Classical Mission Analysis

Daniel E.

Mar 17, 2022, 8:55:25 PM3/17/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Is it possible to conduct a classical 0th order mission analysis? For example, use Breguet range to calculate range or induced power equation for hover power calculation? How would you add these methods within the SUAVE architecture?

I would like to do this so that I may get an estimate of performance without having to run the time accurate mission.

thanks
- Daniel

Emilio

Mar 18, 2022, 7:08:23 PM3/18/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Hey,

That being said, it's not hard to make what you want happen quickly. Let me direct you to a couple places in the code that can help you.

First, is this folder. Here you can find functions for L/D max and range and endurance speeds for propeller aircraft. With those numbers the Breguet equation is trivial.

Second, is this folder. You'll find many of the functions above call this folder. These setup a single point mission. Basically it's a snaphsot in time to get values from. For hover you can run a Set Speed Set Altitude with 0 speed.

If you put together something nice and want to contribute it to that first folder, that would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know if you have questions. It shouldn't be overly difficult to do all of this depending on your goals.

-Emilio

Daniel E.

Mar 24, 2022, 4:17:24 PM3/24/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Thanks for the tips. Ill try to put something nice together to add ;)

One thing I am facing right now is that the single point mission "Set_Speed_Set_Altitude" (with propulsion) type doesn't seem to work with the electric vehicle. I want to enable the propulsion model so that I can extract powertrain efficiency for use in breguet range.

Thanks
- Daniel

Emilio

Mar 30, 2022, 2:47:54 PM3/30/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Cool. The propulsion model for electrics doesn't work because without time associated with the mission. Otherwise we can't calculate differentials. Therefore battery rates of discharge can't be calculated. I think everything but the battery could work, I don't think rotors or motors have any sort of differentials.

At a high level, the easiest thing to do would be to create some kind of dummy battery function that does nothing.

-Emilio