SAC calculation

Alexander Bösch

Jul 31, 2020, 2:45:17 PM7/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi I have one Question

When I make a dive and calculate the SAC manually I get a other result then subsurface.

In the attachment a picture of a dive
https://ibb.co/s1HCYwC

Average Depth = 14.1m (2.141bar)
Duration = 100min
Tank = 12L 300bar
Start bar = 320bar
End bar = 110 bar
Air consumption = 210 bar

SAC = 210bar * 12L / 100min / 2.141bar = 11.77l/min

In the app I get the SAC 8.8l/min
https://ibb.co/s1HCYwC

What's the difference? Or what is in my calc wrong?

Stuart Vernon

Jul 31, 2020, 2:46:59 PM7/31/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
14.1m is 2.41 bar, not 2.141.

Stuart Vernon

Jul 31, 2020, 2:49:03 PM7/31/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Also, your calculation is based on Ideal gas behavior. Subsurface corrects for non-Ideal gas behavior.

320 bar is well beyond the threshold where that matters.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/subsurface-divelog/4fedb3c67565402e91702d078f5a54dc%40MBX05D-ORD1.mex06.mlsrvr.com.

Dirk Hohndel

Jul 31, 2020, 2:49:35 PM7/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Also, please note that the ideal gas law is basically wrong - Subsurface takes compressibility of gases into account when calculating your SAC rate. At 320bar, your 12L cylinder does NOT contain 12*320 = 3840 liters of air

/D
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/subsurface-divelog/4fedb3c67565402e91702d078f5a54dc%40MBX05D-ORD1.mex06.mlsrvr.com.

Alexander Bösch

Jul 31, 2020, 2:50:00 PM7/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
True but I still get 10.45

12*210/100/2.41= 10.456bar and not 8.8 :-)

Alexander Bösch

Jul 31, 2020, 2:50:46 PM7/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
OK thx

Alexander Bösch

Jul 31, 2020, 2:53:48 PM7/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
OK but in 200 bar I have still SAC difference from 1L/min?
That's correct?

Dirk Hohndel

Jul 31, 2020, 2:54:12 PM7/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
You can see the calculations in Subsurface.
In the equipment tab, hover above the pressure values. Assuming air (different gases compress differently), you'll see that at 320bar there's only about 3355l of air in your cylinder, at 110bar you have 1307l left, so you used 2048l of air instead of the 2520l that a naive calculation would assume.

/D

> On Jul 31, 2020, at 11:50 AM, Alexander Bösch <boes...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> True but I still get 10.45
>
> 12*210/100/2.41= 10.456bar and not 8.8 :-)

Alexander Bösch

Jul 31, 2020, 2:57:34 PM7/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
OK I will do it when I am back on the laptop

Thx for fast response

Robert C. Helling

Jul 31, 2020, 3:01:45 PM7/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
You might think the difference between real gas and ideal gas is small, but it can have quite an effect just in the pressure region relevant for diving cylinders. I write about it here: https://thetheoreticaldiver.org/wordpress/index.php/2017/11/02/when-real-gas-corrections-matter/