Shearwater perdix 2, transfer of dives impossible

Christophe GMAIL

Mar 5, 2023, 6:22:39 AM3/5/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Sorry, but I use an online translator.

I have been using subsurface for many years.

It works very well when the computer is connected with a cable; in
bluetooth, when it works, it is "accidental".

I used, before it crashed, a HW OSTC, in BT. But, that was before.

I had given up with my Perdix AI because I could transfer one time out
of five.

But, now, my OSTC is crashed (pressure sensor out of order), I have no
other choice than to use my new computer, a SHEARWATER, Perdix 2.

I'll make it short: it doesn't work!

I have an MSI PC, the bluetooth is on (on it).

When I launch import from the computer, I scan, I see the Perdix 2, I
pair. Until then, all is well and when I launch the importation, it
answers me that the transfer is impossible. (error in importing the dive
data)

I tried another way: I put my dives on the Shearwter cloud and I put
them in a folder on my PC desktop; whatever the format, subsurface
closes instantly.

Would you have a solution?

thank you in advance

Christophe

Christophe GMAIL

Mar 6, 2023, 8:32:16 AM3/6/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Thank you Jordi,

this is not a joke, but, I managed to download the Perdix 2 dives on my smartphone and on the shearwater interface.
The "problem" is when I ask subsurface to download such and such dive; subsurface closes immediately.
The software is up to date, my W10 too. On my side, everything works normally except that.

I continue to search.

thanks

have a nice day

Christophe

Le 05/03/2023 à 18:12, Jordi Altimiras a écrit :
Hi Christophe. I do not have a true solution but I can tell you my experience. I never succeded downloading reliably to a computer, not with the built-in bluetooth adapter nor with a couple of external bluetooth receivers of different generations.
I was luckier with a samsung tablet but it still failed now and then.
I use my cell phone successfully now and it works well. After the last system upgrade of the cell phone I need to shut it down and start it again.
My advice is for you to not give up. The problem is not Subsurface but the bluetooth compatility between Shearwater and your devices.
My 5cents

Jordi

El dg., 5 de març 2023, 12:22, Christophe GMAIL <christoph...@gmail.com> va escriure:

Michael Keller

Mar 6, 2023, 4:57:09 PM3/6/23
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Christophe, Jordi.

I think Jordi is onto something - bluetooth seems to be a bit dicey on computers, and using mobile devices is often a more reliable approach.

Thanks to the cloud integration in Subsurface it is still possible to adopt a workflow that allows you to add the extra bits of information (location, equipment, notes,...) on a computer: Download dives into Subsurface on a mobile device, sync to the cloud, sync from the cloud on your computer, and then edit the dives when they have appeared there.

One bit of information to add to this is that support for BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) seems to be particuarly bad on computers - so for most dive computers (including Shearwater), selecting 'Force classical' will give better results than allowing Subsurface to attempt to use BLE (which would be faster if it worked):

Screenshot from 2023-03-07 10-48-49.png

Hope this helps, cheers
  Michael Keller

Michael

Mar 6, 2023, 6:19:28 PM3/6/23
to Subsurface Divelog
I'm having problems with my Perdix AI. It doesn't matter if I use my phone, Android 13, or my laptop, Fedora 37. I have the latest Subsurface release on both and I have Shearwater version 93 on my Perdix. In other words all of my software is at the latest release.

The only way I'm able to download dives is to remove my Perdix from the OS and from Subsurface. Then I connect the Perdix as a new device and it will then download the dives. Same procedure works for both my phone and laptop.

Michael

Michael

Mar 6, 2023, 6:20:07 PM3/6/23
to Subsurface Divelog
I'm having problems with my Perdix AI. It doesn't matter if I use my phone, Android 13, or my laptop, Fedora 37. I have the latest Subsurface redhead on both.

The only way I'm able to download dives is to remove my Perdix from the OS and from Subsurface. Then I connect the Perdix as a new device and it will then download the dives. Same procedure works for both my phone and laptop.

Michael

Linus Torvalds

Mar 6, 2023, 6:32:54 PM3/6/23
On Mon, Mar 6, 2023 at 3:19 PM Michael <mar4...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only way I'm able to download dives is to remove my Perdix from
> the OS and from Subsurface. Then I connect the Perdix as a new device
> and it will then download the dives. Same procedure works for both my
> phone and laptop.

This sounds very much like the traditional "Shearwater can be *very*
fussy about downloading from multiple different devices".

We never figured out exactly what the problem was, but it often seems
like the Shearwater BLE has some internal odd pairing thing, and it
remembers devices it has downloaded from before, and if it can still
see that old device, it won't talk to a different new one, no matter
what you do.

The solution to make it work fairly reliably was to always use the
same device to download from, and never *ever* mix devices. Once you
mix devices you end up with problems, and then getting back to a
working situation can be problematic.

The only thing that seemed to really clear the BLE stack in those
Shearwater computers was the computer actually turning off. And to
make things more exciting, that's not the same as "black screen".
While the Shearwater is still doing deco calculations (ie a few days
after the last dive), it's not "off" even if the screen is black, it's
in some low-power mode.

