Github Cleanup

Weston Pace

Mar 1, 2023, 4:02:54 PM3/1/23
to Substrait
I'm going to try and look at a few things this week.  Partly in response to some discussion from the community sync meeting (lack of clarity on who to ask for review) and partly just some of my own initiative to try and encourage contributions and help get things moving.

# Backlog Pruning

I'm going to run through the backlog on the main Substrait project and see if I can categorize and/or close out some issues & PRs.  Also, I'd like to get a better sense of the outstanding PRs.

# PR followup

Our follow-through on PRs has been pretty poor (this is a challenge for all open source projects of course and not necessarily a condemnation).  I'm going to try and be more proactive about driving issues to completion or closing them out.

# Codeowners

I'm creating some PRs to add a CODEOWNERS file to repos.  This will make it more clear to contributors who they should request review from.  It is not a mandate that every code owner review every PR.  I also think CODEOWNERS should be opt in/out.  In other words, if a committer wants to add themselves or remove themselves from the list they should be empowered to do so.  We could even potentially allow non-committers to add themselves to the list if they are interested in actively reviewing PRs (though such a person would no doubt become a committer at some point hopefully).

Jacques Nadeau

Mar 8, 2023, 1:04:45 AM3/8/23
to subs...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, much needed and appreciated!