Control surfaces in tut_mission_B737_AVL

Richard Z

Oct 9, 2021, 3:25:07 AM10/9/21
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi,

I have noticed that in tut_mission_B737, the vehicle was defined to have flaps, slats and ailerons on the main wing. In tut_mission_B737_AVL, there doesn't appear to be any addition of control surfaces to the main wing. When I tried to add control surfaces (aileron) to tut_mission_B737_AVL, it gives me the error:

 case_res.stability.alpha_derivatives.yaw_moment_derivative      = float(lines[40+num_ctrl][24:34].strip()) # Cn_a
ValueError: could not convert string to float: ''

How would I add control surfaces to the wing whilst using AVL for analyses Aerodynamics and Stability?

Thanks,

ebot...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2021, 3:45:39 AM10/13/21
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi,
Yes, that's a bug. We're in the midst of revamping how control surfaces work in SUAVE in general. Hopefully, this will be cleaned up in future releases.

In our AVL analysis we assume there are control surfaces attached to segments. You need to use a segmented wing geometry. This is because AVL assumes section breaks at control surfaces, so SUAVE needs to know where those breaks are to write the control surfaces. Try attaching the control surfaces directly to the segments rather than the wing as a whole. If you need a segmented wing version there is one in the Regressions folder distributed with SUAVE (just remember to append the control surface to the segment).

-Emilio