Network/engine specifications

Sebastian Leblic

Dec 30, 2022, 12:39:23 PM12/30/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi all,

Happy holidays!

I am working on ensuring a turbojet module works well enough to give relatively accurate results in thrust, mass flow at inlet and exit, along with some other exit properties. The module is aimed at modelling small-scale turbojet performance and is based on the turbojet module already given in the SUAVE package. My question is related to geometry specs and subsequent descriptors laid out in a SUAVE "vehicle" description.

The engine is going to be placed within the fuselage and I want to ensure I have indicated the correct parameters in my vehicle to model this. When it comes to inlet areas, I am looking for a little help in deciphering the parameters listed in my output which is shown here:

engine_specs.JPG

How I understand it, "wing mounted" and "areas: wetted" would be implicatory to drag calculations and wont affect engine performance outputs. I don't need drag calcs at the moment so I will update that later. What I am focused on is the difference between "areas: inflow" and "inlet_diameter" - are these different and how do they effect propulsion performance calcs?

Further, in the case of propulsion calcs, is it important to specify "areas: exit"? Ideally I'd like to specify as much as possible for the engine parameters. I wont be using aerodynamic modules as I am using a surrogate, so specifying parameters that impact this is not important to me. In the end, I would just like to discern which parameters I've listed (and maybe others) affect propulsion vs which affect aerodynamics.

I have gone through the modules to try and see how these variables play out within the calculations, but I still have a little uncertainty and some input from your side would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Emilio

Jan 4, 2023, 8:09:41 PM1/4/23
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi Sebastian,
I looked at the areas and diameter,. They look like they need to be removed. They were left over from before we had Nacelles and were used for aerodynamics. I made an issue on Github. For now, totally ignore them.

The wing_mounted flag has to do with weights calculations and pylons. For your case of a turbojet in the fuselage, set that to False.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

-Emilio