Problems with GPS data sync

kapitainsky

Feb 13, 2019, 1:15:05 PM2/13/19
to Subsurface Divelog

  • Which version are you using (hint: look at the About screen)?
2.1.6 (4.8.4.66)
username: dari...@me.com
  • Which OS are you running?
iOS 12.1.4
  • (if applicable) which dive computer are you using?
Suunto Vyper Air

Back at home after liveaboard when I used Subsurface-Mobile to capture GPS data.

I import dive data from dive computer to Subsurface 4.8.5 for macOS. Data sync to cloud. Open Subsurface-Mobile on my phone - data is sync from the cloud and I can see my latest dives - so far so good.

I apply GPS fixes - it works - I can now press "Map It" and see location of my dives. I sync from mobile to cloud. On laptop I sync from cloud... and no location data is present. I tried multiple times. nothing.

It only worked when manually I edited dive on mobile e.g. by adding some comment. Then it sync including GPS data. I had to add some fake comments on my mobile to every dive to sync GPS data to cloud.

Dirk Hohndel

Feb 13, 2019, 1:51:44 PM2/13/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
It's possible that there's a bug in the mobile app that doesn't mark the dive list as changed when GPS data is added. I'll investigate this.

/D

Dirk Hohndel

Feb 18, 2019, 1:51:13 PM2/18/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I took a close look at the code and did some quick experiments and this hunch of mine seems wrong.

I think I might have to see some logs to understand what's happening.

Let me see if I get this straight.

On your phone, you can see the locations, you get a Map It link on those dives.
You then sync with the cloud (how do you trigger that sync?)
You then open cloud storage on your Mac
Those same dives have no GPS information.

Is that the process? Am I missing something?

On your phone, after you triggered the sync with the cloud, can you go to the About page, click on the button on that page and paste the logs into an email to me?

Also, would you give me permission to look at your dive data in the cloud to see what's happening there? I would need to know the email address that you use for cloud storage.

Thanks

/D

kapitainsky

Feb 11, 2020, 6:52:08 AM2/11/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Another diving trip - the same dive computer, the latest software on my laptop and my iPhone - the same issue.

Is there anything I can provide to help identifying where the issue is?

I did the following

1. imported dives from my dive computer to laptop (via USB cable) - saved to cloud - closed app - OK
2. opened subsurface on my iPhone and manually synced with cloud - new dives are on my phone - OK
3. Applied GPS fixes - I can see locations of my new dives on my iPhone -OK
4. opened subsurface on laptop - data is synced from cloud - no location is shown for new dives - NOT OK

No when I close subsurface on iPhone and reopen then resync from cloud location data of latest dives is gone - I have to re apply GPS fixes.

kapitainsky

Feb 11, 2020, 6:54:38 AM2/11/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Please feel free to access my dive data (username: dari...@me.com)

kapitainsky

Feb 11, 2020, 7:02:56 AM2/11/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I have sent log from mobile app as well

kapitainsky

Feb 11, 2020, 7:13:41 AM2/11/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Also this time I changed my google forum settings.... so should receive notification about your replies and provide required info promptly.

Dirk Hohndel

Feb 12, 2020, 12:08:36 PM2/12/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
The logs that you sent do not show a sync from the mobile device to the cloud. And indeed, if I look at the cloud data (you gave me explicit permission to do so), I don’t see an attempt to sync from the mobile device.

Can you please manually sync from your mobile device (either by pulling down and holding until the sync starts on the dive list, or via the menu entry) and check again?

/D

Dariusz Bogdanski

Feb 12, 2020, 12:36:35 PM2/12/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I will.

However maybe it is the problem? I see for a blink of the second “syncing 0 out of 23”. Then it disappears.

I have not used old trick yet - apply gps data, then edit dives by adding random note and sync again - and will send logs from every stage.  At the moment I have data from my diving computer in the cloud and gps data on my phone.

kapitainsky

Feb 13, 2020, 4:36:58 AM2/13/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I sent all logs from mobile app. Please let me know if there is anything more I can provide.

Dirk Hohndel

Feb 13, 2020, 11:11:35 AM2/13/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I have all your logs. Thank you. Now I need to understand what is going wrong for you (and why it works when I try to recreate the scenario locally).
I cannot give you an estimated time until this is fixed until I understand what (and why) is broken...

