git-load: string marker after running out of strings ('name')

Richard Loewenstein

May 13, 2020, 11:25:17 AM5/13/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi,

Subsurface version 4.9.4
OS  W10 v 1909
Oceanic  OCi

When loading my dives from the cloud storage, I get the message "git-load: string marker after running out of strings ('name')" in a big red bar at the bottom of the screen.
I'm sure that cannot be right, is there a way to fix it please?

(If it is relevant, if I try to open the cloud storage with the android app, the app force closes)

Richard

Dirk Hohndel

May 13, 2020, 11:43:35 AM5/13/20
to Subsurface Divelog

That's a harmless warning that we have removed since the 4.9.4 release, so this will be gone in the next version.

The issue with the Android app is far more concerning (and not related). Debugging crashes on Android is painful.
Google gives me fully anonymized crash data with very bad stack traces.
The only things that I have access to is a rough time stamp (not always reliable I have learned), the device model and Android version.
So something like
"Yesterday, 11:25 PM on app version 1855
 Samsung Galaxy S10e (beyond0), 5632MB RAM, Android 10"

I'll happily try to figure out what's causing your crash. Can you tell me which EXACT device you have, which version of Android, and ideally give me a timestamp (with time zone) when the last crash happened?
Usually the crash information populates with 8 - 36h delay, so if you remember "yesterday around 3pm EDT" that would be good enough.

Thanks

/D

Richard Loewenstein

May 13, 2020, 3:02:56 PM5/13/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Dirk,
First, let me thank you for your lighting response.

I will ignore the red bar and frightening message .

My Android device is a Galaxy S7 Edge 32GB, model No SM-G935F, running Android 8.0.0
Knox version3.1,  API level 25, TIMA 33.0
Kernel version   3.18.91-14843133-QB28500905,
Subsurface-mobile Android app version 3.0.5 (4.9.3.1486)

I hope that is enough data, if you need any more, I will try to supply

Crash at 19:33  Wed 13 May,
And another one after a phone reboot at 19:48
it throws me out just after it prints 'Finish populating data store' on the screen
I am in the UK for the timezone.

Regards
Richard

Dirk Hohndel

May 13, 2020, 3:14:40 PM5/13/20
to Subsurface Divelog

On May 13, 2020, at 12:02 PM, Richard Loewenstein wrote:

Hi Dirk,
First, let me thank you for your lighting response.

I try :-)

My Android device is a Galaxy S7 Edge 32GB, model No SM-G935F, running Android 8.0.0
Knox version3.1,  API level 25, TIMA 33.0
Kernel version   3.18.91-14843133-QB28500905,
Subsurface-mobile Android app version 3.0.5 (4.9.3.1486)

I hope that is enough data, if you need any more, I will try to supply

Crash at 19:33  Wed 13 May,
And another one after a phone reboot at 19:48
it throws me out just after it prints 'Finish populating data store' on the screen
I am in the UK for the timezone.

So if I try to filter for that, I get no crashes. But it may simply be too soon after it happened.
I'll look again tomorrow and see if something pops up. Given how (thankfully) very few crashes
we have, I am certain that the level of information that you have provided is sufficient to
identify the crash dump that this created.

There is a second approach that we could take, if you were willing to consent to that.
I could create a copy of the data in your cloud account and try to reproduce the crash
locally with one of my devices. That would NOT mean that I would log into your account,
it would mean that I would copy the data on the backend server into a test account
that only I have access to. If you are comfortable with that, please let me know in an email
that you send to me (di...@hohndel.org) FROM the account that you use for Subsurface cloud storage.

Thanks and have a good evening.

/D

Richard Loewenstein

May 16, 2020, 11:33:11 AM5/16/20
to Subsurface Divelog
All seems to be fine now.
Thank you Dirk.
Regards
Richard

Andrew Pegge

Jun 23, 2020, 5:19:16 PM6/23/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Evening!

I have the same red message which I will duly ignore.

However, rather annoyingly the system seems to have lost all the dives I have done since Oct 7 2018. Cloud storage is online. Also from the looks of it ALL GPS coordinates. Now I was updating some GPS coordinates just before this loss, and some recent dive info I also added (only) two jpg files. Any ideas as I don't really want to recreate all this and I;m not sure I can!

Best

Andy

Andrew Pegge

Jun 23, 2020, 5:20:24 PM6/23/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Sorry - being dull - windows and iOS versions - all true of both.

Dirk Hohndel

Jun 23, 2020, 5:26:14 PM6/23/20
to Subsurface Divelog
As has been mentioned here on the forum dozens and dozens of times.
Send me email FROM the address you use for the Subsurface cloud.
Give me explicit permission to look at your data

I can usually restore things

/D