What is the future for substanced?

Jo G

Feb 24, 2016, 4:37:00 AM2/24/16
to substanced-users
Hi, looking at the traffic on this group I am wondering whether substanced has continuing support. I appreciate everyone is busy and has paid jobs elsewhere but is there a plan?

Carlos de la Guardia

Feb 24, 2016, 12:07:17 PM2/24/16
to substanc...@googlegroups.com
Short term, only plan is to keep the list as responsive as possible, which I think has been done.

Middle term, there are at least two sprints on my calendar this year. That means several full-time days for SubstanceD will happen at least then.

Longer term, would like to see more users, which would require a little promotion. Sprints need to happen before I can even think about that.

Thanks for your continuing interest,

Carlos de la Guardia

Feb 24, 2016, 4:25:12 PM2/24/16
to substanced-users, cgua...@yahoo.com
Carlos, thanks for your reply. Good to hear that there is still desire to take it forward. I will keep coming back to the board. Good luck with the sprints.

Marcel Maré

Apr 18, 2016, 4:29:43 PM4/18/16
to substanced-users
I was wondering about the same thing when looking for a Plone alternative. The mailing list (and by extension the project) did not look very active.
It seems from a quick perusal that the Kotti CMS has similar goals. Has a joining of forces been considered?

Carlos de la Guardia

Apr 18, 2016, 5:00:47 PM4/18/16
to substanc...@googlegroups.com
Kotti is fully dependent on relational databases, and SubstanceD is fully dependent on the ZODB. I don't think joining forces is possible, unless it's in the sense of SubstanceD developers moving on to Kotti. For what it's worth, if you are looking for a Plone alternative, I feel Kotti is a better option right now.

For the present, there has been some (light) work on improving docs recently, and I have been working on a new demo app: https://github.com/cguardia/books. What I can say about SubstanceD future is: this year, specially at PyCon and PloneConf sprints, there will be an attempt to modernize and move SubstanceD forward. If that doesn't work, it may very well be the end of it. In short, wait six months and we'll see if there's any future.

Thanks,

Carlos de la Guardia

Apr 19, 2016, 10:54:49 AM4/19/16
to substanced-users, cgua...@yahoo.com

Have you ever tried to make Diazo work with SD?
If that is possible, then I think SD will have a much greater audience and acceptance.
I think this should be the first step.

Then if someone could bring a couple of simple but well thought and coded basic content types, that the community could improve on, then SD could be a Plone killer (yeah, not nice to say, but anyway Plone is already moribund; they just don't see it)

Finally, a "official api" to write consistent add-ons or plug-ins, will make things fly.

SubstanceD is a good codebase, that is shame to not be fully exploited.
What I think SD needs most now is GUIDANCE, a plan.
Then people with the same interest will join in, knowing their work will not be in vain, but for a common goal.
(and there are lots of people looking for Plone alternatives).

That should not be so difficult!

Marcel Maré

Apr 19, 2016, 2:51:53 PM4/19/16
to substanced-users
Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the honest reply. Could you expand a little on what needs modernizing? From the docs SD looks like a well designed system.
It would seem to me that there could be a lot of interest for an app platform like SD aimed at developers. Plone, though useful as a product, is too cumbersome as a platform.
SD needs more exposure perhaps. Will somebody do a presentation at pycon?

Marcel

Carlos de la Guardia

Apr 19, 2016, 3:40:10 PM4/19/16
to substanc...@googlegroups.com
For starters, I want to add a JSON API and some tooling to make the retail view side easy to handle for ReactJS, Angular and company.

You are right that we need to generate more interest somehow. Sadly, PyCon is not really open for web talks lately, much less for an unknown system. We may try to give a lightning talk at least, if possible.

Carlos de la Guardia

('Carlos de la Guardia' via substanced-users) pronounced:

>For starters, I want to add a JSON API and some tooling to make
>the retail view side easy to handle for ReactJS, Angular and company.

Also see the issues under the "Future enhancements" milestone.
https://github.com/Pylons/substanced/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A%22Future+enhancements%22

>You are right that we need to generate more interest somehow.
>Sadly, PyCon is not really open for web talks lately, much less
>for an unknown system. We may try to give a lightning talk at
>least, if possible.

Don't forget the sprints and the Pyramid booth at PyCon!

--steve

Steve Piercy, Soquel, CA