Bases Digest - April 27, 2015

Bases Team

Apr 27, 2015, 11:44:11 AM4/27/15
to son...@stanfordalumni.org

Welcome to the BASES Digest! We are excited to bring you your weekly email digest summing up the best events and opportunities happening in and aroun

Digest

Welcome to the BASES Digest!

We are excited to bring you your weekly email digest summing up the best events and opportunities happening in and around the Stanford entrepreneurship community. We look forward to bringing entrepreneurial events and opportunities to your inbox! Please look forward to the digest weekly in your inbox.

To keep up with the latest on BASES, check out the BASES Blog!

Best,
Arushi
BASES Branding

Want more frequent BASES news and job opportunities? Sign up for the BASES mailing list.

What to publicize your event? Email us!

***

In This Issue:

Events for Students and the Community

Save the Date! BASES Challenge Finale on May 8
Kathleen Eisenhardt, Professor for Stanford Engineering, Speaking at ETL
Arabs of Silicon Valley Talk by Mr. Motasim Sirhan
Lunch With SproutBox: Clean Energy Ideas For Entrepreneurial Classes
Products That Count: Best-selling Author of Hooked Nir Eyal on Building Habit Forming Products

Opportunities for Students

PROPEL Program: Call for Applications
BASES 2015-2016 Officer Applications Due Friday!

Opportunities for the Community

Sign up for "Sparks” Classes Related to Entrepreneurship and Innovation

***

Events for Students and Community

Save the Date! BASES Challenge Finale on May 8

Friday, May 8 | Arrillaga Alumni Center

BASES Finale, the final round of the BASES Challenge $100K Competition, will be taking place this year on May 8th at the Arrillaga Alumni Center. Please join us from 2:00pm to 4:00pm as we showcase Stanford's up-and-coming entrepreneurs and budding ventures, winnowed down from over 150 applicant teams. Vote for your crowd favorite and explore innovative ideas and products! Winners will be announced at 4:30pm.

Schedule
10:45 - 11:00: Registration (teams and judges only)
11:00 - 2:30: Judging (sponsors & judges only)
2:00 - 4:00pm: Public Showcase
4:00 - 5:00pm: Award Ceremony Programming
5:00 - 7:00pm: BASES Sponsor Celebration (exclusive event for sponsors, BASES alumni, and Challenge winners)

Kathleen Eisenhardt, Professor for Stanford Engineering, Speaking at ETL

Wednesday, April 29 | Stanford - NVIDIA | 4:30 PM

Stanford Engineering Professor Kathleen Eisenhardt is one of the most cited research authors in strategy and organization studies over the past 25 years. Her research focus is strategy and organization, especially in technology-based companies and high-velocity industries. She is currently studying the use of heuristics and other cognitive strategies, strategic interaction in new markets and novel ecosystems.

Eisenhardt’s latest book, “Simple Rules: How to Survive in a Complex World,” with MIT’s Donald Sull, explores how simplicity tames complexity in business, life and nature. She is also co-author, with Shona Brown, of "Competing on the Edge: Strategy as Structured Chaos,” and author of over 100 articles in research and business journals.

Holder of the Stanford W. Ascherman M.D. Professor, Eisenhardt is on faculty in the university’s Department of Management Science & Engineering and co-director of the Stanford Technology Ventures Program

About ETL: Featuring talks from leaders in technology, business, finance, education and philanthropy, the DFJ Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders Series continues to educate and inspire. Presented by the Stanford Technology Ventures Program and BASES. Please visit etl.stanford.edu for more information.

Arabs of Silicon Valley Talk by Mr. Motasim Sirhan

Thursday, April 30 | Hewlett 102 | 7:30 PM

The Arab Students Association at Stanford (ASAS) is excited to host its second Arabs of Silicon Valley talk.

Mr. Motasim Sirhan has had multiple successful biomedical engineering start-ups. He is founder, former CEO, and Chariman of the board of directors for Avantec Vascular Corporation, which was acquired in 2002. At Guidant Corporation, Mr. Sirhan was responsible for generating more than 2 billion dollars in revenue. He is currently CEO of Elixir Medical Corporation, where he hopes to revolutionize the medical healthcare. As an inventor, Mr. Sirhan has more than 35 patents/pending patent applications.

What is Arabs of Silicon Valley?
As part of our mission to support the Arab community at Stanford, ASAS started the Arabs of Silicon Valley series, which serves as a communication platform between Arabs at Stanford and Arab leaders that embody the Silicon Valley spirit. We are extremely excited about launching this initiative this year, and we hope that it will help build a stronger ASAS community at Stanford and the Bay Area.

