Best way to import dive data to Subsurface? csv, ...?

Alexander Giebel

May 10, 2023, 8:00:32 AM5/10/23
to Subsurface Divelog
Hello,

I have to Dive logbooks with around 65 dives and I would like to go digital. Subsurface seems to be the most suitable option for me :)

I already have the Windows Desktop App and a cloud account and tested the synchronization.

Now, I would like to create all of the dives and I'm wondering what the best way would be?
Manually (one by one)
Spreadsheet import
other...

Any suggestions for a first time user?

Thank you
Alexander

JB2Cool

May 10, 2023, 8:25:09 AM5/10/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
What information do you currently have for your dives? just depth and time? I think with the reasonably small number of dives you have then manually adding the dives is probably the path of least resistance, you can probably do all of these in between half an hour to an hour, the longest bit of the process is typing in the relevant date, time and location (although location gets easier if you are revisiting the same sites).

Happy to assist with this if that helps but if you are coming from a paper dive log then getting me the info needed to do this for you is probably going to take longer than just doing it yourself.

Jason

Alexander Giebel

May 10, 2023, 9:41:52 AM5/10/23
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Jason,

thank you for your comment & help.

I have the following information:
  • Date
  • Dive time
  • max depth
  • Country
  • Location
  • Dive Spot
  • type of dive (boat, night, etc.)
  • air or nitrox
  • water temperature
  • visibility
  • some free text observations
  • dive buddy
I have a MARES Puck dive computer with 32 dives in the logbook - I need to see how to import the data.

Initially I was considering to use an existing, or create new, csv upload file and then map all the data in there, but I agree with you that a manual take over of data at the PC is probably more efficient.

Best regards
Alexander

Alexander Giebel

May 10, 2023, 9:45:56 AM5/10/23
to Subsurface Divelog
sorry - I can't edit the post:

Mares Puck USB interface is around 60$... though probably also manual input

Richard Fuchs

May 10, 2023, 10:03:43 AM5/10/23
On 10/05/2023 09.45, Alexander Giebel wrote:
> sorry - I can't edit the post:
>
> Mares Puck USB interface is around 60$... though probably also manual
> input

For the original Puck there's a cheaper aftermarket interface available:
https://www.smartinterface.de/artikel.php?id=32&kat=1

I've been using it for years with Subsurface on Linux. You get dive
times, depths and temperatures. The rest you enter manually.

(Note the differences between Puck, Puck Pro, Puck Pro Plus, etc)

Cheers