Xenix 2.3.4 multiple volume tar commands

Geoff Burch

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

Hello again...

I was hoping that someone might be able to confirm that A) either I am
crazy, or B) This version of Xenix is crazy. In the great drama that
my client is experiencing concerning not having any backups or viable
backup media/devices, we are forced to backup a 300MB database onto
floppy disks now. According to the xenix manual, if one is to backup
a file onto multiple volumes, one is supposed to use this command:

tar cvfk /dev/fd1135ds18 1200 database

where 1200 is the K amount you want the tar command to stop at and
begin on new media. We are using 1200 K to make sure that nothing
gets copied to any bad blocks on a floppy. However, upon issuing this
command on a test file, we get the error message:

volume ends at 1199k, blocking factor 1k
tar: could not stat database

Is the manual on crack? Am I crazy? We tried a whole bunch of
different permutations of this command, relative paths, distinguished
paths, A switches, etc... nothing seemed to get the desired result.
Does anyone happen to know a way around this? I would greatly
appreciate knowing it if someone does...

Many thanks in advance.

________________________________
Geoff Burch
Technology Management Consulting
ge...@columbus.rr.com
ge...@tmconsult.com

Fred Smith

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

Geoff Burch (ge...@columbus.rr.com) wrote:
: Hello again...

: I was hoping that someone might be able to confirm that A) either I am
: crazy, or B) This version of Xenix is crazy. In the great drama that
: my client is experiencing concerning not having any backups or viable
: backup media/devices, we are forced to backup a 300MB database onto
: floppy disks now. According to the xenix manual, if one is to backup
: a file onto multiple volumes, one is supposed to use this command:

: tar cvfk /dev/fd1135ds18 1200 database

From memory (I'm not where I can check a Xenix manual, at the moment)
I think you need to add the 'b' option:

tar cvfkb /dev/fd1135ds18 1200 database

which, my memory is working, tells it to do a multi-volume archive.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- fre...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us -----------------------------
I can do all things through Christ

Bill Vermillion

May 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/18/98

In article <Et4K0...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>,

Fred Smith <fre...@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>Geoff Burch (ge...@columbus.rr.com) wrote:
>: Hello again...
>
>: I was hoping that someone might be able to confirm that A) either I am
>: crazy, or B) This version of Xenix is crazy. In the great drama that
>: my client is experiencing concerning not having any backups or viable
>: backup media/devices, we are forced to backup a 300MB database onto
>: floppy disks now. According to the xenix manual, if one is to backup
>: a file onto multiple volumes, one is supposed to use this command:
>
>: tar cvfk /dev/fd1135ds18 1200 database
>
>From memory (I'm not where I can check a Xenix manual, at the moment)
>I think you need to add the 'b' option:
>
> tar cvfkb /dev/fd1135ds18 1200 database

The options to tar follow in order. The fkb want f - a device
name, k - volume size and the b - blocks.

In the above you need a block size after the volume size - and 18 is
typically used. If you use the raw device, /dev/rfd1135ds18 you
should see a speed increase.

SCO's Xenix and Unix have always permitted volume spanning as I
recall, thought I've worked with other OSes that did not.

--
bi...@bilver.magicnet.net | b...@wjv.com

Jeff Liebermann

May 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/19/98

On Sat, 16 May 1998 14:03:42 GMT, ge...@columbus.rr.com (Geoff
Burch) wrote:

>In the great drama that
>my client is experiencing concerning not having any backups or viable
>backup media/devices, we are forced to backup a 300MB database onto
>floppy disks now.

The others answered the questions of dealing with the tar
command. I'll question your question and suggest that you're
doing this all wrong. A 300MB database is going to take about
260 floppy disks. One mistake, on a single floppy, and the whole
backup is hosed. This is a truely dumb way of doing a backup
(and possibly a restore).

Since this sounds like a one time exercise, you should beg, buy,
borrow or steal a QIC-150 tape drive and DC6150 tapes. I suggest
the Archive 2150L and VP-402 QIC-02 interface card. These are
supported by just about every known operating system including
all version of Xenix 386. No SCSI is required. If you have to
buy one, I get my used tape stuff from:
http://www.supertechnologies.com

Also, be advised that there's a bug in the Xenix 2.3.1 cpio
command for multiple volumes. (Xenix 2.3.2, 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 work
just fine). See:
http://www.sco.com/cgi-bin/ssl_reference?106159
Strangely, the bug returned in Unix 3.2.2. It's really incidious
because it only shows up on restore. Your 2.3.4 should be just
fine.

[x]email [x]news [ ]mailing list

--
Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
(408)699-0483 pgr (408)426-1240 fax (408)336-2558 home

BARRY O. ANDALMAN

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98
I agree w/ Bela's response. Why make life complicated. Try this simple
command:

$ tar cvf /dev/fd1135ds18 /usr/xxx/database

Forget about all of this blocking factor and media size parameters. XENIX
knows how big a floppy is in blocks (the 'k' parameter) and the default
block size of, I think 10, is fine (the 'b' parameter). The "cannot stat"
message indicates XENIX cannot find the file. Try an absolute pathname,
e.g., /usr/db/databasename.

--
Barry
Barry O. Andalman <taft...@accesscom.net>