[bases-alumni-updated] BASES Digest [11/11/19]

BASES Digest

Nov 11, 2019, 10:22:05 PM11/11/19
to bases-alum...@lists.stanford.edu
Here are the latest events and jobs/internships opportunities for this week
BASES Job & Internship Opportunities
View this email in your browser

This week's opportunities

Dear BASES members,

Hope Week 8 is off to a good start! This Wednesday, November 13, join BASES for a fireside chat about cloud computing with Nutanix Director of Engineering, Bharat Kumar Beedu, and Partner at Lightspeed Venture Partners, Jay Madheswaran. We will be discussing Nutanix's growth over the past 10 years into a leading infrastructure company disrupting the multi-billion dollar datacenter space as well as interesting opportunities across machine learning, UI, and design available for students. It will be in the Black Community Services Center, from 5:30 - 6:30 PM (food will be provided!).

Furthermore, below are updated listings of the latest events, internship/job opportunities listings, and Stanford Winter Quarter courses that may be of interest. Click on a link to jump to the complete description.
Have any questions or something you'd like us to feature? Feel free to email mle...@stanford.edu with any such events, jobs, internships, or other opportunities.

Best,
Michelle Leung
VP Marketing
Learn more about BASES on our website and social media!
BASES site BASES site
Facebook Facebook
Twitter Twitter

Stanford Technology Ventures Program (STVP) | Events & Fellowship

The Stanford Technology Ventures Program (STVP) helps students grow their entrepreneurial mindset. Below are two opportunities STVP is offering this quarter that you may find interesting:

→ Attend a Speaker Series: Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders’ Seminar (free event)

This season #StanfordETL is hosting a number of speakers who will inspire, provoke, and activate your inner-entrepreneur. Here are a few of the industry influencers taking center stage to share what it takes to become a disruptor:
  • Nov 13 - Arlan Hamilton: Founder and Managing Partner at Backstage Capital who built a VC fund from the ground up, while homeless
Stanford ETL (MS&E 472) is a 1.0 unit course open to all students and can be repeated for credit. If you can not take on any more units, feel free to attend a talk that you find interesting. Check out the full lineup on STVP’s events page.

OPPORTUNITIES
Subscribe to STVP Connect
Connecting you to the latest in tech and entrepreneurship education in the Stanford community and beyond.

Talar | Social media intern

Talar is the first in-home delivery system -- groceries and necessities delivered straight to your fridge & pantry. We’re closing the delivery loop by marrying smart locks with a trusted inventory management system that removes the need to be present for delivery. Talar is YC company and is VC-backed by Khosla Ventures and NFX.

We are looking for a Social Media Intern to lead our social media and branding efforts. This is a unique opportunity to lead social media marketing for a service operating at the last frontier of retail and logistics. You will be responsible for helping to create and execute social media campaigns that educate, inform and convert our target audience. You will have a creative flair and the ability to learn our voice and tell our story at fast pace.

Getting started, you will be tasked with identifying the key topics and trends in our industry. You will learn quickly how to attract and engage our target audience. As an important member of a fast-growing start-up, you will be expected to become an expert and thought-leader on your topics of choice. In addition, you will be responsible for:

  • Defining the objectives and strategies for social media marketing at Talar
  • Managing social media channels and ensuring a consistent pulse of activity
  • Working closely with the rest of the team to support product launches, events and field marketing
  • Develop copy and creatives
  • Connecting with online influencer groups, websites and strategic partners to build co-marketing initiatives
  • Staying abreast of the industry landscape and becoming a go-to source for the latest trends and debate

QUALIFICATIONS:

  • Experience in social media/marketing
  • Excellent written communication skills
  • Creativity and a very keen sense of brand aesthetics
  • In-depth working knowledge of Facebook, Instagram, Google, YouTube, and Pinterest
  • Experience with social media analytics, including Facebook Insights and Google
  • Analytics
  • Basic knowledge of Photoshop and/or Canva

To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Anna Pinol (an...@talardelivery.com)

Venture For America | Entrepreneurship fellowship program

Venture For America, an organization founded by 2020 Presidential Candidate Andrew Yang, prepares recent college graduates for careers as entrepreneurs. As part of their programming they offer recent graduates an entrepreneurship fellowship program. As a Fellow, you’ll gain business skills and professional development at our intensive Training Camp. For two years, you’ll work at a startup in a full-time salaried position, learning how to build and grow a business firsthand. From there, you’ll be ready to be a leader in business or launch one of your own.

