Subsurface 4.9.6 closes while editing - crash/log file?

Michael Werle

Jul 14, 2020, 7:43:15 PM7/14/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Subsurface 4.9.6 (official build)
Windows 10 1909

After importing my most recent dives and editing the dives (new dive-sites, notes, etc), Subsurface suddenly closed without warning. Of course, all work lost. (Feature request: continuous auto-save to temporary save file, which is then squashed-and-merged on manual save)

Reloaded, started editing again, SS closed again (much earlier than before, luckily I had partially saved this time).

Wondering whether Subsurface maintains a log file (%LOCALAPPDATA%\Subsurface did not contain one) which might give some clues and if so, where it can be found? (Internet search has not helped).

Cheers,
 - Micha.

Michael Werle

Jul 14, 2020, 8:07:20 PM7/14/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Self-answering: forgot that running from the command-line, there's a "--verbose" option. So no log file per-se to post-troubleshoot an event, but can proactively log data if one suspects a session might have issues..

 - Micha

"The Glass is neither half-empty nor half-full; it is twice as big as it needs to be!"

Dirk Hohndel

Jul 15, 2020, 12:36:29 PM7/15/20
to Subsurface Divelog
On Windows we always save log files because it is such a terribly developer hostile platform.
You can find them in C:\Users\Home\AppData\Roaming\Subsurface : subsurface_out.log and subsurface_err.log

/D

On Jul 14, 2020, at 5:07 PM, Michael Werle wrote:

Self-answering: forgot that running from the command-line, there's a "--verbose" option. So no log file per-se to post-troubleshoot an event, but can proactively log data if one suspects a session might have issues..

Michael Werle

Jul 15, 2020, 7:16:52 PM7/15/20
to Subsurface Divelog

On Thursday, 16 July 2020 01:36:29 UTC+9, Dirk wrote:
On Windows we always save log files because it is such a terribly developer hostile platform.
You can find them in C:\Users\Home\AppData\Roaming\Subsurface : subsurface_out.log and subsurface_err.log

Thank you.

Wbr,
 - Micha.