Subclipse is on the move

Mark Phippard

Sep 15, 2016, 8:38:08 AM9/15/16
to Subclipse
We have moved the Subclipse project from tigris.org to GitHub.  See: https://github.com/subclipse/subclipse/wiki

I envision most questions happening on StackOverflow as they do already, but I have created this group as a place where traditional email discussions can happen and it is also a place where I can announce new releases.

As part of moving the project to GitHub we did a lot of cleanup and reorganization of the source code.  The main goal was to modernize the build and packaging so that it can be automated using Maven/Tycho.  As part of doing this, I updated the minimum Eclipse version to 4.2.0 as that is the oldest version I could reliable automate the build against.  If you still need to run Subclipse with an older Eclipse version the old update sites are still available to install Subclipse, but we will not be updating those moving forward.  I am guessing this is not an issue for the majority of users.

Since we have this new Eclipse requirement, I also jumped the version of Subclipse from 1.x to 4.2.0 and will move forward from there.  A new release with this version and produced by the new build process is available.  For now, the Eclipse Marketplace is still pointing to the old update sites as I want to give time for some feedback and problems.  For example, you might be using other plugins that depend upon Subclipse and have a version requirement that breaks.  I want to give time to find and fix these problems.

Functionally speaking, the new release should be pretty identical to the previous releases as we have not done any feature work recently.  There were two minor bug fixes made that had not been released yet and are included in this build.

Other important changes:

* New release requires SVN 1.9.x client
* New release requires Eclipse 4.2+ and Java 1.6+
* All update sites have been moved to bintray.com so use the new URL's.  Downloads will be faster and more reliable now.

I simplified and rearranged the feature structure.  More plugins are just included in the Subclipse feature now.  This DOES seem to cause some problems when upgrading from an old release.  You can resolve this by first uninstalling the old Subclipse and CollabNet features and then install the new version.  I do not believe there is a way to fix this other than to continue posting the old features which would defeat the goal.  In the big picture, it seems worth it to have a little pain now so that future installs and upgrades are simpler.

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Mark

Leonid Rozenblyum

Jan 5, 2017, 4:27:31 AM1/5/17
to Subclipse
Hello, move to GitHub & Bitray is cool!
Has collabnet merge client also moved? I have troubles in finding a correct update site for it

Mark Phippard

Jan 5, 2017, 4:31:53 PM1/5/17
to Leonid Rozenblyum, Subclipse
It is part of the Subclipse Github repository now:

The update site for it has always just been part of Subclipse.  The plugin is now just part of the core Subclipse feature.  No longer optional or separate.

Mark

Julian Gregory

Aug 11, 2019, 1:47:50 AM8/11/19
to Subclipse