4.9.4-1 not on repository (at least for Linux Mint

Andreas Hotz

Jun 12, 2020, 1:31:41 AM6/12/20
to Subsurface Divelog
My SubSurface tells me, that the new 4.9.4 would be available, but when updating and upgrading, it does not show. I'm using Linux Mint 18 with the xenial repository, ppa according to the download-page. Here is what my apt says

andreash@xps14 ~ $ sudo apt-get install subsurface
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
subsurface ist schon die neueste Version (4.9.3-1~xenial).
0 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.
andreash@xps14 ~ $ sudo apt-get install subsurface=4.9.4-1-xenial
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig

Regards
Andreas

Miika Turkia

Jun 12, 2020, 2:15:43 AM6/12/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Seems that xenial version is currently not built. I hope I will get it available in an hour or two.

Miika Turkia

Jun 12, 2020, 2:32:47 AM6/12/20
to Subsurface Divelog
Actually, I have to take that back. It seems that Xenial / Mint 18 has too old Qt version and Subsurface cannot be built with that. You should probably go for AppImage instead, or upgrade to newer version of operating system. (I will still ask around, if there is any change to get Subsruface to be built with older Qt, but at least proper BLE support is something that requires something newer than what is available in Xenial/Mint 18.)

Daniel Flipo

Jun 12, 2020, 7:10:39 AM6/12/20
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Le 12/06/2020 à 08:32, Miika Turkia a écrit :
> Actually, I have to take that back. It seems that Xenial / Mint 18 has
> too old Qt version and Subsurface cannot be built with that. You should
> probably go for AppImage instead, or upgrade to newer version of
> operating system.
I run Debian stable (Buster). I have been able to install and use
successfully subsurface 4.9.3 built for Ubuntu Bionic.

I can install subsurface 4.9.4 built for Ubuntu Bionic too but when I
try to launch it, it fails with message:

flipo% /usr/bin/subsurface: relocation error:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/geoservices/libqtgeoservices_googlemaps.so:
symbol _ZN11QGeoMapTypeC1ENS_8MapStyleERK7QStringS3_bbi10QByteArray
version Qt_5_PRIVATE_API not defined in file libQt5Location.so.5 with
link time reference

Good News: I can run Subsurface-4.9.4-x86_64.AppImage successfully.

Which Ubuntu built would you recommend for Debian Buster?

BTW, the download page gives hints for Debian Stretch and Jessie which
are rather old now, it would be nice to get recommendations for Buster
(stable) and Bullseye (testing).

Thanks for your great work and best wishes,
--
Daniel Flipo

Miika Turkia

Jun 12, 2020, 8:48:41 AM6/12/20
to Subsurface Divelog
On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 2:10:39 PM UTC+3, Daniel Flipo wrote:
Hi all,

I run Debian stable (Buster). I have been able to install and use
successfully subsurface 4.9.3 built for Ubuntu Bionic.

I can install subsurface 4.9.4 built for Ubuntu Bionic too but when I
try to launch it, it fails with message:

flipo% /usr/bin/subsurface: relocation error:
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/geoservices/libqtgeoservices_googlemaps.so:
symbol _ZN11QGeoMapTypeC1ENS_8MapStyleERK7QStringS3_bbi10QByteArray
version Qt_5_PRIVATE_API not defined in file libQt5Location.so.5 with
link time reference

Debian and Ubuntu used to have same Qt version, but it seems that nowadays they have different version. This is the case for both Buster and Bullseye. As we use Launchpad to build and distribute the Subsurface deb packages, only Ubuntu based builds are supported (as far as I know). Thus we cannot provide Debian packages on the current setup/infra.

If someone has any convenient solutions, I would be interested in hearing of them. What I can think of from the top of my head, is to setup a pbuilder based build machine to produce our own Debian packages, and have our own Debian repository at subsurface-divelog.org. Will have to think about this and have a chat about it with @dirkhh.

Good News: I can run Subsurface-4.9.4-x86_64.AppImage successfully.

That is the beauty of AppImage :D

Which Ubuntu built would you recommend for Debian Buster?

Right now I don't think any of our repositories work. I don't have any Debian system at hand to verify, but based on the Qt versions that is what I would assume.

BTW, the download page gives hints for Debian Stretch and Jessie which
are rather old now, it would be nice to get recommendations for Buster
(stable) and Bullseye (testing).

Yep, I also just noticed the same this morning. Needs to be updated and hopefully we have some better options for Debian at some point.