We hope that you will be able to join us for this talk as well as future Arabs of Silicon Valley talks. We would also love to hear your thoughts, and we're always looking for ideas and potential speakers.

Lunch With SproutBox: Clean Energy Ideas For Entrepreneurial Classes

Monday, May 4 | Venture Studio NGP CoLab (M101) | 12:00 PM

Interested in taking an experiential entrepreneurship class at Stanford? Join SproutBoxers to talk about clean energy and sustainability ideas and form teams. SproutBox is a Stanford collaborative supporting sustainable energy and green venture formation across disciplines. We connect people across the sustainable innovation landscape through interactive events, tracking active start-up, and targeted advising to accelerate the pace and success-rate of Stanford sustainable energy ventures.

Please RSVP here. Lunch will be provided

Products That Count: Best-selling Author of Hooked Nir Eyal on Building Habit Forming Products

Monday, Aprill 27 | Yelp | 7 PM

In an age of ever-increasing distractions, quickly creating customer habits is an important characteristic of successful products. How do companies create products people use every day? What are the secrets of building services customers love? Nir Eyal, the bestselling author of "Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products", has constructed a framework for designing better products and will share how the world's most engaging products keep users coming back again and again. Plus beer and yummy pizza!

Tickets here

***

Opportunities for Students

PROPEL Program: Call for Applications

It is our pleasure to introduce PROPEL, a startup acceleration program for prototype development from Fraunhofer TechBridge (a program of Fraunhofer CSE) and Greentown Labs. We are seeking innovations that can enable a smarter, interconnected, resource-efficient world through sensing and intervention.

Startups working on innovative ways to build and useSelf-Powered Wireless Sensor-ActuatorNetworks are welcome to apply! Selected startups will receive incubation and prototyping space at Greentown Labs, technical guidance through Fraunhofer TechBridge, exposure to industry strategic partner and investor group mentors, and up to $10,000 in non-dilutive funds.

Think you're a great fit for PROPEL? Apply here!

BASES 2015-2016 Officer Applications Due Friday!

What is BASES?

We are the Business Association of Stanford Entrepreneurial Students (BASES).

At the center of entrepreneurship at Stanford BASES is one of the largest student entrepreneurship groups in the world. We are dedicated to empowering the next generation of entrepreneurs in Silicon Valley and beyond.

Highlights from 2014-2015
* ETL Speaker Series with Kevin & Julia Hartz (Eventbrite), Ben Horowitz (Andreessen Horowitz) and others
BASES Challenge: startup competition to award top ideas for businesses, products, and social change
* Weekly hacking hours and technology skills workshops with Hackspace
* Startup Lunches with Co-Founders and CEOs from across the valley.
* Have an opportunity to get to know these professionals in a 10-15 person setting.
* BASES team dinners, mixers with sponsors, Sunday brunches, spring retreat to Santa Cruz
Professional development workshops with industry sponsors and BASES bus trips to Silicon Valley startups

Application Information and Resources

If you're interested in being on the team next year, please read the relevant information and apply to your top three teams.
Info Session Slides available here.
Application available here. (Team and Program Descriptions are Within Application)

***

Opportunities For The Community

Sign up for "Sparks” Classes Related to Entrepreneurship and Innovation

STVP Sparks are short-term, extracurricular “pop-up classes” on a variety of topics related to entrepreneurship and innovation. Taught by Stanford adjunct faculty or a member of the local entrepreneurial community, each Spark consists of three night sessions, one night a week for three weeks. This makes Sparks an excellent way to expand your entrepreneurial mindset without adding course units

Upcoming Sparks:

How to Raise Money for Your Startup
with Fern Mandelbaum, Partner, Vista Venture Partners
April 28
5:30 – 7:00 p.m.

The Untapped $20 Trillion Market: How to design and sell products and services to women
with Rebeca Hwang, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, Rivet Ventures, and Henrik Scheel, Founder and CEO, Startup Experience, Inc.
April 29 and May 6
6:00 – 7:30 p.m.

Presence, Power and Performance
with Aleta Hayes, Lecturer, Contemporary Dance and Performance, Stanford University
May 11 and 13
7:00 – 8:15 p.m.

Navigating Entrepreneurship: What kind of entrepreneur can you be and how do you get there?
with Jack Fuchs, Lecturer, Management Science & Engineering, Stanford University
May 13 and 20
5:45 – 7:15 p.m
.
Students, staff and faculty are encouraged to sign up. For more information and to register online, visit stvp.stanford.edu/sparks

email facebook twitter
1px
©2015 BASES | Business Association of Stanford Entrepreneurial Students, All rights reserved.
Web Version   Forward   Unsubscribe