Importing CSV file

Danila Mansfield

Mar 9, 2020, 8:35:03 AM3/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi, told you I'd be back!
I hope to recreate past dives and import into Subsurface desktop. I created a test file, with 3 dives, see attached. In Excel, saved as CSV. When I import into Subsurface, it only imports one dive, number 3, with a "default" date of 31 Dec 1999.
I read Appendix D of the Subsurface user manual, and changed the list separator to TAB as suggested, but that didn't show all the columns in the import box, so I changed it back to ,
Any suggestions please?
Here's a screenshot of the import:

csv import.jpg

Old Dives test 1.csv

JB2Cool

Mar 9, 2020, 9:28:45 AM3/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I wonder if it needs a time associated with the dives. Could be worth putting in nominal times like 8am, 11am and 2pm to see if that helps. Not something I've tried before.

JB

Miika Turkia

Mar 9, 2020, 9:39:24 AM3/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
The date has to be in format we understand for it to be parsed correctly. There are 3 options that you can look from the configuration drop-down menu, and the year has to be 4 digits.

I did a quick test and it seems that max depth is required for all the dives to be imported. I will take a look probably next week to see why the max depth is required. I guess I thought that everybody has some idea of depth of a dive when I wrote the importer - yet another false assumption :D

Danila Mansfield

Mar 9, 2020, 9:53:37 AM3/9/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,
good thought, tried it, but it didn't work. Still just importing only 1 dive.

---

Read my travel blog: www.notdunroamin.com

csv import.jpg

Danila Mansfield

Mar 9, 2020, 10:17:42 AM3/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Miika,
ok, I changed the date format, and now it's importing the correct date, hooray!
I added a max depth, and different times for each dive, but it's still only importing one dive.
Yes, of course we should know the max dive depth :D but I'm try to recreate nearly 900 dives, since I stopped logging 6 years ago, and have to "guess" details!
Any other suggestions please?

Danila Mansfield

Mar 9, 2020, 10:18:56 AM3/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
sorry meant to paste the latest screenshot:

csv import.jpg

JB2Cool

Mar 9, 2020, 10:50:11 AM3/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Try the format like this, this seems to work for me and imports 3 dives

Old Dives test 1.csv

Danila Mansfield

Mar 9, 2020, 11:18:48 AM3/9/20
to Subsurface Divelog
ah brilliant, thanks so much! I've been fiddling with it myself, and was just going to post that it seems to import all 3, in fact I tried 6: 2 different dates, 3 dives each, and it imported just fine! The issue seems to be not putting in the same depth for each dive.
But now... yeah, there's always a but! I'm not able to renumber the dives. So I have existing dives 1-60, then new dives 1-6. They'll renumber if I highlight ALL the dives, but not just if I have the cursor on the latest. That however is a pretty minor issue!
I'm getting there, now I just have to scour my brain for diving over the past 24 years!
Thanks SO much!!

On Mon, 9 Mar 2020 at 14:18, Danila Mansfield <danilama...@gmail.com> wrote:
sorry meant to paste the latest screenshot:

csv import.jpg

On Monday, 9 March 2020 12:35:03 UTC, Danila Mansfield wrote:
Hi, told you I'd be back!
I hope to recreate past dives and import into Subsurface desktop. I created a test file, with 3 dives, see attached. In Excel, saved as CSV. When I import into Subsurface, it only imports one dive, number 3, with a "default" date of 31 Dec 1999.
I read Appendix D of the Subsurface user manual, and changed the list separator to TAB as suggested, but that didn't show all the columns in the import box, so I changed it back to ,
Any suggestions please?
Here's a screenshot of the import:

csv import.jpg

Jason Bramwell

Mar 9, 2020, 12:31:11 PM3/9/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

I didn’t test fully but I thinking it was the duration that was throwing it off, yours seemed to be in the format 00:00:00 so that’s hours, minutes and seconds, that might have been confusing it.

JB

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Danila Mansfield

Mar 9, 2020, 3:57:21 PM3/9/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
ah yes well spotted, I've now added some 60 hour long dives! oops!

---

Read my travel blog: www.notdunroamin.com