/D

Dariusz Bogdanski

Feb 13, 2020, 12:17:57 PM2/13/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I do understand

And I have work around. If I edit all new dives e.g. by adding some random comments to all of them and then sync to the cloud all new dives will be sync with gps data. Then I can pull it from the cloud on my laptop.

For some reason without this manual step new dives with applied gps data are not pushed to the cloud.

Rgds

Dariusz

> On 13 Feb 2020, at 16:11, Dirk Hohndel <di...@hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> I have all your logs. Thank you. Now I need to understand what is going wrong for you (and why it works when I try to recreate the scenario locally).

Dirk Hohndel

Feb 13, 2020, 4:12:37 PM2/13/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
And somehow suddenly it all became clear... the reason why I never was able to reproduce this was because I was trying this with my test account. Not with dives freshly downloaded from a dive computer. And because of that, I didn't hit the problem. At least I think that's the case. I have an experimental fix - now the question is how to give you access to a test build. On iOS it's much harder to side-load an app - so I guess I need to add this to an official beta build.

Are you signed up for our beta test? You can opt in here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/k2OGhIS5

Thanks

/D

Dariusz Bogdanski

Feb 13, 2020, 5:26:43 PM2/13/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Yes. I am signed onto beta iOS test.

I have to think a bit how to reproduce it. I might create new subsurface account.

Will my subsurface iOS gps data be deleted when I change account/login? If not it should be easy to test with my recent dives data still on my computer.
Unfortunately I don’t dive every month:)

Rgds

Dariusz

On 13 Feb 2020, at 21:12, Dirk Hohndel <di...@hohndel.org> wrote:

And somehow suddenly it all became clear... the reason why I never was able to reproduce this was because I was trying this with my test account. Not with dives freshly downloaded from a dive computer. And because of that, I didn't hit the problem. At least I think that's the case. I have an experimental fix - now the question is how to give you access to a test build. On iOS it's much harder to side-load an app - so I guess I need to add this to an official beta build.

Dirk Hohndel

Feb 13, 2020, 5:34:58 PM2/13/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

> On Feb 13, 2020, at 2:26 PM, 'Dariusz Bogdanski' via Subsurface Divelog <subsurfac...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Yes. I am signed onto beta iOS test.

Ok, I'll try to push a new beta later today - with the iTunes store I can never predict how long it will take for that to actually show up... Sometimes minutes, sometimes days...

> I have to think a bit how to reproduce it. I might create new subsurface account.
>
> Will my subsurface iOS gps data be deleted when I change account/login? If not it should be easy to test with my recent dives data still on my computer.

Yes, those are not associated with cloud storage.

> Unfortunately I don’t dive every month:)

I hear you. Neither do I.

/D

Dirk Hohndel

Feb 14, 2020, 1:33:11 PM2/14/20
to Subsurface Divelog
So this was published yesterday and all iOS beta users should have received a notification that a new version is available.
I created a test scenario that should match your situation and for me it successfully saves freshly applied GPS data.

Please let me know if this Beta fixes the issue for you.

Thanks

/D

Dariusz Bogdanski

Feb 14, 2020, 3:12:20 PM2/14/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Great. This weekend I will try to test. I have to think it through to make sure I use data I’ve got available in the manner as close as possible to real use case.

Rgds

Dariusz

> On 14 Feb 2020, at 18:33, Dirk Hohndel <di...@hohndel.org> wrote:
>
> So this was published yesterday and all iOS beta users should have received a notification that a new version is available.

kapitainsky

Feb 16, 2020, 4:45:45 AM2/16/20
to Subsurface Divelog
I have tested with latest mobile beta app and with new desktop environment trying to replicate my previous issue as close as possible.

GPS data syncing works now as expected.

Small remaining issue is that after applying GPS fixes and then syncing data to the cloud previous dives display is corrupted (they are not accessible)

FDA33354-E85C-461C-AF63-CA7E745CE2AE.png

It is not critical though as simple restarting the app fixes it:

0036C5D8-59C8-4906-8E3A-3DD0325A6B14.png

I have also question regarding mobile app GPS data storage. I have noticed that after certain amount of data is recorded I can't see GPS fixes anymore (when I try app crashes). They are still there and can be applied to dives. Is there any limit how much data can be stored (but phone memory)? When for example on liveaboard I wonder if I can leave app running for days or rather only activate it during diving times.