Draper Associates | Scouting program

Draper Associates is launching its inaugural Scouting Program at Stanford University this year. Draper Associates was founded in 1985 by the global venture capitalist Tim Draper, whose most prominent investment include Baidu, Hotmail, Skype, Tesla, AngelList, DocuSign, Coinbase, Robinhood, Twitch.tv, Cruise Automation, and Focus Media. The firm invests out of a $190 million fund in pre-seed through Series A start-up companies across a range of industries.

In this year-long program, the Scouts will identify and meet with student-run startups and will invest in a handful of the most promising companies by the end of spring. We intend to form a small team of between three to five Scouts from Stanford. This program offers an incredible opportunity to learn more about the venture capital industry and start-up ecosystem, and should be of particular interest to students interested in future opportunities in finance, start-ups, or technology in general. We intend the time commitment for this is between 1-2 hours each week.

If you are interested in joining the team, please apply using the following form the latest by Monday, November 25th at 11:59 PST. Please apply sooner rather than later, as we intend to interview and select individuals for the program on a rolling basis. Find the application form here.

MS&E 275 | Stanford Course: Intelligent Growth in Startups

This is a class taught by Floodgate Partner Ann Miura-Ko (seed investor and founding board member in companies like Lyft, TaskRabbit, Ayasdi, Xamarin, and Refinery29).

We are hosting an info session for the class from 5-6pm on Wednesday, November 13 at STVP in Huang Basement. To attend, register here.

Students will learn what successful venture scale companies look like in the early days and what these companies seem to have in common. We will explore everything from product-market fit to team construction and  category development. This is not a class in which you will explore a business plan. Instead, we will learn what world class businesses look like. We will use case studies, expert guests, and experiential learning projects in order to fully grasp these topics. Prior speakers include:

  • Mike Krieger | Co-Founder of Instagram
  • Michael Seibel | CEO of YC
  • Ryan Smith | CEO of Qualtrics
  • Heather Fernandez | CEO of Solv

The course will integrate intellectual and experiential learning by combining readings, presentations, and discussions, frequent exercises, live and field examples, and will focus on the process of learning from experience. Please also find a flyer attached with information about the course. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to one of the TAs, Maurice Chiang (maur...@stanford.edu) or Mark Shelton (mark.s...@stanford.edu).

Due to demand, this class is application-based. Applications are due on the evening of the first day of class (January 9th at 9:00PM). Apply here.

ECON 184 | Stanford Course: Institutional Investment Management: Theory and Practice

This is a winter quarter seminar being taught by Rob Wallace, Chief Investment Officer of Stanford's endowment and senior investment staff. Students in Econ 184 will learn the economic theory behind Stanford's investment program and develop a practical framework for assessing asset allocation and active management solutions in the real world.  Students will have the opportunity to learn directly from world-class investment managers spanning public equity, private equity, absolute return, and real assets.

Econ 184 will be a fast-paced and highly interactive seminar class offered to a maximum of 20 undergraduate students, selected by application.  Students must have completed, or be simultaneously enrolled in, Econ 50 and Econ 102A to be eligible.

The course will meet on Monday afternoons in the winter quarter from 1:30pm to 4:20pm at Stanford Management Company's office in the Graduate School of Business.  A mandatory discussion section will be held on Friday afternoons from 1:30pm to 2:20pm.

Interested students should submit a statement of up to one page describing why they are interested in taking the course and an unofficial transcript to eco...@smc.stanford.edu by December 13, 2019.  In addition, if you have any questions, please reach out to eco...@smc.stanford.edu.

CS 182 | Stanford Course: Ethics, Public Policy, and Technological Change

Cross-listed: PoliSci 182, Phil 82, PublPol 182, EthicSoc 182, and Comm 180

In this Winter Quarter course (5 units), our aim is to explore the ethical, social, and policy dimensions of technological innovation. We will be covering a wide range of topics on the frontier of technology and politics today:

  • Algorithmic Decision-Making and Bias
  • Data Collection, Privacy, and Civil Liberties
  • Ethics of Artificial Intelligence and Automation
  • Free Speech and Power of Private Platforms

Three award-winning Stanford faculty are co-teaching the course: Rob Reich (Political Science/Center for Ethics in Society), Mehran Sahami (Computer Science), and Jeremy Weinstein (Political Science/Stanford Global Studies).

Last year, we invited illustrious speakers to the class, including Brian Acton (Co-Founder of WhatsApp), Marietje Schaake (Member of European Parliament), Ellora Israni (Co-Founder of she++), and Reid Hoffman (Co-Founder of LinkedIn). Look forward to more this year.

Check out last year's course website: http://cs181.stanford.edu/. Email Mohit (momo...@stanford.edu) with any questions.

