Main wing geometry T/C & Airfoil

minjun so

Oct 20, 2022, 10:28:31 AM10/20/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Hello.

I tried to design the main wing with different thickness_to_chord and airfoils for each segment.

The wing consists of a total of 3 segments. T/C in segment 1 was 0.18 and NACA2418, T/C in segment 2 was 0.15 and NACA2415, and T/C in segment 3 was 0.12 and NACA2412.

However, in the first segment, the innermost root chord was designed with T/C = 0.18, but the value was 0.1606....

Also, in the case of airfoils, even though segment 1 and 2 were set differently, the airfoils of the two segments were the same.

Doesn't SUAVE not support different T/Cs and airfoils for each segment?

Below are picture to help you understand.

suave_question.png

minjun so

Oct 20, 2022, 10:31:53 AM10/20/22
to SUAVE FORUM
p.s )  I use SUAVE 3.5.2 version.

2022년 10월 20일 목요일 오후 11시 28분 31초 UTC+9에 minjun so님이 작성:

Emilio

Oct 28, 2022, 9:30:06 PM10/28/22
to SUAVE FORUM
Hi,
SUAVE certainly supports different thicknesses through the wing. They're assigned at the root and are assumed fixed for the segment (SUAVE analyzes it like a wedding cake and not a cone).

 I assume this is a SUAVE-OpenVSP question?

I just checked my OpenVSP import and I think there is an issue with the export. I found the first segment was a little off. It looks like the airfoil are 0 indexed and the segments are 1 indexed in OpenVSP. We do have an adjustment for this, but it doesn't look to be working in every case. The good news it that the import is fine.

We'll create an issue and update this for the next release.

-Emilio