Fish ID introduction

RChGDA Diver

Jan 9, 2021, 9:29:56 PM1/9/21
to Subsurface Divelog
Hello, I would like to know if there is a possibility to add a page, field or whatsoever to introduce the ID of the fish, corals, etc. you has been watching during the dive.
I como from "Diveboard web log" and there you have the possibility to select species. That would be great but a simple field to introduce the names will work. }is it possible?

Jason Bramwell

Jan 10, 2021, 3:52:52 AM1/10/21
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
The existing notes field or the tags box would be the appropriate place for this I believe. I ohten write about what I’ve seen in notes.

Jb

Sent from my iPhone

On 10 Jan 2021, at 02:29, RChGDA Diver <rch...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, I would like to know if there is a possibility to add a page, field or whatsoever to introduce the ID of the fish, corals, etc. you has been watching during the dive.
I como from "Diveboard web log" and there you have the possibility to select species. That would be great but a simple field to introduce the names will work. }is it possible?

Willem Ferguson

Jan 10, 2021, 10:10:48 AM1/10/21
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, RChGDA Diver
--

Dear RchGDA,

I am a biologist and your request is of special interest to me. There are several problems, the biggest of which is to have a complete list of marine life. Having a list of fish names from which to select the one you saw is an impossible task, as even FishBase does not have that. There are two possibilities:

1) I suppose one could create a list of fish names that you yourself maintain and update, similar to the list of cylinders that operates on a similar principle. But I need to warn you that this will be a large task. Would you use the scientific names of species or their English names? What if the scientific name (or even English) name changes? As you know, the taxonomists have a way of frequently changing the official names of animals and plants.

2) If using photos, name the photo using the fish name. See the attached image (I still need to identify the soft coral). This works well for me. I use an independent photographic database software to curate my collection of photos but they are also visible from within Subsurface.

Kind regards,

willem

Please refer to http://upnet.up.ac.za/services/it/documentation/docs/004167.pdf
for full details.
Photos1.png

RChGDA Diver

Jan 10, 2021, 1:07:08 PM1/10/21
to Subsurface Divelog
Dear JB2Cool,
Where can I find the existing notes field or the tags box  you mentioned?

RChGDA Diver

Jan 10, 2021, 1:15:56 PM1/10/21
to Subsurface Divelog

Dear Willen,

If you can have a look to the diving log "Diveboard" (https://www.diveboard.com/), you will see that you can choose between a lot of species for each dive. If you don´t find one in the list, you can add it to the catalogue using a reference (from Gbif or EOL). Nowdays is not working properly and doesn’t let add species.

A list like that would be great but I only ask for a field in Subsurface where I can load my species. I will look for them in FishBase or any other and then load just introduce that name in Subsurface.

P.S.: I use scientific names. Sometimes, as you said, those names change, so, if you do not find the name in the list, you need to look for a few other names to find the appropiate (nothing is perfect).

RChGDA Diver

Jan 10, 2021, 1:22:06 PM1/10/21
to Subsurface Divelog
JB2Cool, If you are talking about the main notes field, I think is not the appropiate place. I also refer there the highlights and the most relevant species but I think is not the place to introduce 40 o 50 species you have seen in the dive.

Ramon Charlo

Jan 10, 2021, 9:38:41 PM1/10/21
to willemf...@zoology.up.ac.za, subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Dear Willen,

If you can have a look to the diving log Diveboard (https://www.diveboard.com/), you will see that you can choose between a lot of species for each dive. If you don´t find one in the list, you can add it. Nowdays is not working properly and don’t let add species.