Cloud sync error

Max Schlager

May 25, 2020, 9:34:34 AM5/25/20
to Subsurface Divelog
When posting questions you can help us answer you more quickly if you make sure you include some basic information:
  • Which version are you using (hint: look at the About screen)?
  • Which OS are you running?
  • (if applicable) which dive computer are you using?
Feel free to delete this text when posting your question.

I recently created a subsurface account and enabled the cloud option so that I can synchronize dives on my computer and phone in one database. This worked well for both (Android and Win PC). Today (25 May, 2020) I wanted to add a dive with my mobile phone to the database, but no connection to the cloud can be established. Neither on the PC nor on the mobile phone. Also access via WEB interface is not possible.

Does anybody has a solution for this issue?

Rgds/Mx

Windows Version: WIN 10 (1909), F
Android Version (10) Samsung Galaxy S20+
DC: Suunto Cobra 1
Subsurface Version: 4.9.4 (PC), xxx (Android)
WIN Error Message: Service not available, Error connection to cloud service.
Android Error Message: No response from cloud server to validate the credentials
Browser Error Message: The requested URL was not found on the server.

Dirk Hohndel

May 25, 2020, 11:11:20 AM5/25/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I had server problems yesterday. Thought I had them fixed before going to bed, but turned out I was wrong.
Please try again, things should be up and running again.

/D

Max Schlager

Jun 1, 2020, 3:52:18 PM6/1/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hello Dirk,

Unfortunately my cloud based access is not working anymore. Access is limited to local desktop database only.

Sequence (the full story):

1)Import from www.divelogs.de to subsurface desktop application => okay
2) Request for Subsurface cloud access (mail-address,s password, PIN) => okay
3) Installation of Android SubSurface APP on Samsung S20+, login to Subsurface cloud => okay
4) Import of a new dive with Android Subsurface APP => okay
5) Since then cloud access did not work anymore on no device. => not okay

Android:
In the meantime I have removed and re-installed Subsurface on my Android mobile phone. No access, no data so far. Desktop application is working with local data only.

Webbrowser (Firefox and Chrome):
Web access is also denied:
https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/user/schlag...@hotmail.com/dives.html

Error message as follows:
Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.41 (Ubuntu) Server at cloud.subsurface-divelog.org Port 443

Desktop app:
When I start to open cloud storage (Cloud-Speicher öffnen) I receive the message (Erfolgreiche Cloud-Verbindung, hole Daten). After that I recieve a message (Synchronisiere), but a second later there is an error message on the bottom of the Subsurface desktop app (Can't sync wiht cloud server, working with offline copy)

Destop error log for cloud acccess is attached to this reply (subsurface_err.log)

Is there any solution for this issue, exept a new cloud/e-mail combination?

Just a last question: What is this "new password" field in the desktop computer app for? I did enter the current password because I assumed that this is a kind of password verification. Please see attached image.

thanks/Max
subsurface_err.log
Neues Passwort.png

Dirk Hohndel

Jun 1, 2020, 4:49:47 PM6/1/20
to Subsurface Divelog
This has been a frustrating week.

A global pandemic. People being attacked and killed for the color of their skin. Racial injustice and other unjust nightmares becoming harder and harder to ignore.
Sometimes I struggle to find the energy to look at the state of a cloud server account in all of this - as I try to help the communities out there who are hurting.

/D

PS: your cloud account should work now

subsurface_err.log
Neues Passwort.png

Em CA

Jun 6, 2020, 5:09:59 AM6/6/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Dirk

same for me  impossible to sync  changed password several times
have a  message stating that cannot connect to cloud   local file only
thnks
emmanuel

Em CA

Jun 6, 2020, 5:14:15 AM6/6/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Dirk
same issue
although I have access to web log
but cannot sync last 20 dives

Windows Version: WIN 10
mac version for phone
Subsurface Version: 4.9.4 (PC)
277 dive on pc 255 on web and phone

Max Schlager

Jun 6, 2020, 1:48:13 PM6/6/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dirk, maybe it is helpful for you to get feedback.

