Transition from hover climb to wing climb

Tim S

Sep 6, 2022, 7:20:27 AM9/6/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi all,

I have tried using the transition function to transition from hover climb to wing climb for a lift+cruise configuration. However, I have some issues with the initial conditions that need to be defined.

Somehow the inputs as it is defined in Doxygen are not working, for example the 'Segments.Transition.Constant_Acceleration_Constant_Angle_Linear_Climb' requires air_speed_start and air_speed_end but an error occurs when defining this in the missions section.
The error is:
SUAVE_1.PNG
with the input:
SUAVE_1.PNG
The air_speed_start is probably not necessary but it seems like there is another mistake. When just defining air_speed:
SUAVE_1.PNG
I get a different error message:
SUAVE_1.PNG

I saw in the tailsitter tutorial you have a phase called: Segments.Cruise.Constant_Acceleration_Constant_Altitude which could act as a substitute for the transition. Can you tell me the differences between the transition and the constant acceleration in cruise? Because I need a phase between the hover_climb and wing_climb in which both lifter rotors and the propeller is active and ideally swith off the lifters if certain requirements are met. Is there something like this available or does this need to be implemented?

Thanks,
Tim

Emilio

Sep 6, 2022, 2:50:02 PM9/6/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi Tim,
The a lift_cruise (or stopped rotor) is physically different than a tail sitter. A lift cruise configuration has basically two propulsion systems, while the tail sitter has one. The lift cruise network has the ability to either or both of the propulsion systems. So when you setup your mission you need to pick the unknowns and residuals match what you're trying to do. There are three options: lift, cruise, transition. Transition has both sets of propulsion systems active. Currently the script above is using the cruise option.

-Emilio