Garmin Descent Mk3i

Joanna Wang

May 22, 2024, 11:45:32 AMMay 22
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi

I'm moving from a Suunto D4i which worked flawlessly to a new Garmin Descent Mk3i. Can someone please explain to me how to get this to work with subsurface?

>I am on the latest current release and only see "Garmin Descent mk2i", no mk3 option in computer dropdown list
>I tried using the mk2 computer in dropdown, connecting with USB charging cable, connecting via bluetooth, both didn't work
>I then pulled the fit file off Garmin connect, and was able to get it to upload via the file path option in the FAQ, but it only displays total dive time, max depth, no graphs and no air/temp/etc data
>I did a search for Garmin on this forum and saw another thread where it said to download the latest release and the fit file should work, but when I tried that link it gave me a 404 file not found error on GitHub.

Please help.
tx

Michael Keller

May 22, 2024, 7:42:05 PMMay 22
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joanna.

The problem that you are seeing with the latest firmware version on the Garmin Descent Mk3 has been fixed in the latest Subsurface builds. Our downloads page has a problem at the moment, but you can get a build from here in the meantime: https://github.com/subsurface/nightly-builds/releases

Also note that only USB download is supported for Garmin devices, bluetooth will not work to download logs into Subsurface.

Ngā mihi
  Michael Keller

GCS$/CC/E/IT d- s+ a C++ UL+++/S++ P L++ E-
W++ N o? K? w O(++) M-- V+ PS+ PE+ Y? PGP+ t
5? X R tv b++ DI++ D++ G e+++ h---- r+++ y+++

Dietmar Flubacher

May 26, 2024, 11:59:10 AMMay 26
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Michael,

first of all: Thanks for the work you put into connecting the MK3i to Subsurface!!!

I tried but the import was unsuccesful. My MK3i is recognized by Windows as device and the option for the import of dives from a MK3i is displayed. However, the "Device or mount point" in Subsurface remains empty and the list of devices does not list my MK3i even though it was recognized as mentioned earlier. When I try to import all I get is the error "Data Dive import error". I get this error independan tof the transfer protocol (Garmin or MTP).
To make is worse, after the 3rd attempt my MK3i is not any longer recognized by Windows 11 resulting an an error upon connecting:
---
Das Gerät USB\VID_0000&PID_0001\5&2da0b313&0&2 wurde konfiguriert.

Treibername: usb.inf
Klassen-GUID: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}
Treiberdatum: 06/21/2006
Treiberversion: 10.0.22621.3155
Treiberanbieter: Microsoft
Treiberabschnitt: BADDEVICE.Dev.NT
Treiberrang: 0xFF0000
Passende Geräte-ID: USB\RESET_FAILURE
Treiber mit niedrigerem Rang: usb.inf:USB\RESET_FAILURE:00FF2000
Gerät wurde aktualisiert: false
Übergeordnetes Gerät: USB\ROOT_HUB30\4&42c637c&0&0
---

Any advice?
Dietmar

Michael Keller

May 27, 2024, 4:26:50 AMMay 27
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dietmar.

On 27/05/24 02:21, 'Dietmar Flubacher' via Subsurface Divelog wrote:
> first of all: Thanks for the work you put into connecting the MK3i to
> Subsurface!!!

You're welcome! Combining software engineering and diving is good fun.

> I tried but the import was unsuccesful. My MK3i is recognized by
> Windows as device and the option for the import of dives from a MK3i
> is displayed. However, the "Device or mount point" in Subsurface
> remains empty and the list of devices does not list my MK3i even
> though it was recognized as mentioned earlier. When I try to import
> all I get is the error "Data Dive import error". I get this error
> independan tof the transfer protocol (Garmin or MTP).

Hmm, where do you see the transport protocol?

In general, Subsurface supports two different ways to download dives
from newer Garmin Descent devices:

1. with MTP, the 'Device or mount point' field stays empty and
Subsurface finds the device based on the USB ID;

2. in 'file system mode', Subsurface tries to load the dives from the
directory that is specified in 'Device or mount point' - this can either
be the mount point of your Garmin device (but you will have to mount it
first by selecting it in Windows Explorer), or the directory where the
.fit files are, if you have copied them onto your hard drive with
Windows Explorer. To select a directory click on the '...' button next
to the 'Device or mount point' field.

If you are struggling with 1. I'd try copying the .fit files from your
watch (under Garmin/ACTIVITY) onto your hard drive first, and then using 2.

Ngā mihi

  Michael Keller

Joanna Wang

May 27, 2024, 10:09:25 AMMay 27
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Michael

Thanks for the details. I was able to get the download fit file > import option to work, but it cannot find it with the usb charging cable to download directly. I'm running into a separate issue where the latest build (on Mac) will freeze randomly, but hopefully that will be resolved soon.

Thanks

Michael Keller

May 27, 2024, 7:28:35 PMMay 27

On Tue, 28 May 2024 at 02:09, Joanna Wang <joanna....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for the details. I was able to get the download fit file > import option to work, but it cannot find it with the usb charging cable to download directly. I'm running into a separate issue where the latest build (on Mac) will freeze randomly, but hopefully that will be resolved soon.

When trying to download directly from the watch, do you select the path in the 'Device or mount point' field, or do you leave this empty?

Cheers
  Michael Keller

Joanna Wang

May 27, 2024, 11:21:21 PMMay 27
to Subsurface Divelog
Hi Michael, I left the device mount point field blank.

Dirk Hohndel

May 27, 2024, 11:39:00 PMMay 27
to Subsurface Divelog
We have had problems with the MTP drivers for all kinds of reasons on both Windows and Mac.
I honestly think that Garmin is making a mistake abusing that protocol. The moment a system service (or another app) grabs the Garmin, we can no longer access it as it's a "first come owns it" protocol. So something like the Android File Transfer app. Random music players, all kinds of other apps that say "hey, look, there's an MP3 player, let's grab it" prevent Subsurface from accessing the Garmin dive computers...

/D

Michael Keller

May 28, 2024, 5:50:48 AMMay 28

On 28/05/24 15:21, Joanna Wang wrote:
Hi Michael, I left the device mount point field blank.

As Dirk explains, this is a somewhat dicey way to import the dives, and may or may not work depending on other software installed on your device.

It's more reliable if you double-click the Garmin watch in your file manager to mount it and make the files on it accessible, and then use the [...] button in the Subsurface importer to select it. In this case the import will work reliably.

Ngā mihi

  Michael Keller