ENGR 245 | Stanford Course: The Lean LaunchPad: Getting Your Lean Startup Off the Ground

Apply the Lean Startup principles including the Business Model Canvas, Customer Development, and Agile Engineering to prototype, test, and iterate on your idea while discovering if you have a profitable business model. This is the class adopted by the National Science Foundation and National Institutes of Health as the Innovation Corps. Team applications deadline is November 15. Proposals can be software, hardware, or service of any kind. Projects are experiential and require incrementally building the product while talking to 10-15 customers/partners each week.

See the course website for more information: http://leanlaunchpad.stanford.edu/. Prerequisite: Interest in and passion for exploring whether your technology idea can become a real company. Limited enrollment.

Alchemist Accelerator | Fellowship Program

The Alchemist Accelerator is kickstarting a fellowship program for entrepreneurial students / young alums this summer-- we want to invite you / any friends that you think might be interested to apply here.

While the position is unpaid, fellows will get access to the curriculum and exclusive networking events at premier VC funds that are normally only available to founders in the Alchemist Accelerator. Fellows play a role in the accelerator -- from business development to media -- which can provide basic training preparation for future career paths. The program starts November 18th and lasts through January 31st.

We are looking for individuals with a strong service ethic to join an incredibly high achieving and fun network of founders and thought leaders in entrepreneurship. If you are interested in learning more / interviewing, please fill out this quick application here. Feel free to forward to lists / friends that may be interested.  We will follow up with invitations to interview if you are selected. If you have any questions, you can email Leon at leo...@stanford.edu, who will be coordinating the program.

Thumbtack | Summer 2020 analytics internship

Thumbtack has opened its Summer 2020 analytics internship application for juniors and masters students. You can find the job posting here.

A little bit of background on Thumbtack: we’re building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project! We started in 2008 and have been changing the $1 trillion US Services Market ever since. We just landed an additional $150M in funding led by Sequoia this year and are using that cash to grow now more than ever! Here are two articles from The Wall Street Journal and TechCrunch covering our recent funding.

At Thumbtack, we pride ourselves on having a highly collaborative environment and a #GO mentality. We move fast, iterate quickly, and work whole-heartedly on improving the product for our end users, and are always looking for bright minds to come in and help shape the future of our product! Our users come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country, and we want our team to reflect that. Also, check out this blog post from our founder outlining our journey thus far.

SpeedLegal | Full stack developer

We are a team of 4 developers using ML to make legal contracts easier to understand and we are looking for a dev to join our team. We have an MVP with 70 lawyers testing it and 10% paying. We are looking for a full stack developer in an early stage startup to create the MVP of the product. Our data scientists have elaborated models to understand the structure of contracts, we now need to build the backend and frontend pieces to deliver the product. We are looking for somebody that is willing to deliver fast and iterate on the learnings and can perform a task in ⅓ of a normal developer. We offer unlimited growth, mentorship and ownership.

Responsibilities are to develop the frontend and the backend pieces that call the data science models we have created. Qualifications include Python, JavaScript, React, and Google cloud. If interested contact hans...@shaforms.com.

Goldman Sachs | Exploratory Program

The application for our 2020 Exploratory Programs is now open! Our Exploratory Programs allow college freshmen and sophomores to learn more about financial services as well as our firm’s business, people and culture. Our goal is to bring students together from different schools, majors and backgrounds and to help set them up for success as they explore future career interests and opportunities. Our program includes skill-building workshops, interactive case studies and networking sessions with Goldman professionals. Click here to learn more.

Diverse Abilities | New York

Undergraduates graduating between December 2021 - June 2023 who identify as having a disability

Pride Summit | New York

Undergraduates graduating between December 2021 - June 2023 who identify as LGBTQ+

Women's Leadership Camp | New York, Salt Lake City and Dallas

Undergraduates graduating between December 2021 - June 2023 who identify as women

Undergraduate Camp | New York, Salt Lake City and Dallas

Undergraduates graduating between December 2021 - June 2023 who identify as black, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, and/or first-generation college students

Veterans Career Summit | New York

Undergraduates graduating between December 2021 - June 2023 and candidates beginning a MBA program in fall 2020 who are military veterans

Virtual Insight Series | Virtual

Undergraduates graduating between December 2021 and June 2023

Application Deadlines:

  • December 1st      Diverse Abilities, Pride Summit, Women’s Leadership Summit, Undergraduate Camp
  • March 15th           Insight Series, Veterans Summit

Exploratory Programs will take place in 2020, late winter through spring. Final event dates will be shared with all applicants. You may apply to as many exploratory programs as you are eligible for & interested in, but can only be selected to attend one in-person program. Apply here.

