Git compatibility?

Jákup Højgaard Lützen

Feb 26, 2021, 11:17:20 AM2/26/21
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi. The cloud service that Subsurface offers is great, but I like to take things into my own hands, and being that Linus is one of the creators of Subsurface, I would have imagined that Git integration would be easy.
Turns out it isn't.
When using the Subsurface android app, Is there any way to manually tell the app where to find and save the .rrsf file, such that I can have it syncronized by git in the background? Right now I can't even figure out where it saves the file.
(Subsurface-mobile, Version: 3.1.3 (4.9.10.188))
Thanks

Dirk Hohndel

Feb 26, 2021, 11:31:13 AM2/26/21
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
The backend to cloud storage is git. All the mobile app saves is a local cache of the git repo that it syncs with the cloud backend - there is no local XML file.

Given that the vast majority of divers aren't IT pros we simply take care of managing things for them; doing this also makes it possible for me to fix issues for users when things don't go as planned with the git storage (which they do at times).

To avoid configuration nightmares for our users, the connection to the cloud storage backend is hard coded in the app - but since it is open source you can of course modify this, use your own preferred git backend and create your own app to support that feature. The app that I release will continue to only support the Subsurface cloud storage backend, simply to keep the already significant support load this creates manageable.

/D

Robert C. Helling

Feb 26, 2021, 11:31:45 AM2/26/21
to Subsurface Divelog
The cloud storage is in fact git under the hood. On desktop, you can also locally store in the git format: Initialize a repository and save to the directory with a file name [BRANCH], that is bracket, then the branch name and then another bracket. This is a normal git repository and you can do with it whatever you want.

On mobile, this is currently not possible: We decided that maintaining other cloud/local storages would lead to an infinite number of user requests and frustration on both sides.

What you can do on your own risk is to build the android app yourself after changing the address of the cloud server so that it points to your own server. But then you are on your own. This is a bit harder, but this is on purpose because it is not for the faint hearted.

Best
Robert

jakup...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2021, 11:44:48 AM2/26/21
to Subsurface Divelog
Ok cool. Thanks for the swift and clear reply.
I totally understand, and agree with that decision.
I might look into that at some point.
Thanks for an awesome app! :)