incomplete dive log

Nihal Gabr

Oct 31, 2020, 12:27:48 PM10/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog

My husband is Trying to download his log from suunto vyper novo to windows 10. It's only downloading 2020 dives and none from the year before. Any advice?

Dirk Hohndel

Oct 31, 2020, 12:31:19 PM10/31/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
While many of the lower end dive computers will show the dive summary data (date, time, duration, max depth) for a lot of dives, they often only have enough storage to hold the profile and additional data for a much smaller number of dives.
Subsurface can only download those fully stored dives. Depending on how many dives your husband did in 2020, is it possible that the older ones are no longer stored as full dives on the dive computer?
I have no experience with the Vyper Novo, so I don't know what the storage limits might be.

/D

Nihal Gabr

Oct 31, 2020, 12:41:45 PM10/31/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I will check now on the computer itself. We tried to import the XML and dan 7 from Dm5 however XML keep crashing subsurface and dan 7 did not work.
I'll let you know about the older dives situation shortly.
Best
NG

Nihal Gabr

Oct 31, 2020, 4:50:47 PM10/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hello,
Here is the sample of the XML file imported from DM5. Every time we try to import it into subsurface on Windows 10, it crashes.
Best
NG
Dive_2020-10-29-1414.xml

Linus Torvalds

Oct 31, 2020, 5:53:31 PM10/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog, Berthold Stoeger
On Sat, Oct 31, 2020 at 1:50 PM Nihal Gabr <gabr....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the sample of the XML file imported from DM5. Every time we try to import it into subsurface on Windows 10, it crashes.

Right you are.

It crashes in core/parse-xml.c: weight(), because of commit
a5e7f4253ac9 ("Core: dynamically resize weight table") means that the
xml parsing code (line 1333: try_to_fill_dive()) can now be called
with no weightsystem allocated at all, and the line

if (MATCH_STATE("weight", weight,
&dive->weightsystems.weightsystems[dive->weightsystems.nr -
1].weight))

has "dive->weightsystems.weightsystems[" being NULL, and
"dive->weightsystems.nr - 1" is -1.

Berthold? I'll forward the test-case to you separately.

Linus

Nihal Gabr

Oct 31, 2020, 6:55:52 PM10/31/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hello!
Thank you v much. I'm unfortunately a bit confused since I'm not much of a developer. Is it going to be fixed and i need to re'download the app?

Dirk Hohndel

Oct 31, 2020, 7:15:26 PM10/31/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
The next version (Subsurface 4.9.8) which should be out in about two weeks or so should fix this bug.

/D

miika....@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2020, 12:56:57 AM11/1/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Your best option to import from DM5 is to use the actual database from it. This is described in our user manual grab the path of database fro DM5 About page, and import that to Subsurface.
Can you send me the dan 7 log so I can check why it is not working. IIRC this used to work, and even if it is not recommended way of importing DM5 to Subsurface, it should still be fixed.