wing propeller interaction

xt joey

Nov 8, 2022, 5:15:08 AM11/8/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi, everyone
I'm using SUAVE to preform propeller and wing interaction, i see there is a case, but in this case wing is in front of propeller, does anybody know how to analysis propeller in front of wing, just like Matthew A Clarke did it in his paper:Aerodynamic Optimization of Wing-Mounted Propeller Configurations for Distributed Electric Propulsion Architectures
thank you

Emilio

Nov 8, 2022, 2:16:44 PM11/8/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi,
It's pretty easy to enable, but I will warn it takes much longer to solve than a typical SUAVE case. So I would just use a cruise segment for experimentation.

Here's the options you need to enable in the aerodynamics analyses:

aerodynamics.settings.use_surrogate = False
aerodynamics.settings.propeller_wake_model = True

You'll also find more accurate results if you enable Fidelity One wake methods for the rotor when you setup the vehicle.

from SUAVE.Analyses.Propulsion.Rotor_Wake_Fidelity_One import Rotor_Wake_Fidelity_One

rotor.Wake = Rotor_Wake_Fidelity_One()

Remember to set the rotation direction as that does changed the results:
rotor.rotation = 1  #(clockwise from behind) or -1 (ccw from behind

Let us know if you have any questions.

-Emilio