Noise Optimization

Nicolas...@gmx.de

Mar 27, 2023, 11:34:03 AM3/27/23
to SUAVE FORUM
Hello, I doing a Noise Optimization Study for a medium range aircraft and based on the script I got some questions you can hopefully help me with:

- the reference speed (approach, sideline, flyover)is not changing when I change it the the mission segments. I could change it about the optimization file, with the problem inputs: V2 and VLS speed increase, and also for the cutback altitude, but I would like to know how the process works within the aerodynamics?
- kind of the same questions, but about the flaps and slats: how can I be sure there is the right deflection for the mission segment?
- I got problems to integrate the plots into the optimization file and does the noise contour plot works? for another file I couldn't get the plots for the noise contour
- I would like to change the origin of the engines: in the B737 Vehicle is a hint that the center of gravity is overwritten in the compute_component_centers_of_gravity(base, compute_propulsor_origin=True) but I couldn't find it. And when I change the origin there is no change for the noise.
- not sure how the optimization/nexus works or how do I see the optimization values within the lb and ub values and the generate new truth data?

Emilio

Apr 20, 2023, 11:55:48 PM4/20/23
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi,
The reference speeds are calculated and not inputs. See here.

Flaps and slat settings are done at the configuration level.

I believe, the noise contour plots were not made to work with that level of Fidelity Noise analysis. The optimization code was supposed to be a quick analysis and not a definitive one. This tutorial uses the F1 noise models and make the plots. You may need to do some splicing to use them for a B737.

The origin location of the engine should change with the compute function, what changes is the relative CG. So relative to the engine origin, where is the CG. I also wouldn't expect a change in aircraft noise from changing the engine location. At this level of analysis we're calculating first order effects and not things like blade noise reflections off the fuselage etc.

-Emilio