Moving Divesites from One User to Another

Michael Newman

Apr 6, 2019, 9:24:27 PM4/6/19
to Subsurface Divelog
Subsurface 4.8.5 Mac OS 10.14.4

My wife just started using Subsurface.

We'd like to avoid having to manually create dive sites for her.

Would it be possible for me to copy the <divesites> element from my ssrf file into her xml file?

It's not clear to me why my file has the ssrf extension while hers is xml. The only difference is that I use Cloud storage (with a local backup copy) and she just stores her xml file locally.

Michael Newman

Apr 7, 2019, 9:42:43 PM4/7/19
to Subsurface Divelog
Well, this was a huge failure. I edited her xml file to include all 80 dive sites that are in my ssrf file. The first time I opened her xml file in Subsurface, all those dive sites were there. I was able to add dive site locations to a few of her dives without entering the name and coordinates manually.

But, once I saved the changes, Subsurface deleted all of the dive sites that were not actually her dives. So, instead of 80 dive sites her xml file now has only three.

So, I guess we’ll have to edit her xml file to add the dive sites element every time we do a new set of dives.

Henrik B A

Apr 8, 2019, 4:10:53 AM4/8/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Subsurface Mailing List
On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 3:42 AM Michael Newman <mike.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
Well, this was a huge failure. I edited her xml file to include all 80 dive sites that are in my ssrf file. The first time I opened her xml file in Subsurface, all those dive sites were there. I was able to add dive site locations to a few of her dives without entering the name and coordinates manually.

But, once I saved the changes, Subsurface deleted all of the dive sites that were not actually her dives. So, instead of 80 dive sites her xml file now has only three.

Yes, this has been a serious problem with Subsurface since the start, since dive sites aren't treated as first class citizens. Dive sites just disappear if you happen to not have it linked to a dive :(

There is work underway to revamp the whole dive site database logic, though, so there's hope that even I can use Subsurface as my main dive logging software some time in the future.  Really looking forward to it! :)

Cheers,
Henrik

Michael Newman

Apr 8, 2019, 7:34:57 PM4/8/19
to Subsurface Divelog
Years ago, long before Subsurface, I started building a collection of GPX files with all the dive sites I’d visited in Thailand and elsewhere in the region. When I started using Subsurface I figured it would be easy to import the GPX data into Subsurface. Wrong. I had to copy the coordinates from the GPX file, convert to the format that Subsurface wanted and then paste into Subsurface. Tedious, at best. (I think the format conversion step is no longer necessary.)

Anyway, I look forward to improved dive site management.

Mike Newman
Korat, Thailand

Dirk Hohndel

Apr 9, 2019, 12:48:23 AM4/9/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Work is underway to make this all a lot better.
We are doing a quick 4.8.6 release to fix a couple of bugs, but the real goal is to get 4.9 out in the next couple of months. And that will do a much better job with divesites, including no longer deleting divesites without explicitly being asked to do so.
If you are interested, I'm happy to invite you to be part of the team testing this code and helping us to get things right.

/D

MGN Google

Apr 9, 2019, 7:44:04 AM4/9/19
On Apr 9, 2019, at 11:48, Dirk Hohndel <di...@hohndel.org> wrote:

> If you are interested, I'm happy to invite you to be part of the team testing this code and helping us to get things right.

I’d be happy to help in any way I can.

Dirk Hohndel

Apr 10, 2019, 12:10:03 PM4/10/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Maybe this would be easier done via the Subsurface developer mailing
list... we have a monster pull request under development on GitHub that is
the starting point for the dive site export. There is no export code, yet,
but on the developer mailing list is some discussion on how this could be
implemented.
And that, I think, is where your input (and later, testing) would be
helpful.

Thanks

/D