Please note: Goldman Sachs will provide domestic travel within the U.S. and hotel accommodations.

TigerLaunch | Student Founders

Applications have just opened for TigerLaunch, the nation's largest student-run entrepreneurship competition. We're looking for student founders to join our startup pitch competition.

You will get the chance to present your idea to leading VCs and win thousands in prizes. We'll connect you with our extensive mentor network of founders, designers, and investors to launch your startup to success! Visit our website or e-mail us at te...@tigerlaunch.com.

Uventure Internship Competition | Samsung Strategy & Innovation Center

Samsung Strategy & Innovation Center has launched its 2nd annual Uventure Internship Competition where students can bring their big ideas to life as a 2020 Samsung intern. In the summer internship program, called Samsung Uventure, you propose an idea -- in artificial intelligence, robotics, mobility, digital health, or artificial and virtually reality -- by December 2, 2019. If our judges think your idea is innovative, relevant, realistic and worthwhile, you’ll win a summer internship at Samsung Strategy and Innovation Center in San Jose, California, to Be Your Own BOSS. Last year, 7 out of 8 of the Uventure winning interns came from Stanford.

Duolingo | Software engineering, machine learning, and product management internships and full-time

Come help teach over 300 million people how to learn another language with Duolingo, the world's #1 downloaded education app and the best way to learn a new language! Some exciting new initiatives we're working on include launching new courses like Arabic and Latin, improving learning across all courses, building AI tools for applications like evaluating language difficulty, and disrupting the testing industry with the Duolingo English Test. Working for a company with a strong ethos and a passion for education makes me really excited to go to work every day, and I know some of you can relate.

We're currently hiring for internships and full time positions across software engineering, machine learning research, and product management. We're growing really fast and we value people from vastly different backgrounds, so we can continue to support learners around the globe.

You can learn more about jobs and our culture, and apply at the following link: https://university.duolingo.com/ If you have any questions about the company or my experience, just shoot me an email at nat...@duolingo.com. ¡Gracias por leer!

Window | Software engineering

Window is a 2-sided marketplace for apparel shopping. On one side, Window is a mobile mall curated by and personalized to each user. On the other side, Window is a platform where brands engage communities through content and digital experiences.

I am looking for programmers to build an MVP for Window, my new venture. The MVP would be a mobile application for the purpose of demonstrating to brands and investors. Happy to discuss compensation options.

Please contact Oladoyin Oladapo MBA '20 at oola...@stanford.edu for more info.

Girls Who Invest | Sophomore Summer 2020 internship program

Girls Who Invest is a non-profit organization started by Yale/Wharton alums and aims to increase the number of women in portfolio management and executive leadership in the asset management industry. Girls Who Invest currently has a network of 700+ young women and 100+ partner firms including Goldman Sachs, TPG, Vista Equity Partners, and other financial firms. You can read more about Girls Who Invest here.

The 2020 Sophomore Summer Internship program is a highly-immersive 10 week program held from June-August 2020. The program is meant for candidates who are:
  • Stanford sophomores (any major) with an interest in investment management
  • good communicators and analytical thinkers
  • excited about working in teams and collaborating with others
The program comprises of a four-week intensive academic program led by elite industry experts at universities like University of Pennsylvania and is followed by a six-week paid internship at a prestigious investment management firm where you will work closely with investment teams. Some partner firms of the program include Goldman Sachs, PIMCO, Wellington Management, TPG, among others.

Applications are currently open and will close on November 15th. You can apply here or through the link in the flier and poster. Please note that this is a Stanford-specific link. Please feel free to reach out to me on dsha...@stanford.edu with any questions,

Contrary Capital | Venture partners

Contrary capital is wrapping up its yearly talent search for the next venture partners across the country. VP’s get the chance to deploy up to $500,000 in Stanford startups, and work with a super-talented cast of VP’s across the country to make decisions on investing in companies. We have 80% conversion to top seed funds (YC’s is ~40%). Apply here.

Insight Partners | Analyst program

Insight Venture Partners is a venture capital and private equity firm based out of NYC with over $24B in committed capital. The firm was the primary backer in three unicorn IPOs last year - Smartsheet (NYSE: SMAR), Pluralsight (NASDAQ:PS) and Tenable (NASDAQ:TENB). We invest in software companies all over the world – 40% of our portfolio is based outside of the US.

