Lift Distribution Plot AVL

Cornelius Kauffmann

Nov 5, 2021, 7:10:06 PM11/5/21
to SUAVE FORUM
Hello!
Is it possible to get a lift distribution plot using the data calculated by AVL? The internal plot function plot_lift_distribution() works fine for me with Fidelity Zero, but I am not able to get the plot to work for the analysis with AVL. However, I noticed in the source code that SUAVE is reading in the sectional lift distribution results obtained by AVL, so this should work somehow.

Thanks in advance!
Cornelius

ebot...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2021, 3:31:20 PM11/8/21
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi Cornelius,
It is possible. But there's a reason why it's not done.

AVL is a computationally expense analysis code to run for SUAVE. Therefore, SUAVE will run AVL before a mission and calculate results for a bunch of flight conditions. From those results surrogate models are built. However, these surrogate models don't save the full lift distribution for a mission.

So, yes, we do pull the lift distribution data out (because it's there). But then later it is discarded. So if you wanted to use SUAVE's ability to call AVL and plot_lift_distribution() you would need to do a little coding. Running AVL within a mission would take a very long time to converge. But you could just run AVL for a few angles and mach numbers and plot those.

-Emilio

Cornelius Kauffmann

Nov 8, 2021, 5:53:05 PM11/8/21
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi Emilio,
thank you for your helpful response, I'll try to do it that way.
Cornelius