Can I Correct Wrong Gas Selection?

Martin Swanston

Jun 13, 2024, 10:14:20 AMJun 13
to Subsurface Divelog
I went diving last week using my Perdix AI and pod. The Perdix is set up to use 3 Gas Nx, and I managed to forget to leave the selected gas as 31%. This has meant, when importing into Subsurface, I have a three cylinders listed with the readings from the pod assigned to the second one. I removed cylinder 3, and also removed 31% from the O2% column.
I clearly can't delete the bottom cylinder, but is there any way to import the readings from T2 into T1? /Clearly it's not important, only affects my OCDness :)
Many thanks
Martin
Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 15.13.06.png

Michael Keller

Jun 14, 2024, 4:27:51 AMJun 14
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Hi Martin.

On 14/06/24 02:14, Martin Swanston wrote:
I went diving last week using my Perdix AI and pod. The Perdix is set up to use 3 Gas Nx, and I managed to forget to leave the selected gas as 31%. This has meant, when importing into Subsurface, I have a three cylinders listed with the readings from the pod assigned to the second one. I removed cylinder 3, and also removed 31% from the O2% column.
I clearly can't delete the bottom cylinder, but is there any way to import the readings from T2 into T1? /Clearly it's not important, only affects my OCDness :)

Yes, this is a known limitation of the current version of Subsurface - tank sensor information is mapped 1 : 1 to the enabled gas mixes. So if you are diving with 3 tanks with different gases, this will only give you a correct mapping if you use the first sensor in the list on the dive computer for the tank with the first gasmix in the list of gases (which will be the one with the highest O2 percentage), and the second sensor for the tank with the second gasmix, and so on.

If you are not carrying one of the gasmixes configured in your dive computer it is crucial that you disable this gasmix before you start the dive. This will mean that it is not listed in Subsurface after you download the dive log, meaning it will not cause an incorrect link between gasmix and sensor data. But more importantly, you need to do this as otherwise your dive computer will make incorrect assumptions about the remaining bottom time, which will potentially lead to decompression sickness or an out-of-gas situation. Also see the warning printed in your dive computer manual:

(https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0838/3732/1530/files/Perdix-2_RECREATIONAL_Manual_RevC.pdf?v=1710185719, page 49)

Martin Swanston

Jun 17, 2024, 4:27:55 AMJun 17
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael
Totally accept it was a mistake on my part and understand the implications of selecting the wrong gas.
I’ll leave the dives as is, and be sure to select the correct gas next time!
Thanks
Martin

On 14 Jun 2024, at 09:27, Michael Keller <mike...@042.ch> wrote:

<nSb57eWBbaiadzic.png>

(https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0838/3732/1530/files/Perdix-2_RECREATIONAL_Manual_RevC.pdf?v=1710185719, page 49)

Michael Keller

Jun 17, 2024, 5:19:00 AMJun 17

On 17/06/24 20:27, Martin Swanston wrote:
Totally accept it was a mistake on my part and understand the implications of selecting the wrong gas.
I’ll leave the dives as is, and be sure to select the correct gas next time!

Yes, it is definitely imperative to select the correct gas for your dive. But to a similar extent it is imperative that you have only the gases enabled for your dive that you are actually carrying with you on the dive.

So when using a Shearwater dive computer in '3 gas nitrox' mode, unless you are carrying 3 tanks with 3 different gasmixes on your dive, one or two of the gasmixes must be disabled - only selecting the gasmix that you are using and leaving the other two enabled means that the dive computer thinks that you've got these gases with you and can switch to them whenever directed to by the dive computer.

As a consequence, you may go into decompression on your way up (because you can't switch to a higher percentage nitrox when the dive computer tells you to, or you may have to spend longer on your way to the surface than indicated by the dive computer because the dive computer assumed you'd be using higher percentage nitrox on your way up.

Cheers

  Michael Keller

Gmail im Auftrag von Martin Gröger

Jun 17, 2024, 11:56:43 AMJun 17
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

hm...

maybe there is a workaround to change the used gas.
you can open the locally saved *.ssrf-file in a simple texteditor, scroll to the dive you want to edit and change the gas and save the file. if you are a little familiar with xml-files it should be no prob.

Martin Swanston

Jun 17, 2024, 12:12:38 PMJun 17
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Michael, I’ll give it a try!

Martin Swanston

Jun 19, 2024, 10:14:36 AM (14 days ago) Jun 19
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Michael
I've been trying to find the local ssrf file but no luck (on a Mac).
I did find the file 'divecomputer' for each dive under ~\Library\Application Support\Subsurface\cloudstorage\ and noted the line:
event 0:10 type=25 flags=3 name="gaschange" cylinder=1
For a previous dive using the correct gas, this was:
event 0:10 type=25 flags=1 name="gaschange" cylinder=0
I'm clearly missing something!
Thanks
Martin

Gmail im Auftrag von Martin Gröger

Jun 21, 2024, 7:19:22 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

hi there
ok - save your data local, at a place you can find 😉. File->Save as->

then you can edit the *.ssrf.  then open the local file again in subsurface an got to: File->Save to the Cloud

keep on howling

grey

Martin Swanston

Jun 21, 2024, 7:19:35 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I’m sorted. I saved the file locally, edited the ssrf file and now have a single cylinder and the SAC is also now available in the summary.
I’ve uploaded this back to the cloud and all looks good!
Thanks for your help
Regards
Martin

On 19 Jun 2024, at 15:14, Martin Swanston <martin....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Michael

Martin Swanston

Jun 21, 2024, 7:20:53 AM (12 days ago) Jun 21
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Grey
Yes, I figured that out myself but thanks for confirming I did it right!