4.9.1 - "no new dives downloaded"

gobbledegeek

Aug 29, 2019, 6:37:54 AM8/29/19
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Folks

Just got back to this software after a long gap of a few years.
I had a pretty seamless experience on OSX with SS 4.9.1, it was plug and play and all the dives were imported effortlessly  from my Hollis DG03.

When I tried the same on Fedora 30 I first ran into the old hiccup of not having added my username to "dialout" group. Fixed that and started the import process -  a few mins later -  the import is finished I get the  "no new dives downloaded"  error message although the import log shows a lot of data transfer activity. I selected to force download of all dives but no luck.

How to fix this?

Thanks

Dirk Hohndel

Aug 29, 2019, 12:17:59 PM8/29/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

Dear nameless user,

We aren't related to the Nazi Schutzstaffel, so I'd prefer a different abbreviation (or write Subsurface).

As to your question...

Are the two computers sharing a cloud account? That would explain that no more dives are downloaded.
But you are also stating that a force download of all dives results in nothing. That's a bit concerning.
I guess we'd need to see a log to get a better idea of what's happening. Can you send a libdivecomputer log (you can enable that in the download screen) as well as the output of Subsurface itself on the command line?

Thanks

/D

gobbledegeek

Aug 30, 2019, 3:42:56 AM8/30/19
to Subsurface Divelog

Hello Dirk,

On Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 9:47:59 PM UTC+5:30, Dirk wrote:

Dear nameless user,

We aren't related to the Nazi Schutzstaffel, so I'd prefer a different abbreviation (or write Subsurface).

Heh ok My apologies.

As to your question...

Are the two computers sharing a cloud account? That would explain that no more dives are downloaded.

No. I didn't know if SubSurface has this feature - I dont do any kind of login ...

But you are also stating that a force download of all dives results in nothing. That's a bit concerning.
I guess we'd need to see a log to get a better idea of what's happening. Can you send a libdivecomputer log (you can enable that in the download screen) as well as the output of Subsurface itself on the command line?

Attached log and bin files. Thanks for your help on this.

Gobbledegeek
subsurface.log.gz
subsurface.bin.gz

gobbledegeek

Aug 30, 2019, 4:07:18 AM8/30/19
to Subsurface Divelog

Forgot to add the cmdline messages : >>

$>Subsurface-4.9.1-x86_64.AppImage
can't find Subsurface localization for locale "en-IN"
Starting download from  /dev/ttyUSB0
downloading all dives
INFO: dc_device_open error value of 0
Finishing download thread: 0 dives downloaded
[G0bble@fowl Downloads]$ Subsurface-4.9.1-x86_64.AppImage
can't find Subsurface localization for locale "en-IN"
--

HTH
Gobbledegeek

Linus Torvalds

Aug 30, 2019, 9:54:50 PM8/30/19
to Subsurface Divelog
On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 12:43 AM gobbledegeek <gobble...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Attached log and bin files.

The log-file seems to say that we did a fair amount of actual IO to
the device, and we finish all happily with the proper QUIT command and
we get an ACK back.

Note that when you ask for a libdivecomputer logfile (like you did
here), there won't be any actual dives downloaded, _only_ the logfile.
But it does look like a completely successful download.

So it really is as if you already had the dives synced over the cloud.
But your fedora install doesn't show any dives in the dive list? I
guess you can do the "force download all dives" checkbox and verify..

Linus

gobbledegeek

Sep 2, 2019, 6:51:31 AM9/2/19
to Subsurface Divelog
Folks
I now understand the simple mistake I made - when I was briefly struggling with the error due to user not being in dialout group, I enabled the libdivecomputer logfile option and skipped "digesting" the implications of the pop-up message warning that no actual dives would be downloaded". My bad -  Root Cause: A simple stupid user error.

However  based on this experience - I have a product improvement suggestion and recommendation to make : -

If I understood UI design correctly, checkboxes are for multiple choice while radio buttons are either/or. If the UI for subsurface import menu could be changed to present these two options as a radio button : Force download of all dives / Save libdivecomputer log file, then users like me can be saved from their own stupidity (or better viewed as time saved from avoidable escalations is useful to everybody - the user and forum responders) . ;)

What do you think?

Best