Re: Subsurface Password Reset

Dirk Hohndel

Nov 1, 2023, 5:24:17 PM11/1/23
to Moira Davis, subsurface Divelog
Please send broader questions to the Forum, not just to me...

On Nov 1, 2023, at 13:51, Moira Davis <patche...@sasktel.net> wrote:

Hi Dirk:

Massive struggles with Subsurface right now.

I have requested a reset of my password for Cloud storage – more than once – nothing has arrived.

The typical answers to this one are "check in the spam folder". And "search for emails from nor...@subsurface-divelog.org"

If that still doesn't get you the email with the reset link, I can certainly look in the outbound mail server's queue to see what happened to them - but at least right now they aren't in the queue, so my server seems to think it sent them successfully...

I have tried multiple times today to download my Suunto Zoop dives to Subsurface using my PC.  Windows,  10 latest version of subsurface.

I go to import dives – Suunto – Zoop – and it gives me COM5

Subsurface starts download – frees and leaves a red line at the bottom of my screen “unsupported operation”.
The program freezes completely and I have to go to Task Manager to stop it.

I'm not very familiar with using Windows and serial devices... it's been a long time since I tried it... can anyone else comment what could be causing this?

I have tried COM4, COM5, COM7, COM8 these are all my options.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Subsurface on my PC.

I have zero dives on my PC, but 42 still in the Subsurface App on my Samsung S21 Ultra phone.

That sounds like your PC is disconnected from the cloud - likely because you reinstalled the software? So hopefully once you have the password situation sorted, this should work again.

/D

Moira Davis

Nov 1, 2023, 6:45:36 PM11/1/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

I apologize, I struggled to find the group again.

If you can provide a link, that would be great/

Yes, I checked my Spam folders – both sasktel.net and my Outlook.

Did not receive any email from subsurface to reset my password.

Thank you

Dirk Hohndel

Nov 1, 2023, 8:18:47 PM11/1/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
here I am with egg in my face... I did check on the "mail delivery server" that I am using and saw nothing queued.
What I didn't realize was that my internal forwarding had stalled and the email wasn't getting to the delivery server in the first place.

So by now you should have received the missing emails.

/D

Jef Driesen

Nov 2, 2023, 5:19:15 AM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, Moira Davis
On 1/11/2023 22:23, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>> I have tried multiple times today to download my Suunto Zoop dives to
>> Subsurface using my PC.  Windows,  10 latest version of subsurface.
>> I go to import dives – Suunto – Zoop – and it gives me COM5
>>
>> Subsurface starts download – frees and leaves a red line at the bottom of my
>> screen “unsupported operation”.
>> The program freezes completely and I have to go to Task Manager to stop it.
>
> I'm not very familiar with using Windows and serial devices... it's been a long
> time since I tried it... can anyone else comment what could be causing this?

@Moira: Can you try again with the "Save libdivecomputer logfile" checkbox
enabled and afterwards send me the log file? Without the debug log it's
difficult to tell what goes wrong.

Jef

Moira Davis

Nov 2, 2023, 12:01:06 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, patche...@sasktel.net

Hi Jeff:

I just tried to download to Moira Dives and got this error
cid:image001.png@01DA0D7A.D76C4860

I am attaching the logs – I could not get to them using normal drop downs.

Hope this helps

Moira

Nov 2, 2023, 12:21:35 PM11/2/23
to Subsurface Divelog
This is Windows saying that Subsurface cannot open the COM-port. It fails even before it could start to talk to the dive computer. Could it be that some other program is accessing that com port, possibly some other diving software?

best
Robert

Moira Davis

Nov 2, 2023, 12:32:05 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com

No Robert, it’s not accessing any other dive software.

I have 2 files in Subsurface:

Moira Dives.ssrf shows 48 dives

And

Moira.xml which shows 0 dives.

On the Subsurface App on my Android phone it shows 42 dives.

I’ve tried all COMS listed in Subsurface 4, 5, 7, 8,  and all that happens is I get the red error at the bottom of the screen and Subsurface freezes.

Moira

JB2Cool

Nov 2, 2023, 12:46:28 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Has this ever worked before on this machine? it could simply be that the cable is simply missing a driver. An easy way to test for this should be to see what com ports are available when the cable is plugged in and then to check again what com ports are available when the cable is not plugged in, you should see a difference.

Jason

Robert C. Helling

Nov 2, 2023, 12:48:37 PM11/2/23
to Subsurface Divelog
And if there is no difference, it could be that you are lacking the driver for this USB device. All this is independent of the contents of you logbook (file).

Best
Robert

Moira Davis

Nov 2, 2023, 12:58:20 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, patche...@sasktel.net

Hi JB2Cool:

I get the same 4 options for COM ports with or without the cable being plugged in.

This is a new (to me computer) that I bought in February 2022.  We haven’t tried to upload any dives until recently.

It’s a refurbished HP, and all my files/programs from my previous laptop were loaded onto it.