And again: the above is random rantings just based on the behavior
we've seen. I don't _know_ how it works. I just know that the trick to
make it work was generally to try to never ever connect to the
Shearwater from more than one device.

Once it gets confused, the "try to fix it" has ranged from "make sure
all other computers are far enough away to not be visible in BLE
scanning, or have their bluetooth turned off" to "actually remove the
battery from the Shearwater dive computer to really reset it".

Btw, in case it wasn't obvious: please do *not* do that battery
removal if you are still diving the computer in the next few days. It
also makes it clear any deco state and time settings, so it's really a
last option if nothing else has worked.

Also, honesty in advertizing: I use the Perdix AI for a couple of
years, but then I switched to the Teric. So I haven't used the Perdix
in a while. Your milage may vary.

Linus

Michael

Mar 7, 2023, 5:52:03 AM3/7/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Linus Torvalds
I'd be happy if it worked on subsequent downloads to the same device. Unfriendly out doesn't matter if I use the same device or a different one I still have to start from scratch.

Michael

Gmail im Auftrag von Martin Gröger

Mar 7, 2023, 6:16:45 AM3/7/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
hm...

the location service is "on"? the shearwater BLE seems to  need this service (my peregrine refuses any connection without location service).

keep on howling

grey

Christophe GMAIL

Mar 7, 2023, 6:33:13 AM3/7/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Michael Keller
Hello

I have solved the problem.
I deleted the Perdix 2 from the bleutooth library of my PC and then
reinstalled it.
It was seen, paired, and I was able to download the dives that are on
the dive computer last night.

however, the mystery remains concerning the files: when I switch from
the shearwater interface and select the dives I want to transfer to
subsurface, whatever the format chosen, subsurface closes instantly.

Anyway, thank you very much for your help!

Christophe, from Mayotte, Indian Ocean, Mozambique Channel

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Michael

Mar 9, 2023, 1:12:37 PM3/9/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
With location "on" I was able to connect to my Perdix, from my phone, and download successfully 3 times so far. That seems to be the trick for reliable phone download.

However, I do prefer to download on my laptop as it is much quicker than using my phone. I don't have GPS on my laptop so I have to delete the connecting then reconnect each time I download.

Michael

Michael Keller

Mar 9, 2023, 4:22:27 PM3/9/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael.

On 10/03/23 07:12, Michael wrote:
> With location "on" I was able to connect to my Perdix, from my phone,
> and download successfully 3 times so far. That seems to be the trick
> for reliable phone download.
>
> However, I do prefer to download on my laptop as it is much quicker
> than using my phone. I don't have GPS on my laptop so I have to delete
> the connecting then reconnect each time I download.

I think the 'location on' is a bit of a red herring - this is a (not
clearly stated) requirement in android for most or all BLE devices to
work properly, and not limited to Shearwater dive computers.

For desktops / laptops, try connecting with 'Force classical' selected
for the bluetooth mode - I find that successful connections done this
way keep working without having to forget / pair every time.

Cheers

  Michael Keller

Michael

Mar 9, 2023, 6:06:38 PM3/9/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Michael Keller
I'll give that a try Michael after diving tomorrow.

Jef Driesen

Mar 10, 2023, 8:18:41 AM3/10/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Michael Keller
For the newer Shearwater models (Teric, Peregrine, Perdix 2, etc) that won't
work, because those models only support Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), and not
Bluetooth Classic.

Jef

Michael

Mar 12, 2023, 4:03:59 PM3/12/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
FWIW: Download to the phone worked much better when I turned BT "on" on my Perdix before turning BT "on" on my phone.

Michael

Richard de weerd

May 11, 2023, 7:48:04 AM5/11/23
to Subsurface Divelog
i still have not been able to connect with subsurface to my perdix 2, both on my mac as on my iphone. Macdive and Shearwater cloud have no issues with connection, from both my laptop or my phone. That clearly indicates to me that the issue is probably something in subsurface

Christophe GMAIL

May 11, 2023, 11:41:31 AM5/11/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Hello

sorry, but I use an online translator.

I had the same problem with a Perdix 2; I solved .

I use an android phone and I downloaded the dives on the shearwater application in bluetooth.

I synchronized the dives on the cloud.

On my PC, I have the shearwater application; I logged in, I synchronized with the cloud and, I selected the dives I wanted to transfer to subsurface (with the file button, I went to export as a UDDF file), I put my dive files in a folder (temporary, on the desktop).

then, I opened subsurface, did Import dive files...

and it works.

Christophe

I'll keep an eye on the replies, in case you want more information.

Sol Chrom

May 14, 2023, 9:40:40 PM5/14/23
to Subsurface Divelog
For whatever it's worth:

I can download dives from my Perdix AI to my Mac using the Shearwater Cloud app, but not Subsurface. If I want to use Subsurface, I have to download dives from the Perdix to my iPhone using the iOS Subsurface app and then sync to the cloud before I can use it on my Mac. It's been this way ever since I updated from MacOS Mojave to MacOS Catalina and so on through Big Sur, Monterey, and Ventura. Nothing to be done.