First of all, everything is working again. Thank you for your support and time you spent, helping me.

The cloud account only worked after I changed the password for my subsurface application on my computer. Web access via https://cloud.subsurface-divelog.org/ did allow login, but did not show any synced dives. Sync of the local stored dives on my computer was not possible and failed with a local cache error. Thus I created a new account with a different email address. This worked fine instantly, for all endpoints (computer, Android app and web access (browser)).

As I'm always curious, I took a closer look at the error with the "old" account credentials. The error message in the bottom of Subsurface stated that the folder (respectively the data) with the local dives, were moved to "a53f07d2724a11b6.1". Anyway, after closing the app there was no such folder. I took a look at the existing folders and compared them. Both seemed to be equal. I renamed the possible faulty folder to "folder_old" and tried to login to the cloud service again.. voila... The folder was created again and sync to cloud, Android app and web access did work again... now I have two working accounts..

I don't know what actually happened, I can say, that the issue started after I successfully did a sync between my DC (Suunto Cobra 1) and my Android mobile Samsung S20+ with the most current Subsurface Android app via OTG. The new dives did show up on my mobile phone and after that I did a manual sync to the cloud. From that point of time cloud access via web browser, and sync computer to cloud did not work anymore.
To avoid this in future I will use my mobile to view dives only... ;)

grafik.png

Thanks again!
Regards and always 50 bar left...
Max Schlager

Dirk Hohndel

Jun 6, 2020, 3:03:17 PM6/6/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Yeah, so let's talk about what really happened and how these things are related.

Two weeks ago someone decided to attack the cloud server. Not to hack into it, but to disrupt the service and to create pain for me.
Since that person is a complete moron, it was very easy to identify who it was. But since the infrastructure wasn't designed to be resilient against such attacks, they were spectacularly successful in causing me pain.

The VM that was running the main cloud storage instance crashed because the attacker managed to fill all disk space (and create a noticeable uptick in my AWS bill for last month).
The hot standby that took over had three distinct mistakes in its configuration. Since all this happened over a holiday weekend it took me longer than it should have to address those (especially, embarrassingly, for the most impactful one, a permission error that only affected newly created accounts). Because of that, about 25 accounts were incorrectly initialized which caused a number of very odd error cases for those users. You were one of those. And since the last eleven days I have spent time trying to help the black community and engaging in a number of events and activities, my response to some of those emails was slower than usual. I mean, obviously, a free service like this damn well better have a 24x7 SLA with sub 12h response time OR ELSE...
Oh, yeah, plus massive stress induced migraines and headaches because, yay, why not.

Subsurface-mobile is designed to not confuse the user with too many error messages and to recover when it couldn't reach the cloud server. In this unforeseen scenario, that ended up making things worse because it lead people to believe that they had successfully synced when in fact they had not.

For those people who reached out to me and actually worked with me and did the things I asked them to do, to the best of my knowledge no one lost data.
In the same two weeks more than 4000 distinct accounts have accessed cloud data (impressive how many of you are back diving, I guess), all but those about 25 accounts without issues (except for the downtime that all of this caused).

I have now spent about 50 hours on cleaning up this mess, responding to angry users, having people yell at me, having people tell me that I am incompetent, rude and <censored>. Explaining my own infrastructure to me (without being limited in their explanations by actually understanding how any of this does, in fact, work). Etc.

Phases like this remind me why I love doing open source and why I love providing a free service to the users. It's the people. It's so rewarding to see their responses.

Anyway, tl;dr: you can absolutely download dives on your mobile device and sync them with the cloud. I have added a couple of failsafes and a couple of hacks to make it easier to recover from the next asshole who wants to show me how they much they appreciate all the work this community spends on Subsurface.

In the meantime, if anyone out there still has problem with their cloud storage, please just reach out directly in email. Happy to help.

Enjoy your weekend

/D

Jason Bramwell

Jun 6, 2020, 3:31:30 PM6/6/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Dirk,
I for one appreciate all the work you have put into this especially the cloud storage infrastructure.

A shame that some people are so negative about downtime of a free service.

Jb

Sent from my iPhone