locale "en-NL"

I changed the locale to en-en

still no joy, what los would you like to have ?

robert kochheim

Aug 9, 2020, 7:10:03 AM8/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I mean what log files

Dirk Hohndel

Aug 9, 2020, 12:18:36 PM8/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Well, an easy start would be doing the following in Terminal.app (is there still a terminal?)

/Applications/Subsurface-4.9.6/Subsurface.app/Contents/MacOS/Subsurface -v 2>&1 > /tmp/subsurface.log.txt

and then send us that log file. I'm not sure that will be enough to figure out what's wrong, but it sure would tell us a little more

/D

Robert C. Helling

Aug 31, 2020, 4:03:34 PM8/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I managed to get hold of a MacBookPro where I could install the Big Sur beta. I can build Subsurface from source and this runs fine. But if I download the 4.9.6 version from the web site it hangs on start up: I am told, it's from an unidentified developer and when I say "sure, fine", the icon appears in the task bar but nothing else happens. It consumes almost 100% of CPU time, though. It does not show up in the QtCreator's debugger list of running processes.

If I run the binary from /Volumes/Subsurface..../Subsurface directly, it shows a message about the locale, the icon jumps in the task bar but nothing else happens. Now, I can attach a debugger but it always breaks deep in either cocoa or Qt, usually, QBackingStore::flush is not far down on the call stack, nothing Subsurface specific in sight.

I am not sure how to progress from here.

Dirk Hohndel

Aug 31, 2020, 4:26:41 PM8/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Yeah, that's consistent with that bug report.
Because of the way building on Macs works in order to create backward compatible binaries, this, err, SUCKS.
I guess the cheap (ha) workaround would be having two DMGs, one for BigSur, one for older macOS versions.
What a pain.

/D

Dirk Hohndel

Sep 12, 2020, 8:14:26 PM9/12/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I have uploaded an experimental macOS binary that should work on macOS 10.15 and 11.0 (but not on older versions)

Please give it a try and let me know if this works for you.

/D

Robert Helling

Sep 13, 2020, 7:52:33 AM9/13/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Dirk,

On 13. Sep 2020, at 02:14, Dirk Hohndel <di...@hohndel.org> wrote:

I have uploaded an experimental macOS binary that should work on macOS 10.15 and 11.0 (but not on older versions)

Please give it a try and let me know if this works for you.

tried it: Once I confirm I am sure I want to open it it runs without flaws.

Thanks
Robert
signature.asc

Dirk Hohndel

Sep 13, 2020, 12:10:15 PM9/13/20

On Sep 13, 2020, at 4:52 AM, Robert wrote:

I have uploaded an experimental macOS binary that should work on macOS 10.15 and 11.0 (but not on older versions)

Please give it a try and let me know if this works for you.

tried it: Once I confirm I am sure I want to open it it runs without flaws.

I will play with the 'notarization' "feature" again and see if I can get that back to work.
Given how aggressively Apple pushes people to upgrade their OS, I'm considering making this binary (runs on macOS 10.15 and later) the default and have the other binary (runs on 10.13 through 10.15) the 'special' binary.
Curious about other people's thoughts on that.

/D

Robert Kochheim

Sep 13, 2020, 12:16:46 PM9/13/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

With the last upgrade of OSX to 20A5364e beta 11.0 the app works fine.

I did notice my Terric can download a dive over BT with no issue, The mares Smart I have  not on BT or Cable.

Note : The mares cable uses a driver with kernel extensions that do not make apple happy.
The down load page you get from the Mares app DiversDiary for this driver gets a 404 now

Robert

Dirk Hohndel

Sep 13, 2020, 2:10:39 PM9/13/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
May I ask a couple of clarifying questions?

With macOS 11.0 beta build 20A5364e were you able to run the stock 4.9.6 binary? Or the BigSur test binary that I posted?
Because for me in my test VM with that same beta build, the stock binary still just hands.

Also, for the Mares, I understand the issue with the SiLabs driver, but you said that BT didn't work, either. Do you have a log for that that you'd be able to share? The Mares BT dongle is easily the single worst BLE implementation that we have seen (and that's saying a lot), but in theory I would expect this to work... Based on our experience I would not be surprised if it needed a hand full of tries, though.

Thanks

/D

Robert Kochheim

Sep 13, 2020, 2:54:18 PM9/13/20

On 13 Sep 2020, at 20:10, Dirk Hohndel <di...@hohndel.org> wrote:

May I ask a couple of clarifying questions?

Yes !

With macOS 11.0 beta build 20A5364e were you able to run the stock 4.9.6 binary? Or the BigSur test binary that I posted?
Because for me in my test VM with that same beta build, the stock binary still just hands.

The new test version you posted, just tried based on you r request the production version but no luck does not start,

Also, for the Mares, I understand the issue with the SiLabs driver, but you said that BT didn't work, either. Do you have a log for that that you'd be able to share? The Mares BT dongle is easily the single worst BLE implementation that we have seen (and that's saying a lot), but in theory I would expect this to work... Based on our experience I would not be surprised if it needed a hand full of tries, though

I do blame that 100% on the mares, its low end stuff, even the way it's works with their own kit is just below minimum quality.

I’ll send you the logs.

Robert

Thanks for making this app work for me!

Thanks

/D

On Sep 13, 2020, at 9:16 AM, Robert Kochheim  wrote:

Hi,

With the last upgrade of OSX to 20A5364e beta 11.0 the app works fine.

I did notice my Terric can download a dive over BT with no issue, The mares Smart I have  not on BT or Cable.

Note : The mares cable uses a driver with kernel extensions that do not make apple happy.
The down load page you get from the Mares app DiversDiary for this driver gets a 404 now

Dirk Hohndel

Sep 13, 2020, 10:33:59 PM9/13/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
So here's a notarized DMG: https://subsurface-divelog.org/downloads/test/Subsurface-4.9.6-96-g601f49ab8440.10.15+11.0.dmg

Does this open without having to go through the security preferences on macOS 10.15 and BigSur?
You should still get the 'downloaded from the internet' warning, but you should no longer have to explicitly allow for this app to be opened in the System Preferences / Security section.

I'd love it if a couple of people could try.

Thanks

/D

Robert Kochheim

Sep 16, 2020, 3:04:48 PM9/16/20