SP5 Update

Andrew Darby

Aug 25, 2021, 3:07:07 PM8/25/21
to subjec...@googlegroups.com
Hello, all.  We have been talking about version 5 of SubjectsPlus for some time, but we have finally gotten started.  The idea is a complete re-write, to clean up the code base and fix some persistent bugs, along with UI and functional changes.  We will be using the Symfony PHP framework.

We are starting out with the FAQ module, since it's the simplest, to establish a baseline and get more familiar with Symfony.  Notes on the work done so far are below.

If you are interested, we have a developers' Slack channel for code updates and discussion.  Drop me a line if you would like to be added.

Andrew

/////////////////////////////////////////////////
SP5 Development So Far
[write-up by Renel Desir]

Last month we introduced Symfony with the goal of having SP4 running while we add new SP5 features.

* As of now, SP4 and SP5 are working simultaneously with one another. Any request to a page that is not SP5 will default back to that SP4 specific page/functionality. This is useful for adding new features without abandoning core functionality.

We have authentication for SP5 up:

* Implementation of the Symfony authentication module on new pages (I.e. dashboard page, faq pages)
* We still have 2 auth systems in place, both the old one and the symfony authentication module. Symfony pages (new pages) use the Symfony authentication module while SP4 pages still use the old model.
* We do not have the Symfony authorization implemented. In order to unify the systems, we need to create a password migration pattern and refactor the user sessions.
* Authentication is tied to the Staff table/entity.

We have achieved major progress on the Frequently Asked Questions(Faq) pages:

* With the FaqController, we can fetch Faq’s, create, edit, and delete them.
* Any changes to or creation of an Faq are logged and associated with a Staff member allowing Staff to view the faq’s they have either created or modified.
* Faq’s can be associated with a Subject or Faqpage/Collection upon creation or edit.
* Visibility for an Faq on the frontend can be toggled through the “active” field.
* Keywords for Faq’s are now in json format from varchar(255) type. This will allow for more keywords to be added to an Faq. Through a doctrine migration script, existing comma delimited keywords will be converted to a json compatible format.

CKEditor 4 is now running within SP5 and is currently implemented within the Faq forms.

We have a base implementation of unit testing through phpunit which will be used for automatic testing.

PHPDoc has been introduced to begin generating development documentation for our class files.

Errors will be logged in a Log table where admins can isolate specific errors by error type, the url, session token, date, and/or client ip. The logs are then viewable through an admin interface.

Abel Facenda

Aug 25, 2021, 3:52:55 PM8/25/21
to subjec...@googlegroups.com
👍🎉🙌