Airfoil of propeller

Haoliang Yu

Mar 15, 2023, 2:44:22 AM3/15/23
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi,
I just find that the Airfoil of propeller in VSP model by SUAVE is not NACA4412.
I think there maybe something wrong here.
I do not know this is a right thing or not.

Many thanks
Knight
_Q[98TB5)DA9FE}BYWAUDWQ.png

Emilio

Mar 15, 2023, 2:57:35 AM3/15/23
to SUAVE FORUM
Hmm, I don't have an answer for this. It should import the airfoil as a custom airfoil from the geometry file.

It is the correct T/C and chord location, so some kind of data is being transferred.

-Emilio

rob.a.m...@gmail.com

Mar 15, 2023, 12:19:54 PM3/15/23
to SUAVE FORUM
When OpenVSP imports a BEM file, it ignores the airfoils in the file.

You can go through and read in custom airfoil files from points if that is what you are working with.  That is a manual process.

You will get a higher quality propeller loft if you stick with the built-in airfoils for propellers.  In particular, it is best if you stick with one family of airfoils for the entire prop.

OpenVSP can use a spanwise distribution of cli and t/c to build airfoils, so if you go this way, you only need 'hard' airfoils at the root and tip.

Rob