auto completions broken on Android

29 views
Skip to first unread message

Alex B

unread,
Sep 24, 2026, 8:59:30 AM (10 days ago) Sep 24
to Subsurface Divelog
I updated yesterday to 6.0.5718.0 from an older version that was a couple of months old and in the latest version auto completions are broken.

For example previously if I started typing "D" into the Location field it would auto complete one of my many dive sites starting with "D" if I then typed "i" after D it would accept that and auto update the suggestion to "Diamond Rocks", so typically after 3 letters the right dive site would be selected. Similar with Buddies, Suits.

However now if I type in "D" it auto completes to "Doolin",  then when I type in "i" the dialog box now says "Dioolin" so I have to go to the end and delete all the characters that auto complete added before I can type properly.

In fact I could probably say that no auto completion on Android would be better than this current broken version.

At the moment I'm running on an old phone with Android 11 and I updated subsurface on it using Obtanium. I was previously on an Android 16 phone (Fairphone 6) that broke which had the same issue.

I don't see this issue reported by anyone else so I wonder if it's something to do with my setup, but it's unusual that it's on 2 separate phone.

Out of curiosity is there a way for me to figure out what was the previous version of Subsurface I had before updating yesterday?

Ivan Karlović

unread,
Sep 24, 2026, 9:02:41 AM (10 days ago) Sep 24
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I've repoted this few months back. I think it was introduced when subsurface was reinstated on the app store, or somewhere around that time. It happens on both my old and new android phones.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the update to Qt6.

Ivan

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Subsurface Divelog" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to subsurface-dive...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/subsurface-divelog/00498711-0172-4408-a454-00fafef8bafbn%40googlegroups.com.

Alex B

unread,
Sep 24, 2026, 10:14:10 AM (10 days ago) Sep 24
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Ivan,

Where did you report it? I can't find it on this board or on GitHub.

Yeah you might be right about it being related to the switch to Qt6. The other thing I noticed is that I started getting a new pop-up at the bottom complaining about the text size and the layout was a bit funky on my Fairphone 6. I assumed it was something to do with a higher resolution display but didn't get a chance to debug further before that phone died and I had to send it back to the manufacturer.

If it would be of any use to developers to try and get to the bottom of it I'd be happy to spend some time installing a bunch of older versions to try and figure out a pair of builds where things worked well/vs the auto completion broke.

I am surprised that there aren't more people reporting it. Either there aren't that many Android users or perhaps like me they're not updating regularly so they haven't seen this yet.

Ivan Karlović

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 2:02:22 AM (9 days ago) Sep 25
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hey, you can find the issue here:


Also happy to help in any way I can. I've already promised an undelated improvement which I should complete first and I don't currently have it setup to build for Android.

Michael Keller

unread,
Sep 25, 2026, 2:07:28 AM (9 days ago) Sep 25
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alex.

This is already tracked as https://github.com/subsurface/subsurface/issues/4827. The behaviour described there matches the “Doolin” example: the first match is committed immediately instead of remaining a selectable suggestion.

I tested the current Android build on my device and location completion behaves normally there, including refining the suggestion as more characters are typed. So it is not universal, but the independent reports show that it is a real Android-specific regression.

Please add your Android version, device model, keyboard/input method, and the exact Subsurface version to the GitHub issue. A short screen recording would also be useful, as it should help identify what differs between affected devices.


Ngā mihi

  Michael Keller

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages