Adding a dynamic performance analysis

Daniel E.

Nov 9, 2022, 7:33:43 PM11/9/22
to SUAVE FORUM
I am trying to predict the dynamic handling characteristics of a parametric vehicle design. Currently, all the performance predictions are contained within  Stability.Fidelity_Zero()

First a suggestion, break out the phugoid, dutch roll, etc calculations into a separate method from the static and dynamic derivative calculations.

The reason for the suggestion is that I would like to use the derivatives from compute_aero_derivatives() method (which executes post-segment) in my handling predictions.

How would you suggest best implementing this new function? As a separate analysis? When I tried creating a new segment postprocess method, I found compute_derivatives had not executed yet. Anyways, hope my question is clear. Thanks.

Emilio

Nov 9, 2022, 8:33:37 PM11/9/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Haha, I didn't even know we had dynamic stability analyses in SUAVE.

We've basically stayed away from dynamic stability because it requires moments of inertia of the vehicle to do accurately. We're making new weights methods which should provide moment of inertia estimates for a vehicle. You'll hopefully see that in 2.6.

As far as what you're trying to do (assuming you have moments of inertia), should work. A new segment post process method should be straightforward once you have CnB etc.... The methods will be executed in the order they're added to the mission when setting up. I think what you're doing as a part of the mission makes it a little cleaner rather than a new set of analyses.

-Emilio