Parallel/Series Partial Hybrid-electric 19PAX commuter aircraft

Dimitra Eirini Diamantidou

Feb 28, 2023, 5:43:49 AM2/28/23
to SUAVE FORUM
Hello,

I have started working with SUAVE for about 3 weeks now. I am a Ph.D. student and I would like to study a 19-passenger commuter aircraft with a parallel/series partial hybrid-electric powertrain architecture.

The powertrain architecture consists of:
  • Two turboprop engines
  • One aft-mounted propeller
  • Battery System
  • Power Electronics (basic assumptions)
  • Motor to drive the e-propeller
I have been going through the main tutorials, publications, and methods but I could not find the architecture I am interested in or the sizing methodology for a turboprop engine.

I would be definitely interested to develop some of these features (if they are not available) in order to be able to study this concept. My main focus is to investigate performance on a mission level by looking at hybridization levels with respect to fuel consumption, total energy consumption, payload, range, emissions, etc.

I would also be interested in airframe/propulsion interaction for the e-propeller using some middle-fidelity approach.

Would it be possible to let me know if some of these features are available?
Also, where can I start with the development of such modules in SUAVE? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Dimitra

Emilio

Mar 15, 2023, 2:38:20 AM3/15/23
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi Dimitra,
I don't think anyone has truly sat down and made a good turboprop model in SUAVE. There's some old forum posts about this.

There's a few easy ways to hack one into SUAVE: use the IC engine with an appropriate SFC, use the PyCycle interface and start from a turboshaft, or use the propulsion surrogate.

The issue with taking the turbofan model and adapting it has to do with engine speed. The propeller requires it.

Nothing is a show stopper here, it just turns out that turbofans have a lot of parts to keep track of.

Let us know if you need guidance in building a turbofan network.

-Emilio