Can't Re-Download Dive list

Michael Meyering

Sep 7, 2018, 4:21:08 PM9/7/18
to Subsurface Divelog
Here's my setup:
  • Subsurface for iOS Version 2.4.1(4.8.0.39)
  • iOS 11.5.2 (15D60)
  • Perdix AI
When I downloaded over Bluetooth from my computer it came up with the list of all the dives on my computer. Some of the dives I already had in the log so un checked them from the list and tapped accept.

The issue is that I accidentally unchecked a dive that I need to download to Subsurface. So I went back in and tried to download the list again by tapping the "download" button again. It connected and then said "No new dives".

So the issue is that it's already marked that dive as being downloaded but since I didn't accept the dive the first time now I can get that dive off the computer again.

I tried the Re-scan button but it didn't work.

Is there a way to force Subsurface to "re-download' all the dives on the computer even if they're not "new"?

Thanks!

Dirk Hohndel

Sep 7, 2018, 5:42:41 PM9/7/18
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
The desktop version has the ability to do that, but note that on Windows we don’t support downloads from the Perdix AI and other BLE only dive computers.

We keep trying to keep the mobile UI simple - this is one of those features that we /could/ add to the mobile version, but the trade-off between very rare situations where this might be useful and the more cluttered UI for all other cases makes me wonder…

If you are indeed on Windows with your desktop, there are other ways to hack around that - let me know and I’ll help you make it work, one way or another.

/D

Michael Meyering

Sep 7, 2018, 6:40:17 PM9/7/18
to Subsurface Divelog
Thanks for the insight I have subsurface on a Mac and I haven't been able to get it to download from the Dive computer.

Every time I try it says it can't connect. I'm using Subsurface 4.8.1 on High Sierra. That's why I was using the iOS version. It would connect to the computer.

You might consider putting a option in the preferences to allow a user to set it so it always downloads every dive on the computer. Those that like that or need it occasionally because they did something stupid by mistake (like myself) could then turn it on or off as needed.

Any advice on how to get subsurface communicating with the DC on a Mac?

Thanks again!

Mike

Dirk Hohndel

Sep 7, 2018, 7:44:03 PM9/7/18
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Getting a Mac to connect to the Perdix AI is sadly painful. I’ve made it work several times, but I cannot give you a reliable algorithm.
If you keep trying to scan from within Subsurface at some point you’ll see the Perdix AI. One thing that our friends at Shearwater recommended was to only let the Perdix AI run in Bluetooth mode for about 20 seconds. If by then the scan hasn’t found it, cancel and start Bluetooth mode again. So you have two things running that will both time out or need to be restarted: the scan on the Mac and the Bluetooth mode on the Perdix. I realize that that’s just weird, but believe me, several of the developers have tried to come up with a more reliable way to do this and we haven’t been successful. But all of us have eventually been able to connect using the “algorithm” described here.

If this really doesn’t work for you, there are a couple of ways to trick Subsurface-mobile into downloading ‘more’ dives (but the problem is that we’d want to make sure that we don’t lose any data that you have manually entered for the successfully downloaded dives). So the easier solution would be to try the above.

Finally, after thinking about this some more I’m thinking that maybe we could add a couple more options to the download dialog and hide them by default and create a “magic trick” to enable them - maybe if developer mode is enabled in the Settings or something. This is NOT something that exists today and I haven’t looked into how much work it would be to implement it, but it shouldn’t be too hard.

/D