Android application erasing location coordinates when adding it to another dive

Ivan Karlović

Jul 1, 2024, 6:04:09 AM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I've been using the application for a while now and I'm very happy with how it works. I've noticed one problem on Android though.

When you edit a dive, you can enter the location of the dive and the coordinates as two separate fields. I've been doing that and it works great with new locations that aren't in any other dive.
But I then went to add a dive on a location that was already set on an earlier dive. I selected the location from the list. The coordinates didn't change with the location so I just left the field empty.
When I saved the dive, the empty coordinate files seemed to have overwritten the old coordinates and I lost the location from the map.

I'm not sure what the philosophy of subsurface is, is location to coordinates 1-on-1 mapping or is it possible to have multiple coordinates per location?
If it's the former, may I  suggest updating the coordinate field of the edit dive screen when changing the location to the coordinate that is already associated with that location?
That should fix the problem. Or a more drastic change to remove coordinate editing from the edit dive screen and to be able to edit the coordinates on a separate screen with a list of locations (so you're editing coordinates per location, not per dive).

If you think that behaviour is acceptable, I might try implementing the simpler solution myself. As for the more drastic one, I'm guessing that warrants further discussion.

Ivan

Michael Keller

Jul 1, 2024, 5:54:45 PM (2 days ago) Jul 1
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ivan.

On Mon, 1 Jul 2024 at 22:04, Ivan Karlović <karlov...@gmail.com> wrote:
When you edit a dive, you can enter the location of the dive and the coordinates as two separate fields. I've been doing that and it works great with new locations that aren't in any other dive.
But I then went to add a dive on a location that was already set on an earlier dive. I selected the location from the list. The coordinates didn't change with the location so I just left the field empty.
When I saved the dive, the empty coordinate files seemed to have overwritten the old coordinates and I lost the location from the map.

Yes, this seems to be a problem indeed - if you type in the full name of an existing dive site in the mobile version, then the existing dive site is overwritten with the new dive site, and existing saved coordinates are lost.

I'm not sure what the philosophy of subsurface is, is location to coordinates 1-on-1 mapping or is it possible to have multiple coordinates per location?

Each location has got one set of coordinates (or none if none are entered), but it is possible to have multiple dive sites with the same coordinates, and multiple dive sites with the same name.

If it's the former, may I  suggest updating the coordinate field of the edit dive screen when changing the location to the coordinate that is already associated with that location?

This is already working as designed if an existing dive site is selected from the drop down - it only fails if the dive site name is entered directly into the field.

That should fix the problem. Or a more drastic change to remove coordinate editing from the edit dive screen and to be able to edit the coordinates on a separate screen with a list of locations (so you're editing coordinates per location, not per dive).

If you think that behaviour is acceptable, I might try implementing the simpler solution myself. As for the more drastic one, I'm guessing that warrants further discussion.

Not sure there is a simple solution for this - if the user is typing the dive site name in full, we don't know if they want to add a new dive site, or use the existing one. We definitely know that the current behaviour is not desirable, if the existing dive site is used then the coordinates should not be overwritten. Maybe this could be shown as an additional '[add as new site]' entry in the drop down to allow the user to choose?

Ngā mihi
  Michael Keller
--
GCS$/CC/E/IT d- s+ a C++ UL+++/S++ P L++ E-
W++ N o? K? w O(++) M-- V+ PS+ PE+ Y? PGP+ t