Perdix AI - new computer, hoping issues resolved?

Craig Arnall

Aug 2, 2020, 8:08:57 AM8/2/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Using Subsurface 4.9.6 on
Windows 10.0 build 18362
Shearwater Perdix AI - firmware up to date

I've been using Subsurface for quite a while - great isn't it?  Replaced my Suunto Eon Core and have a shiny new Perdix AI.  No dives yet but I'm looking forward to next week.

There have been a few forum threads on importing dives from the Perdix.  Bluetooth not supported for Windows but some discussion about a forthcoming update (a year or two ago).  Does this now all work OK?  Subsurface is telling me "unable to open Shearwater (Perdix AI)".  I managed to connect OK from my iPhone but, without recorded dives, am unsure if it will work.

Hoping to avoid problems next week when I'll be diving and not wanting to be computer fixing.

Shearwater Cloud application doesn't seem to easily connect to the Perdix AI - so fall-back of two hop import isn't promising.

Is Subsurface  on Windows working for you with import from Perdix AI?  Anything I should do to make it easier?

Craig

Michael Werle

Aug 3, 2020, 5:55:39 AM8/3/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Unfortunately it's still a bit hit and miss, regardless if using the computers' built-in bluetooth or the Shearwater-supplied dongle.

Best approach (for me) seems to be to unpair it (using Windows control panel), then re-pair it, then try the import from Subsurface.

You should be able to import the "test dive" that's on the Shearwater (if you haven't deleted it) as a test.

Cheers,
 - Micha.

Craig Arnall

Aug 3, 2020, 2:08:04 PM8/3/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Thanks for this Michael.  First, helpful to know about that test dive - connected from my phone and successfully imported it.  Good start - I'll be more confident that I can do the same with some real dives.

Didn't have the Perdix listed in my laptop Bluetooth connects.  Told it to search but no joy.  Tried plugging the dongle in but that didn't get anywhere.

Still, using my phone is a good start.  Cheers for the help.

Dirk Hohndel

Aug 3, 2020, 7:51:14 PM8/3/20
to Subsurface Divelog
One of the things that are frustrating with many dive computers (and that includes the Shearwater models) is that they don't deal well with switching between different computers / phones.
My recommendation would be that if you have it working with your phone, don't mess with it. If it downloaded the test dive, it will download others just fine.

/D

Michael Werle

Aug 3, 2020, 8:17:17 PM8/3/20
to Subsurface Divelog
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 at 03:08, Craig Arnall <craig...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for this Michael.  First, helpful to know about that test dive - connected from my phone and successfully imported it.  Good start - I'll be more confident that I can do the same with some real dives.

Didn't have the Perdix listed in my laptop Bluetooth connects.  Told it to search but no joy.  Tried plugging the dongle in but that didn't get anywhere.

Still, using my phone is a good start.  Cheers for the help.

The Perdix can be a bit finicky if it gets paired  to multiple devices.  If your phone is nearby, make sure to turn off bluetooth on your phone before trying to pair the Perdix with your computer.

Craig Arnall

Aug 4, 2020, 2:04:03 AM8/4/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Another helpful tip - thanks again Michael.  Still no joy with import to Subsurface but, with my phone's Bluetooth off, I was able to upload to Shearwater Cloud and then export as UDDF - loaded OK into Subsurface.

I'm now a lot happier that next week I'll be able to get real dives logged.  Looking forward to using new Perdix in the sea.

Craig Arnall

Aug 9, 2020, 10:44:28 AM8/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
One further question. I want Perdix to record tank pressure for both tanks. Do I need to define those tanks on the Perdix AI as in use? From what I can see from the manual, it will display pressure while I am diving - but will it also record, for load into Subsurface?

Linus Torvalds

Aug 9, 2020, 3:35:37 PM8/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 7:44 AM Craig Arnall <craig...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> One further question. I want Perdix to record tank pressure for both tanks. Do I need to define those tanks on the Perdix AI as in use? From what I can see from the manual, it will display pressure while I am diving - but will it also record, for load into Subsurface?

If you have the Perdix AI set up so that you can see both pressures,
then we should be downloading them too.

The only thing to look out for is that there can be some confusion
about the actual cylinder mapping. It's not obvious which sensor maps
to which cylinder from the Perdix data, and particularly if you have
the same gas in both cylinders (eg if you're doing the "sidemount"
setup with just two cylinders and doing alternate breathing), it's
impossible for subsurface to figure out which cylinder is connected to
which transmitter.

It isn't necessarily problematic - if the cylinders really are
identical (same size etc), you simply don't care.

But if there are any differences, or if you have a _third_ cylinder
for deco gas and that one doesn't have a pressure sensor on it,
subsurface might get confused about which cylinder is mapped to which
pressure sensor.

So it can make sense to "mark" the cylinders by having them have
different gas mixes. Ie even if both are air, you might decide to tell
the Perdix that the other cylinder has 22% O2 or something.

Because if you do the sidemount thing, and Perdix tells subsurface
that there is just one gas, and subsurface sees two pressure
transmitters, subsurface will get confused.

