Mares Puk Pro Plus on iOS with Bluelink

steffen....@gmx.de

May 7, 2019, 10:24:44 AM5/7/19
to Subsurface Divelog
OS: iOS
Subsurface-mobile 2.1.6 (4.8.4.66)
Computer: Mares Puk Pro Plus with Mares Bluelink pro

Dear community,

we have two Mares Puk Pro dive computers and one Mares Bluelink Pro bluetooth adapter. By now we have used the mySSI app and were able to download dives from both computers. We like to change to subsurface-mobile to manage our dives now. Unfortunately we cannot download any dives from one of our computers via the iOS app via any of out iPhones (SE and 7). Both phones find the bluelink id and start looking for dives - the bluelink led also flashes green, but no dives were listed.

We tried the android version on a friends phone and the dives are listed completely. Therefore we think there is some kind of bug in the iOS version?

Thanks for your help,

Steffen

Linus Torvalds

May 7, 2019, 11:05:22 AM5/7/19
to Subsurface Divelog
On Tue, May 7, 2019 at 7:24 AM <steffen....@gmx.de> wrote:

> We tried the android version on a friends phone and the dives are listed completely. Therefore we think there is some kind of bug in the iOS version?

It's not really a bug in the iOS version, it's that the Mares BlueLink
interface is very timing-sensitive, and something we do end up easily
triggering problems.

End result: it works almost "randomly". Yes, some hardware and OS
combinations may work a bit more often, but that seems to be random
too. Quite often you can just re-try immediately after a failed
download, and it will work the second time.

I wish I could tell you that we have a fix for this, but while there
is some discussion and even a patch or two that fixes the problem for
some cases, those then seem to break other cases instead.

And no, it's not fair to just blame the BlueLink interface. Yes, it is
very timing-sensitive and that causes issues, but it's also likely
that we're doing something wrong or odd in our bluetooth code that may
be exacerbating the issue.

So for now, the only fix is "try again later". Sorry about that, we
just haven't figured out the correct fix.

Linus

Steffen S

May 12, 2019, 11:36:41 AM5/12/19
to Subsurface Divelog
Thanks for the explanation. I've tried it almost 10 times without any downloadable dives. I'll just wait and try again in a few months.