Thanks

Moira

image001.png

JB2Cool

Nov 2, 2023, 1:01:18 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Ok, the HP is probably fine and the dive computer is probably fine too, tell me about the cable, is it a proper Suunto one or something else? i presume it's USB at the end and the special Suunto connection at the otherend.
JB

Robert C. Helling

Nov 2, 2023, 1:02:20 PM11/2/23
to Subsurface Divelog
Ah, if it's a "new" computer, this sounds like you need to install the driver for the connection cable. Chances are that it contains an FTDI chip, in which case you want to install the driver from https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

Best
Robert

JB2Cool

Nov 2, 2023, 1:06:03 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, those would be the drivers i'd have suggested too.

JB

Moira Davis

Nov 2, 2023, 3:12:45 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, patche...@sasktel.net

I selected “Click here” on the suggested page
cid:image001.png@01DA0D85.D2F47AE0

I then went into Subsurface and got the same error again, and Subsurface froze again at COM 4,5, 7,8.

I am not tech savvy whatsoever, and basically need step by step explanations – thank you for your patience.

Moira Davis

patche...@sasktel.net schrieb am Donnerstag, 2. November 2023 um 17:58:20 UTC+1:

Hi JB2Cool:

I get the same 4 options for COM ports with or without the cable being plugged in.

This is a new (to me computer) that I bought in February 2022.  We haven’t tried to upload any dives until recently.

It’s a refurbished HP, and all my files/programs from my previous laptop were loaded onto it.

https://groups.google.com/group/subsurface-divelog/attach/32ee21d20d3bd/image001.png?part=0.1

Thanks

Moira

image001.png

Moira Davis

Nov 2, 2023, 3:25:02 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, patche...@sasktel.net

So, I have tried all 4 COM options and the results and screen shots are listed below:

COM 4 freezes – no red error message at the bottom of the screen

COM5 doesn’t freeze – gives red error at bottom of screen and cannot X out of it

COM 7 freezes – doesn’t show red error

COM 8 – freezes – gives red error at bottom of screen

Moira Davis

image001.png
image002.png
image003.png
image004.png

Jason Bramwell

Nov 2, 2023, 3:40:18 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, patche...@sasktel.net
You need to download this zip file

Then install the program that is in the folder.

I can do some kind of screen share with you if you want and guide you through this.

Jb

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Nov 2023, at 19:25, Moira Davis <patche...@sasktel.net> wrote:

So, I have tried all 4 COM options and the results and screen shots are listed below:

COM 4 freezes – no red error message at the bottom of the screen

<image001.png>

COM5 doesn’t freeze – gives red error at bottom of screen and cannot X out of it

<image002.png>

COM 7 freezes – doesn’t show red error

<image003.png>

COM 8 – freezes – gives red error at bottom of screen

<image004.png>

Moira Davis

Moira Davis

Nov 2, 2023, 5:13:39 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, patche...@sasktel.net

Thank you Jason!

I’ll give it a go and let you know what happens

Moira

Nov 2, 2023, 5:23:54 PM11/2/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, patche...@sasktel.net

Hi Jason:

This is what I got once I extracted what you sent me:

I clicked on the first folder and got this:

2nd folder

3rd folder

Nothing is .exe and I am at a complete loss at this point.

Moira

Nov 3, 2023, 12:30:23 AM11/3/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
hm...

there _could_ be a second way to get it work.

just  download and install the suunto divemanager, because it comes with all the needed drivers and just try to connect your zoop.
if that works you can uninstall the divemanager (but not the drivers) and use subsurface.

just be shure to set your zoop in pc-mode....

keep on howling

grey

Jef Driesen

Nov 3, 2023, 3:25:14 AM11/3/23
On 3/11/2023 05:30, Gmail im Auftrag von Martin Gröger wrote:
> there _could_ be a second way to get it work.
>
> just  download and install the suunto divemanager, because it comes with all the
> needed drivers and just try to connect your zoop.
> if that works you can uninstall the divemanager (but not the drivers) and use
> subsurface.

Assuming Moira uses the official PC interface from Suunto, this is actually the
only option that will work. The PC interface from Suunto does indeed use an FTDI
usb-serial chip, but it also has a non-standard USB VID/PID. That means the
standard FTDI driver won't recognize it:

https://www.libdivecomputer.org/drivers.html

In the past you could add the Suunto VID/PID to the FTDI INF file before
installation, but nowadays I suspect you'll run into trouble with the digital
signature. So the easiest solution is to install the driver from Suunto, which
is included in their application installer.

Jef

moiraadavis

Nov 3, 2023, 9:32:11 AM11/3/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com, moira...@gmail.com
Hi!

Please explain to me, in layman's terms, how I can I remove the suunto divemanager, yet retain its drivers?

Moira

Again, much of this discussion is greek to me.  I have zero computer tech knowledge or ability

Sent from my Galaxy

Nov 6, 2023, 11:51:35 PM11/6/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
hi

ok, I try to explain it...

klick on START -> klick on All APPS -> scroll down to the suunto divemanager -> RIGHT MOUSEBUTTON klick on sunnto divemanager -> klick on UNINSTALL.

and btw: please do not save any documents or software to your desktop. this will slowdown your system or maybe blow it to the moon sometimes.

keep on howling

grey

Moira Davis

Nov 7, 2023, 2:56:06 PM11/7/23
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
I have uninstalled Subsurface, but will deal with this early December, as I've packed up my dive computer for our Mexico trip next week.

Thank you
Moira