Fidelity-Zero: How to properly add spoiler drag to a configuration?

Hu gePanic

Nov 8, 2022, 1:53:07 AM11/8/22
to SUAVE FORUM
I want to define a OEI (one engine inoperative) configuration that has added drag due to thrust asymetry.

I want to use  "aerodynamics.settings.spoiler_drag_increment = 0.xx" setting for that.

I found no way to do this with inside the configuration builder:
    config = SUAVE.Components.Configs.Config(base_config)
        config.tag = 'oei'
        ###   I want to add spoiler drag here ####
        configs.append(config)

What I can do, is adjust the spoiler drag later, when I define the mission:
   # ------------------------------------------------------------------
    #   Cruise Segment: Constant Mach, Constant Altitude
    # ------------------------------------------------------------------

    segment = Segments.Cruise.Constant_Mach_Constant_Altitude(base_segment)
    segment.tag = "oei_cruise"
    segment.analyses.extend( analyses.oei)
    analyses.oei.aerodynamics.settings.spoiler_drag_increment = 0.1    #set drag-points here --> will be ADDED to cd0
    segment.altitude      = 35000 * Units.ft
    segment.mach  = 0.7
    segment.distance   = 10 * Units.km

I just don't like it, since I have to keep track of these setting for each mission segment.

My question:
How can I define spoiler drag for each configuration?

Thank you
Matthias

Emilio

Nov 8, 2022, 2:22:38 PM11/8/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi Matthias,
Each config actually has it's own set of analyses. Take a look at the B737 tutorial, it runs the same base analysis settings for all configs.

What you need to do is then adjust the OEI config's analyses just after that. Alternatively what I've done in the past is set a value to all configs and then built up the drag increment when it processes the analyses. You can see a similar example here.

Basically, it's really up to you how you feel you'd like to book keep it.

-Emilio