DIVE Planner with Subsurface mobile

jacques Besnard

Jun 19, 2019, 2:54:16 AM6/19/19
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi,
I am using the 2.1.5 Subsurface Mobile on Iphone.
I have seen a few posts about the Dive planner for I-phone or Android.
Is it something that you plan to release next?

It would not need to be as rich as the desktop but it would be a great value for the Tek and CCR divers
Something like multideco (V planner) based on GF would be just great.

Best regards

Dirk Hohndel

Jun 19, 2019, 11:13:55 AM6/19/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I hope that every message that you see about the dive planner in Subsurface-mobile contains a comment that
(a) sure, lots of people want this
(b) absolutely no one is working on it, therefore, not likely to happen any time soon

This is an open source project. No one is making a penny on this, I personally spend thousands of dollars a year to keep it going so people can use this for free. No ads, no monetization, nothing. As a result there is no paid developer staff, no marketing department that tries to identify the next killer feature that the users will be willing to pay for. The features are driven by what developers are interested in and have the skills and time to work on.

I find it surprising how many time I post something like this, yet how few people seem to understand it.

/D

Karl Ritchey

Jun 19, 2019, 11:33:02 AM6/19/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
WELL SAID!

Thank you to you and the other developers that have gone the distance to make this happen.

Karl Ritchey

Adric Norris

Jun 25, 2019, 1:27:23 PM6/25/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
As much as I hate to be a "me too", I would dearly love to have the planner available via the mobile app... I've tried a few, but have yet to encounter what I'd consider a good Android dive planner. Sadly I'm far out of my depth on the code front (I'm neither an Android nor QT developer), but if someone ever does have the time and inclination to tackle it I'll happily assist however I can on the testing and documentation end.

On a related note, suggestions for how we non-developers can realistically assist the project would be welcome. While I've done the occasional bug report and testing of pre-releases, etc., it just doesn't feel like there's all that much we can do to help. I'd be happy to learn this assessment is incorrect.

Grey Wolf

Jun 25, 2019, 2:47:52 PM6/25/19
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
hi

at first I have to say - there ARE good dive-planers for android, such as "v-planer" or "multi-deco".
ok - the planing-apps are not for a few bucks - they cost realy money. but thete is a reason for, I think.
it is not sooo easy to understand algorythm like VPM-B or Buehlmann ZH-L16C and impementating these algorythms to an app is not the simple thing done in a few hours. its hard work and I'm thinking, no one does that for free.
for me subsurface-mobile is made for a fast glimp at my logs and maybe to do a fast upload from my DC to the phone at the dive-site. the rest of the work (inkl. planing the dives) is made at home.

but maybe there is a chance to convince dirk to make it possible to export a planed dive (inkl. runtime-table) to the mobile app.

but on the other hand....print the runtime to an pdf-file and send it to the phone - works right now. and for exporting the rest of the plan - just make a screenshot and send it to your phone.

martin

Dirk Hohndel

Jun 25, 2019, 6:41:46 PM6/25/19
to Subsurface Divelog

> On Jun 26, 2019, at 2:47 AM, Grey Wolf <megr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hi
>
> at first I have to say - there ARE good dive-planers for android, such as "v-planer" or "multi-deco".
> ok - the planing-apps are not for a few bucks - they cost realy money. but thete is a reason for, I think.
> it is not sooo easy to understand algorythm like VPM-B or Buehlmann ZH-L16C and impementating these algorythms to an app is not the simple thing done in a few hours. its hard work and I'm thinking, no one does that for free.

Well, Subsurface includes a full planner and it is free in every meaning of the term - but I get your bigger point that turning that into an Android app is yet more work.
I wish we had a developer working on this. But we don't at this point.

> for me subsurface-mobile is made for a fast glimp at my logs and maybe to do a fast upload from my DC to the phone at the dive-site. the rest of the work (inkl. planing the dives) is made at home.
>
> but maybe there is a chance to convince dirk to make it possible to export a planed dive (inkl. runtime-table) to the mobile app.

I'm not sure what you are asking for. The planned dive is part of your dive list which you can of course share with the mobile app via the Subsurface Cloud storage. What am I missing? Or what is Subsurface missing here?

> but on the other hand....print the runtime to an pdf-file and send it to the phone - works right now. and for exporting the rest of the plan - just make a screenshot and send it to your phone.

I don't see why that would be needed...

/D