I like my shearwater Teric, but I think they did a bad job with
handling multiple cylinders. Others handle multiple pressure sensors
much better than Shearwater (but usually do other things worse, so
hey, you win some, you lose some).

Linus

Craig Arnall

Aug 9, 2020, 3:50:13 PM8/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Thanks for this Linus.  I've only just got the Perdix AI - first dive with it tomorrow.  Two new air transmitters - for Sidemount, two identical air cylinders.  From what you say, I should set up one tank with 22% Oxygen (in future I may have different tanks).

Right now, OCR Rec Mode, System Setup, Nitrox Gases screen, I have one active cylinder selected.  Shall I have a second one active - with 22% Oxygen?

You've said that in my situation it doesn't matter.  Should I still have 2 active tanks on that screen?

Linus Torvalds

Aug 9, 2020, 4:44:00 PM8/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 12:50 PM Craig Arnall <craig...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this Linus. I've only just got the Perdix AI - first dive with it tomorrow. Two new air transmitters - for Sidemount, two identical air cylinders.
> From what you say, I should set up one tank with 22% Oxygen (in future I may have different tanks).

So if you're willing to experiment, just try out different models and
see what works for you and what you feel comfortable with.

I've never tried the configuration you're using, and I _think_ that if
you mark both as air, subsurface may end up thinking you have only one
cylinder with air (because shearwater doesn't count "cylinders", it
only counts "gas mixes"), and then the second pressure sensor data
might get thrown away.

So that's why telling the Teric that you have one cylinder of 21% and
one of 22% (or 20%, I guess that's the one that over-estimates your
nitrogen loading, which is good) might be a good idea.

But if you're willing to try things out, just do a dive with
everything marked as air, and maybe it all works out. I _think_ the
real confusion starts happening when you have the two sidemount
cylinders *and* you then have a third one that doesn't have a
transmitter.

> Right now, OCR Rec Mode, System Setup, Nitrox Gases screen, I have one active cylinder selected. Shall I have a second one active - with 22% Oxygen?
>
> You've said that in my situation it doesn't matter. Should I still have 2 active tanks on that screen?

As mentioned, it's not something I've personally tried out, so the
best option is for you to experiment a bit with what gets you the best
results.

Maybe other subsurface users have input?

Linus

Michael Werle

Aug 9, 2020, 5:56:06 PM8/9/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Plain sidemount with two identical cylinders works fine with the perdix ai and Subsurface. You won't get gas switch events as you switch between left and right but you'll see the different cylinders get used.

Inside the download from the DC each pressure reading also has the sensor number attached (0 or 1).

What confuses SS is, as Linus already mentioned, if you have a third tank with Deco gas. when you do the manual switch to the Deco tank on the perdix, SS assumes that is the second tank and it all ends up rather confused. but no actual data is lost.

so far I've manually edited the files to fix them up in this situation but I'm working on a small feature (desktop only) to fix this using the UI.

i haven't tried the trick of setting one of my air cylinders to 22%.

Andrew Trevor-Jones

Aug 9, 2020, 8:07:21 PM8/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I use my Perdix AI with two tanks quite regularly and never had any problems with Subsurface telling the difference between the two tanks.  I often use different sized tanks: 12.2L+7L, 12L+5L or same size 2x10.5L.

The only issue I have is that Subsurface appears to report a lower end pressure than what I see in Shearwater Desktop.  I still need to look into it a bit further before I report it.

Craig Arnall

Aug 10, 2020, 12:29:07 AM8/10/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Linus, Andrew, Michael.  Thank you for your responses.  I will experiment.  Craig

Steven Tresser

Dec 17, 2023, 12:54:35 PM12/17/23
to Subsurface Divelog
Linus,
I have the issue described above where I had two transmitters connected to sidemount tanks and both were set to EAN32 in Perdix. Also, had 100%O2 deco tank, not connected to transmitter. When dive uploaded to Subsurface, it mapped one transmitter to EAN32 and one to EAN99. Is there a way now to go back and remap the transmitter mapped to EAN99 to the other EAN32 sidemount tank? I understand in the future to list one gas as EAN32 and one as EAN 33, then map the transmitters to the two "different" sidemount gases. But, is there a way to go back now and correct the data mapping for already uploaded dives?? Thanks much!

mwe...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2023, 5:01:19 PM12/17/23
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Steven,
You can simply change the gas mix of the cylinders which have transmitter values attached to them to EAN32 (Equipment tab of Subsurface). Not sure if the mobile version has the interface to make these edits; Subsurface is first and foremost a desktop application.

The issue with manual gas switches I had is also "fixed" - you can now manually edit a gas-change event using the GUI and select the cylinder that gas-change should have been to.

A future release of Subsurface with a newer libdivecomputer should also improve matters. In the meantime you can try the "daily" build and see if it works better for you as it now takes into account which gases are active on the Shearwater.

Steven Tresser

Dec 18, 2023, 12:34:10 PM12/18/23
to Subsurface Divelog
Thank you, Michael.