Substruct v1.3a - Rails 2.3.8

seth b

Aug 26, 2010, 3:46:36 PM8/26/10
to substruct
I've had some free time this week so I've updated Substruct.

In keeping with my "one version behind" mantra, I've finally updated
Substruct to run on Rails 2.3.8. Latest is in the SVN repo, but not
available for download as an archive just yet.

There's lots of great stuff in the new release but I'm still working
through a list of issues for an official 1.3 drop -
http://code.google.com/p/substruct/issues/list?cursor=208&q=milestone%3Dv1.3&updated=208&ts=1282851752

Here's a beta overview from the CHANGELOG file if you're interested on
what's been going down.

VERSION 1.3 - 08/25/2010
---------------------------------------
Upgraded to Rails 2.3.8, which has been long overdue.

Besides upgrading Rails, I took the time in this release to clean up the
content editing features and make Substruct a solid blogging and CMS.

There are many subtle UI tweaks which improve the workflow of
generating content.

Added:
1. TinyMCE content editor for blogging and product descriptions.
- Provides much more non-tech friendly way to enter information.
2. Slick image selector / uploader when editing content from TinyMCE
- There's an image button that links to an image selection modal,
and you may also upload multiple images, then insert one.
3. Vendored many required gems to simplify installation process.
- This requires you to run rake gems:build now when deploying.

Updated:
1. Upgraded to Rails 2.3.8
2. Refactored the SubModal code and bumped version to 2.0
3. Many UI tweaks

Removed:
1. Support for textile in ContentNodes and Product descriptions
is out the window. Since we're using a rich content editor it makes
no sense to support this format any longer. Migrations are included
to render the textile content, then save back to the database as HTML.

!!! GOTCHAS !!!

Migrations:
Migration support for Engines (which Substruct requires) has been removed
completely in Rails 2.3 / Engines 2.3.

We're handling migrations by copying them into the db/migrations
directory from
Substruct. This means you need to use the old-style NUMBERED migrations,
not the new timestamped ones.

Code Mixing:
Automatic "code mixing" for controllers was removed with Rails/Engines 2.3
This is basically a short cut for requiring a controller/helper from the
plugin before reopening the class again in the application.

If you're overriding any controller code from Substruct
you will need to include the file like so...

require_dependency RAILS_ROOT +
"/vendor/plugins/substruct/app/controllers/store_controller"
class StoreController < ApplicationController
...your custom code here...
end

Upgrade steps:
1. rake gems:build
2. rake substruct:upgrade:v1_3
- This preps your app for Rails 2.3.8 by editing some files.
3. rake rails:update

http://subimage.com
http://twitter.com/subimage

Roger Pack