We are looking for freshmen & sophomores interested in our 2021 summer internship and juniors interested in 2021 full time. Our analyst program teaches world class training in finance, strategy and consulting. Insight analysts go on to be partners at the firm, CEOs of tech companies, top grad schools and more.

Please let me know if you have any questions at jwi...@insightpartners.com!

Cardinal Pitch Club (CPC) | Leadership applications

Founded by Stanford affiliates in April 2015, Cardinal Pitch Club is at the forefront of connecting early-stage startups with reputed, entrepreneur-friendly VCs and CVCs. CPC empowers people with big dreams, ideas and a desire to pitch, and aims to build an elite community of Stanford Alumni and San Francisco Bay Area’s top talents.

Our investment network is composed of more than 30 institutional investors and angel investors, including world-renowned capital firms Sequoia, Greylock, NEA, Intel Capital, A16Z, Polychain Capital etc. CPC currently has more than 2,000 community members, 164 companies in the field of AI, Blockchain, AR/VR, Fintech, Healthcare, and Enterprise, raised over $646M. In 2018, CPC community fund invested 10+ tech focused blockchain companies including IoTeX, Algorand, Oasis Labs, Nucypher, Celer etc. In the meanwhile, CPC organized more than 1000 developers to engage in discussions with world renowned crypto experts, including Turing award winner Professor Diffie, co-founder and CEO of IoTeX Raullen Chai, Professor Dawn Song from UC Berkeley, Zcash CTO Nathan Wilcox, Ethereum lead developer Jon Choi, Cofounder and CEO of Tendermint Jae Kwon etc. The world top crypto exchange Binance was first introduced into the U.S. by CPC in March, 2018.

If you are interested in a leadership role for the 2019-2020 academic year, please fill out this form. Roles available:
  • President (1 opening)
  • Vice President (3-4 openings)
  • Director (5-6 openings)
President role is best suited for students or alumni who have some experience and a lot of energy who wants to leverage the network to serve the entrepreneur and/or developer community. VP and director role is best suited for students or alumni who have not so much experience but are interested in getting into the space while making some contribution to the community. To apply, please fill out this form. Please feel free to contact us at ad...@cpitch.com with any questions.

Inspirit AI | Part-time fall internship

Inspirit AI is a company founded by Stanford graduate students focused on bringing modern Artificial Intelligence education to high school students globally. This includes both the technical knowledge of advances in deep learning, computer vision, natural language processing, etc. as well as the ethical and social considerations required to build socially relevant AI projects. After running a pre-college AI program at leading international schools in India, our team is excited to be working on new initiatives in the coming months!

We are currently hiring for the following part-time roles (paid, 10 - 20 hours/week) to work on campus with our team:

Business Development / Growth Strategy: We are working to bring the program to new locations (Dubai, Singapore, US, etc.) this Winter and next Summer. We’re looking to hire a team member to lead outreach and relationship building with leading schools, colleges, and other education organizations that are looking to champion AI education initiatives for K12 students globally. If interested, we'd love to have you join us at one or more of our programs next Winter / Summer.

Product Manager, AI Education: Spearhead the development of our new online and Zoom-based offerings for high school students. Work with instructors and high school students to develop an engaging and meaningful experience for all, in an online medium. Some experience with CS/AI courses (Python/Keras/Tensorflow) would be helpful. If interested, you could also work on creating exciting new AI projects as part of this role!

If you are interested in the above roles, or are curious about the project you can reach me at ade...@stanford.edu

Boston Consulting Group | Associate and Internships

BCG GAMMA Internship Application Deadline and Process (Class of 2021)
Apply HERE for a GAMMA Full-Time role at BCG by Friday, December 6th at 11:59PM PST
· Learn more about GAMMA here!

Hive | Technical and non-technical roles

Hive is a full-stack deep learning platform that provides enterprise solutions through data labeling and custom ML models. Hive operates the largest data labeling platform with over 2M distributed workers processing 10M+ tags each day. We are the world’s leader in custom model development for enterprises and startups alike, building hundreds of models for customers in all industry verticals. We are hiring for both technical and non-technical roles! Learn more about us at thehive.ai.

The Beacon Fellowship | Summer consulting programs

The Beacon Fellowship invites all Stanford students interested in boosting their consulting, entrepreneurship, or general business skills to apply for our Winter 2019 or Summer 2020 Fellowships. Accepted students learn firsthand from an experienced McKinsey, Bain, or BCG consultant during a month-long consulting project for one of our clients in London, Madrid, or DC.
Interested students can request an application here, and learn more about the Fellowship here

Have any feedback about how we can make this digest better? Let us know by filling out this form!
Website
Facebook
Twitter